• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

My buddy's EV conversion

mikefish

100 W
Being a big Land Rover fan, he decided to convert his old 1971 Land Rover series II

http://adventure-ev.com/

He is not skimping on any parts what so ever! (im so jealous!) :lol: just look at that motor! daaaaaammmmmnn!

and dont forget to check out them batteries...oh if i could just sneak a couple of those away from him! :twisted:

he has the smarts to do it, and he set a deadline of getting it done before the end of the year! wish him luck!

I see that you are converting a series II Landy. I have converted a series II and a defender used for game viewing in South Africa using lead acid batteries and a 19kW, 1500RPM, 120Nm DC-motor (with brushes) and chopper type DC-controller. This combination works well and there is sufficient torque and a top speed of 40mph. I keep the original gearbox, so all the 4-wheel drive features remain intact. I use no water cooling at all.
I was at the EV exhibition in Shenzhen China last November but find it very difficult to communicate with the Chinese. I saw the trend was for LiFePO4 batteries and permanent magnet synchronous motors (they call them brushless DC-motors).
I found the lithium batteries firstly too expensive and too fickle for use in the bush, where temperatures reach 120 F, so I settled for lead at 312V, 130Ah. However, I want to use a synchronous motor and controller, which must have similar speed and torque to my DC-motor and be totally enclosed and air cooled.
Have you decided on a battery / motor / controller combination and where do you get it from? The EV market and EV conversion market does not exist in South Africa. I am grateful for any information and pointers in the right direction.
Regards
Anton Komar
anton@greenrover.co.za

Back