• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

My BBSHD throttle is an on/off switch

Is this normal?

I don't have any modulation or rheostat effect when using my thumb throttle: it is either full power or zero power with nothing in between.

Also, with the bike on the work stand in a no-load condition I get the exact same top speed indication when using wide open throttle as when using the maximum PAS setting and slowly rotating the pedals by hand. I thought that maximum PAS was only 85% power and that the throttle added the other 15%, but this seems to indicate otherwise.

None of this is a big problem, but I would like to know if others with BBSHDs have experienced the same effects.

After a test ride, I see that this is just occurring under no load conditions. Could there be a torque sensor in there somewhere because it acts normally when the wheel is on the ground as opposed to in the air?

On the bike stand, the motor might kick in kind of sudden after some travel is applied on the thumb throttle (regardless if either voltage or amps programming) but it should have some degree of modulation proportionally to the movement of the

thumb slider.

Unless your controller is set to 100%, 4.2V all along throttle.

You need to hook it up to a PC/laptop with a programming cable and software.

Then you can find out how the controller is configured and go from there.

WoodlandHills said:
After a test ride, I see that this is just occurring under no load conditions. Could there be a torque sensor in there somewhere because it acts normally when the wheel is on the ground as opposed to in the air?
Not sure if you added this after posting, or I just didn't see it but; if the ' Throttle Handle ' is set to ' Current ' in the programming software, then the throttle will act like you describe with a no load situation. The bike has to be on the road and providing some resistance to the motor, for the throttle to work properly.

There's no physical torque sensor, it's controlled by the software.

It's the same for the bbs02, we have some kind of modulation but you should try it out at higher speed and you will see the diference. Once it kick in try to set it back a little bit and it will slow, just be very careful because it is very sensitive.

I have a 48V 500W BBS02 on a tadpole trike. I love the PAS and seldom use the throttle, but because the throttle cuts in with such a strong "jerk" I always let the motor rev up under PAS before hitting the throttle. That way all the slack is removed from the drive system and the throttle then continues to accelerate smoothly. Even at speed, if I have to back off on the throttle I first let the PAS take out the slack before hitting the throttle again. I believe this technique will save unnecessary wear and tear on gears, sprockets, etc.

I have experienced the same effect (BBSHD kit, left hand throttle option) where the throttle doesn't give part throttle response. At part throttle I get max throttle on street or on bike stand with brake pressure. My vendor provided me a new throttle and controller, the new throttle gives part throttle response now as originally expected. This is my first ebike project and I'm not sure if I should also swap the controller for the new one because the vendor jumped to the conclusion that it was the controller. I hate to burn in the vendors controller if I don't need to. Should I expect my old controller will damage the new throttle as well? I have time since we are melting off over a foot of snow now.

Back