Need some info on this hub

pdarnett

100 mW
Bought a rear hub motor and wheel from ebay and have spent a good part of today sorting it out. First the wires were completely twisted and stripped, so all removed and replaced. Tested out ok, a little noisy and to be fair a bit slower than I expected, this was supposed to be a 350w motor. Just wondering if its worth pursuing this wheel and it seems to be a bit oddball, it's very wide and is threaded both sides. If I'm going to use it I may have to ease my frame out a bit if I'm going to have any chance of getting a cassette on it. It's an AYW-SD-1 by the label, not much info out there. Plus the axle arrangement looks to have some bits missing so I'm hoping one of you guys can advise. Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2966.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 371
looks like a standard ebay motor

The threads on the opposite side are for adding a disc brake adapter. If you don't have disc brakes you can cut the threaded section off with a hacksaw or angle grinder. I generally use an angle grinder. Just be careful. :)

Thanks for that I may end up taking an angle grinder to it! Not sure its going to be powerful enough for my mountain bike though, seem a bit lack lustre. Don't want to got through the hassle of lacing it into a 26" wheel only to find its a bit poor perfomance wise. May end up re spraying the hub and sticking it back on ebay! Least the wiring will be ok!!

mlt34 said:
The threads on the opposite side are for adding a disc brake adapter.

In the original installation, the hub was probably fitted with a band brake. Band brakes are weak, fade-prone, and fussy to adjust initially-- but man are they cheap. Still not worth it IMO unless you have some reason you can't use rim brakes.

Getting 44mm International Standard disc brake adapters for freewheel threads is possible, but not as easy as you'd think. It's much easier to get the cheap 'n horrible 48mm Chinese nonstandard kind of adapter, which confines you to using only cheap 'n horrible Chinese nonstandard rotors that don't come larger than 160mm as far as I know.

Weak little gearmotor. It can handle 350w, but not 1500w. I wouldn't bother to lace it myself. Sounds like you want to climb real hills, and this will get up 5% ok, but not much more. To clarify, it will climb steeper, but overheat itself doing it.

Back