My recumbent cargo bike

I'm sorry to hear that Warren, and I've always enjoyed the knowledge you've shared about recumbents. You wouldn't switch to a tadpole trike?

thundercamel said:
You wouldn't switch to a tadpole trike?

My first recumbent was a lean-steered tadpole trike, I designed in the 1980's. Fun in a parking lot, but terrifying in town, looking at my reflection in a Buick's chrome wheel covers. Also, a non-leaning trike has the same problem as a car. It only moves in yaw...no roll. The only thing better than a bike is a hang glider. It moves in all three axes. I wanted to hang glide more than anything, but knew I would be dead in no time. Bikes were a compromise. Cars are coffins for those already dead, but just don't realize it.

Warren said:
I am really thinking I am done this time. I am an old man. My wife is slowly fading too. We barely make one whole person between the two of us. It would be selfish to keep riding at this point.

You can see the bridge I crashed on, in this post back here.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78828&start=25#p1186474

That ride was only 6 years ago. Seems like a hundred years ago now. The world, and I, have gone through hell since then. 33,609 miles on the cargo bike now.

Well, I've enjoyed following this thread and reading your accounts of long rides these many years. I've also really liked your bike design and how your repurposed both the bike and the battery. I'm not going to pretend to have good advice on whether you should continue or stop riding. That's just too personal of a decision and dependent on things I couldn't know.

But either way, thanks for the stories and pictures.

Warren said:
I am really thinking I am done this time. I am an old man. My wife is slowly fading too. We barely make one whole person between the two of us. It would be selfish to keep riding at this point.
If the opinion of this medical professional has any merit to you- anytime someone older gives up a hobby this dear to you, you're gonna loose way more than you realize in physical capacity and mental clarity. I second Thundercamel about switching to a tadpole.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
If the opinion of this medical professional has any merit to you- anytime someone older gives up a hobby this dear to you, you're gonna loose way more than you realize in physical capacity and mental clarity. I second Thundercamel about switching to a tadpole.

Getting crushed by a log truck, or a dually pickup, while riding a trike, is no better than crashing a two wheeler.

One week after this wreck, my wife went into the hospital for ten days. I am now doing the cooking, cleaning, shopping, bill paying, and making sure she takes the right medicines. No time for riding, and no intention of taking any chances with my health right now. Running trails through our woods to relieve stress.

Hope you do not give it up completely but long rides maybe out as long as you need to be there for two.
My crash almost two years ago slowed me down and was trying to get back into it then my mother fell and broke her hip, had to take care of her now need to try to get back into it again but my batteries need some attention and may need replaced from neglect. But still want to. My last ride had to peddle for ten miles and was out of shape. battery was out of balance and shut off due to low string.

ZeroEm said:
Hope you do not give it up completely but long rides maybe out as long as you need to be there for two.

My fantasy, at this point, is that we will move into a retirement home with medical assistance. I would then hire my engineer buddy to build my dream FF MC. Basically, an Energica Experia drivetrain, in a FF maxi scooter like Royce Creasy's design.

https://bikeweb.com/node/3434

Then I could ride back to Wisconsin to see my old high school buddies. It is good to dream. :)

I'm reminded of "The Straight Story" movie, old guy gets his riding lawnmower on the road to visit his brother, has many adventures.

The diagram has the rider somewhat farther forward than I like, but that's just a baseless intuition. If I remember right, your rig goes pretty far out back anyway, and the battery will affect the center of gravity a lot too.

Back