Need brakes upgrade for etrike conversion.

pullin-gs

1 kW
Brakes were fine on the TerraTrike before my etrike conversion......now that it is over twice as fast under epower the two stock front disk brakes seem inadaquate (noisy and gets VERY hot).
I think an upgrade is in order. Thoughts?

".... the two stock front disk brakes seem inadaquate [sic] (noisy and gets VERY hot)."

Two properly adjusted disk brakes should be very adequate for an etrike. My etrike with two 160mm disc brakes, 300kg mass loaded and 35kph has plenty of stopping power.

Disc brakes are designed to get very hot. If the discs are getting so hot that they are discoloured, you will need to replace them. Larger discs will help dissipate the heat.

As for the noise, there are many reasons that may cause this. including brake rub, caliper misalignment, brake pad contamination, brake pad glazing, etc. All of these causes can be rectified.

Use regen braking to do most of the braking work to keep your mechanical brakes cool and ready for emergency stops. Plus you get the added benefits of more range and reduced electric bill (for charging), not to mention far less brake maintenance time and cost.

John in CR said:
Use regen braking to do most of the braking work to keep your mechanical brakes cool and ready for emergency stops. Plus you get the added benefits of more range and reduced electric bill (for charging), not to mention far less brake maintenance time and cost.

I use a geared hub motor (motor disengages when coasting/braking), so regen braking is not an option.

Perhaps just improve the quality of the pads, plus learn to ride so that you need to brake less. This takes some time, the fun of running fast is very seductive. But you simply get off the throttle, or stop pedaling a bit sooner when you know a stop is coming. I took some time for this too myself, when I went from lots of 30 mph e bike riding, to a 90 mph gas scooter. At first, I used a lot of brakes. Now I just coast farther.

A bigger rotor might be a good first modification too, just the rotors and some spacers for the brake mount. But again, modifying how you ride may be all you really need.

Right now though, a noisy stop indicates the pads at least are roached.

Thanks for the tips on going with a bigger rotor.....maybe get a set with calipers also. That sounds like a pretty easy mod to make on the trike.
My stock brakes are 150mm Hayes HMX1 brake set....not very good brakes to begin with.

Just got around to upgrading my discs to floating 160mm discs.
New discs are much quieter, and look great also.

Aww too late,
I was going to chime in and suggest one of those speed controllers that does PWM based regen. You pull a brake lever and your motor regenerates based on how hard you pull the "e-lever". Pulling the lever all the way down is enough to lock the rear wheel up.

Glad you got the new front brakes working.

Back