Meet my custom Sur-ron... Juanito!

48v 2wd 2000w +35mph

Attachments

• Sir.Juan.jpg
    Sir.Juan.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 66
The pedals don't go with the lack of seat height adjustment. Why bother?

Because it's an "ebike".
On a motorbike I would definitely not want pedal cranks.

The pedals don't go with the lack of seat height adjustment. Why bother?
Hi there, Chalo!
You're correct about the seat height, however the it is intended for my son. Another one I'm creating with 27-inch MTB forks is for my wife who is 5ft tall. In order to build one for myself, I'm still looking for a dirt bike-style swing arm that will work. Honestly, I don't want to spend $300 on a swing arm from a stealth bomber.

Because it's an "ebike".
On a motorbike I would definitely not want pedal cranks.
Indeed. Every eBike and eScooter I build MUST be or look street legal. China Grom is another project I have. This has the rare 72 volt brushless mid-drive motor. Since everything is plug-and-play, I plan to change it out for a real Honda Grom with a blown motor, so I'm storing this till then.

Pedals are the loophole
Yeah, it's usurping hard-won bicycle privileges without actually riding a bicycle. Dick move. Better than driving a giant truck as a commuter car, but in the same spirit.

Pedals are the loophole

I'm not sure why equipping a bicycle with a hub motor is suddenly considered a "dick move" or a fresh loophole discovery. Chalo is the real deal; he has helped me and many through several of projects to this day. I don't want any smoke and he may fire as many shots, I'll take it like a champ!

I like it. I like the unique looks, and the performance. Most of the so called legal eBikes aren't fast enough to be safe on busy streets
Check out this eBike project I'm doing for the wife.
Baddie.jpg

I'm not sure why equipping a bicycle with a hub motor is suddenly considered a "dick move" or a fresh loophole discovery.

It isn't either of those things. But what you have there isn't at all a bicycle.

w1e7OhEpVrs5y7xv0ilJgEbW0uEuT00ODPrDliedw5Q.jpg

Swap the pedals for footpegs and put a (moped?) plate on, and everybody is cool with it.

It isn't either of those things. But what you have there isn't at all a bicycle.

View attachment 346400

Swap the pedals for footpegs and put a (moped?) plate on, and everybody is cool with it.

*SHOTS FIRED* I am wounded... haha jk. That's a moped/motorcycle that has been converted to an ebike. Juanito is merely a hub-powered, low-end children's bike. Although it seems a little absurd, losing the pedal for pegs is a matter of preference.

Haha, I understand now... If you uploaded the image and left the remark on my "Charlie Davidson" project, it will make more sense. Aim carefully and exhale slowly before you fire. I'm getting hit with strays!

Last edited:
* Juanito is merely a hub-powered, low-end children's bike.

If the seat doesn't adjust for leg length, then it's not meant to be pedaled. So maybe it's a riding toy and not a moped. But it's not a bicycle unless it's made to be pedaled.

It is a cool toy for your kid; I would have lost my mind to have one when I was small enough to fit on it. But twelve kids out of ten these days need to go out and push pedals instead of throttles. To the degree that we all gotta "use it or lose it", it seems we have a generation that's probably already lost it.

Bi-cycle, 2 wheeled vehicle for transportation.

No requirement that it be pedaled, Kick bikes still qualify.

Sorry, That bloody journalism degree kicks in at the weirdest times.

If the seat doesn't adjust for leg length, then it's not meant to be pedaled. So maybe it's a riding toy and not a moped. But it's not a bicycle unless it's made to be pedaled.
Whether it's meant to be pedaled or not doesn't matter. All that matters is if the pedals are functional. I consider pedaling as an emergency back up. I'm 70 yrs old, and hardly ever pedal, but when I lost power 8 miles from home a few years ago I was glad I had functioning pedals to get me home. FB.jpg

Whether it's meant to be pedaled or not doesn't matter.

I acknowledge that it doesn't matter to you. But words have meanings, and if it isn't meant to be pedaled, it isn't a bicycle.

It's also a dick move to intrude on bicycle rights of way and bicycle privileges when you don't actually ride a bicycle. Those ROWs and privileges didn't make themselves; they were a result of generations of work by good people who weren't faking at being cyclists.

