Motor - post purchase machining operations

JimW

1 mW
I have read with interest that there are some post-purchase machining operations performed on motors. I think mostly by those interested in high performance.

Anyway, this made me curious. What are these machining operations and what do they do? (are we talking bearing changes, lightening operations, re-winding, what ? )

Thanks,
Jim.

JimW said:
(are we talking bearing changes, lightening operations, re-winding, what ? )
Any or all of the above, and more, depending on what you want to get out of it. :) To find out which of these things you might want to do, you would need to decide first if you want to do any of the things that requires them. If you're not sure, poke around the threads where these are being done, to see if what they are doing with their motor afterwards is what you want to do.

Most likely, you don't need to do any of them, if you are just going to use it on a typical ebike.

SOme of them, like either sealing the motor up better (if possible) or opening it up with a small drain hole for water exit, and/or coating the windings/stator/magnets with something to waterproof them, would be a good idea if you are in a really wet environment, but other than that, leaving the motor alone is usually fine.

Back