Making own BBS02 BBSHD stabilizer bar bracket.

I'm thinking about using CNC services to make my own Bafang stabilizer bar, because the cost of bought one is super high and I don't think so that 20 minutes of machine time max would end up with such a high cost.

So I have a question: what should I add to custom stabilizer? So far I've roughly recreated the shape and now I'm thinking about adding any usefull features. Some kind of slots, holes etc. What would be helpful in assembly? Currently the angle is 30° to mount to a seatpost.

In the meantime I will ask for a quote on stainless and aluminum 3 – 4 mm thick.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bafang_2023-May-02_12-29-54PM-000_CustomizedView29949679875.png
    bafang_2023-May-02_12-29-54PM-000_CustomizedView29949679875.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 7
I think the ones made of thinner material are around US $20, thicker maybe $25? It is a lot for what I think is not a very elegant solution. The whole hose clamp thing turns me off, though you could use through-holes into frame rivnuts etc. I think the "one angle fits all" is also an issue - I have seen some of these designed to allow the motor to be suspended upward or downward.

For my recumbent trike, I'm using a solution from Utah Trikes that is specific to that application but with a design that could be modified to work with conventional upright bike frames. I's a multi-piece machined aluminum thing that I like a lot better than that strap-looking thing:

Attachments

• 20230502_101628.jpg
    20230502_101628.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
I think the ones made of thinner material are around US $20, thicker maybe $25? It is a lot for what I think is not a very elegant solution. The whole hose clamp thing turns me off, though you could use through-holes into frame rivnuts etc. I think the "one angle fits all" is also an issue - I have seen some of these designed to allow the motor to be suspended upward or downward.

For my recumbent trike, I'm using a solution from Utah Trikes that is specific to that application but with a design that could be modified to work with conventional upright bike frames. I's a multi-piece machined aluminum thing that I like a lot better than that strap-looking thing:

I checked the raw materials locally (Europe) and the bracket should be around 3€ of raw materials for 304 stainless 3 mm thick. Shipping from USA would probably be more expensive same as shiping from other country, as there are none available in my country.

I'm intending to fix them to frame via rivet nuts.

Sounds good. I recall I used some longer bolts than provided by Bafang for passing through the thicker bracket material and leaving enough threads to be engaged. Also, I found it was important to torque the BB properly tight. I purchased a socket specifically for this purpose, as the plate steel "wrench" often used was not really up to task.

I'm thinking about using CNC services to make my own Bafang stabilizer bar, because the cost of bought one is super high and I don't think so that 20 minutes of machine time max would end up with such a high cost.

So I have a question: what should I add to custom stabilizer? So far I've roughly recreated the shape and now I'm thinking about adding any usefull features. Some kind of slots, holes etc. What would be helpful in assembly? Currently the angle is 30° to mount to a seatpost.

In the meantime I will ask for a quote on stainless and aluminum 3 – 4 mm thick.

Thanks.
Some one has put a drawing of one on this site

Thanks.
Were you able to machine the piece? Would you like to share the design details, so others can also machine it? Thanks

Back