Whether it's meant to be pedaled or not doesn't matter. All that matters is if the pedals are functional. I consider pedaling as an emergency back up. I'm 70 yrs old, and hardly ever pedal, but when I lost power 8 miles from home a few years ago I was glad I had functioning pedals to get me home. View attachment 346465
To defend Chalo, as they are "high-output," lack license plates and in$urance, and don't pedal in the bike lane, we regard your bike and the Surron as "dick-moves." Your high powered electric motorcycle was undoubtedly advertised as "off-road only" when it was sold. Every Stealth and Surron riders I've encountered ride unethically. FYI, A copper may issue you a ticket or perhaps seize your bike, depending on where you live and may lead to every bike being pulled over just to check if its street-legal.

Its a beautiful Bike, but too risky for me to ride on public roads without plates (maybe for a beer run). I'd definitively take it to the trails or off-road for sure though. I was going to build a 48v semi street legal eStealth ($1500 budget) but ended getting a Varla Eagle scooter. Now I cry.

Last edited:
I grew up kind of sneering at people that were over focused on stupid things... Then I realised I had been being a douche, while I still completely fail to comprehend the attraction of some things, I started embracing the stupid in my teens and found out why people did it...

It is a lot of fun.

Now grant you, I am a guy that volunteered to jump out of airplanes, my logic box was definitely not installed properly.

I have myself purchased a $12k BMW z3, with the sole intent of spending 50 grand on it so I could fit in a custom racing engine that was going to an 5 series race team, but hey in my defense I got the motor for half price because the guys who paid the first half never picked it up. In the end I had a hyper modified z3 with 850hp and it could apply every last one of them.

Ultimately I embraced the stupid, it could pass everything but a gas station, still looked like a girls car and was like driving a rocket powered hockey puck.... It was stupid, incredibly wasteful of money and horribly dangerous to my insurance and the points on my license.

It has been 15 years, I still miss that car.

I sold it for a wopping 20k... which honestly did not even cover the costs of shipping parts around during the build.

But ermagurd was it fun.

Sometimes ya gotta stop, and smell the roses as you whiz by them accelerating past 100mph

I was always prone to doing dumb things on 2 wheels, but I tried to keep my stupid in self digesting doses, never felt it was a good idea to spread my stupid all over other peoples worlds.

So I get he came off sounding young dumb and full... off youthfull exuberance, but lets face it, we are not all riding penny farthings to the malt shop, we all want it... a lil better/faster/funner/easier/whatever..

And sometimes you have to kick off your shoes and wade in the fountain, even if it is a lil gross and totally illegal.

I was always prone to doing dumb things on 2 wheels, but I tried to keep my stupid in self digesting doses, never felt it was a good idea to spread my stupid all over other peoples worlds.

So I get he came off sounding young dumb and full... off youthfull exuberance, but lets face it, we are not all riding penny farthings to the malt shop, we all want it... a lil better/faster/funner/easier/whatever..

And sometimes you have to kick off your shoes and wade in the fountain, even if it is a lil gross and totally illegal.

I swear, I was simply keeping an eye out, not attempting to pull a Karen. I was merely stating that a ticket may be issued for Surrons and Stealths based solely on their "hyper" specifications (72v, 3000-12,000w, +50mph). My only concern is that it might make things difficult for the guys who are law-abiding because you're basically passing off your powerful electric motorcycle as a street-legal e-bike which runs on 36–48 volts, 750 watts, and 28 mph.

No worries man, not judging you, I need to learn to type softer or something.

and I get it, I have watched kids rip through neighborhoods on various powered devices for years, then the fun police outlaw them, so they make em louder/faster/whatever and the cycle goes ever on.

I have the chronic urge to not be a pain in other peoples rumpuses, so I generally did my stupid out and away from neighborhoods. bike trails/whatev...

But hell, I kind of want one of those monster ebikes because I have never zipped down a bike trail at 50mph in near silence, I would have the chance to do it like once for 5-10 minutes before I realised how little control I will have if my leg goes numb, and that promise I made my kiddo that I would not do dumb enough things to get deaded by them,... Still kind of want to though.

Maybe it is just me.

Reactions: gdg
Back