My first build, GNG Mid-Drive Kona Stinky Deluxe

Wishes said:
This bike just got converted to a Winter Snow Bike. I will be building a new bike for my summer riding.

Going to use another GNG / Lightning Rods kit again? I'm trying to ascertain if present users would stick with these crank drives if they had the choice, or go to a hub drive. There is lots of excitement with the crank drives right now, and for good reason, but I wonder how much of this is due to the "new and shiny" factor.

CdnE90 said:
Wishes said:
This bike just got converted to a Winter Snow Bike. I will be building a new bike for my summer riding.

Going to use another GNG / Lightning Rods kit again? I'm trying to ascertain if present users would stick with these crank drives if they had the choice, or go to a hub drive. There is lots of excitement with the crank drives right now, and for good reason, but I wonder how much of this is due to the "new and shiny" factor.

I am actually doing both. I already owned a second gng kit with LightningRods upgrades sitting on a shelf. That is going to go on another DH frame that I have yet to aquire. I also ordered, and happen to receive today, a monster 5kw hub motor. That is going on a modified Strong GT-S210 ebike frame. This second build, is really a "for the hell of it" project. I remain a loyal believer of mid drives as the best solution out there.

Wishes said:
CdnE90 said:
Wishes said:

I am actually doing both. I already owned a second gng kit with LightningRods upgrades sitting on a shelf. That is going to go on another DH frame that I have yet to aquire. I also ordered, and happen to receive today, a monster 5kw hub motor. That is going on a modified Strong GT-S210 ebike frame. This second build, is really a "for the hell of it" project. I remain a loyal believer of mid drives as the best solution out there.

That's interesting. Even as a GNG owner, I'm not convinced mid-drive is the end all, be all platform for e-bikes for everyone. I think, especially for relatively flat commuting, that a hub motor can be more beneficial for some users. However, it will ALWAYS be mid-drive for me. Being able to use the bike's gears and removing the rear wheel like a normal bike is fantastic.

Anyhow, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I'd love to see some videos of this ski bike in action. :D

No worries skyungjae, its a thread on personal builds. I have another thread specifically for the winter ebike.

I agree with you, mid drive is not the end all of solutions for ebike. The ability to use my bicycle gears and also the coolness factor, how many mid drive ebikes do you see riding around? There is a forum member, Bee that lives in the same city, I think we are the only 2 mid drive bikes in our part of the Country.That is why I love mid drives. But they do have their disadvantage. They tend to be more expensive of an initial investment. Installing is much more complicated. And having more moving parts, means more things can break or wear out.

In my case, I over volt everything I use. At 4kw, I replaced almost everything in my bicycle's drive train 3 times over last summer. Chains, rear cassettes, chain rings, bent BB, bent jackshaft, ruined freewheels ect... Bicycle drive trains are just not made to handle that kind of power. That is why I am building hub motor road bike.

The second GNG kit I have, is going to go on a DH frame dedicated to trails and offroad. I plan on limiting its power to around 2500 watts. With the use of the gearing, at 2500 watts, it will still climb anything the wheels can keep a grip on.

But for someone using a ebike for commuting, and keeping power levels under 2000 watts. The gng kits, especially with Lightningrods upgrades, is a reliable solution. And probably one of the most efficient on battery usage thanks to the gearing.

Wishes

Ecobogan said:
Mate that thing is PROPER!! Tracks on a DH?? lovin that bro. NIIIIIIIICE

Thanks mate. It is an absolute blast to ride. Not good for all snow conditions, but fun none the less :D

Back