• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Neumotor 44xx series anyone?

Hi,

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/FAQs_&_setup.html
Number of poles?

The 11,14,15 and 22 series motors all have 12 slot stators and 4 pole rotors.

The 12 series motors have 24 slot stators and 26 magnet poles.

The 19 and 17 series motors all have 24 slot stators and 8 pole rotors.

The 44 series motors are 36 slot stators and 12 pole magnet rotors.

Well, Steve Neu finally got around to finishing the 44-series motors. He started work on these several years ago. I used to play a prototype 4400 core he kept on his desk. When he did the 22-series, which is a bit smaller in diameter than the Astro 32xx, but longer. They were real beasts, though. We used to call them "BAMs", for Big-Ass Motor. :) I still have a 2215, but the kV was pretty high (435?) so it has a huge P62 6.75:1 planetary gearbox. I was going to use it on a bike, but never got around to it. It was around then I got into the Astros.

I've known Steve for years. He's a great guy. I worked with him on the original 1900 series motors, which we called "ORKs", for OutRunner Killers. These had large diameter stators, like an outrunner, and were 8-poled, so they were real torque monsters. Like all of Steve's motors, these had extremely high efficiencies, and were perfect in high-power RC helicopters. We used to use the more traditional 4-poled 1500 series inrunners, but these required a gearbox to get the RPM down and the torque up. At the time, the cheap Chinese outrunners first started to appear, but they weren't very efficient, so they ran hotter than hell in our helicopters. The 1912/ORK was an instant hit, because it had more torque than the best of the outrunners, but were extremely efficient, so they ran cool as a cucumber.

When I first got into ebikes, I asked Steve about doing a bigger version of the 1900, but he already was doing the 2215 and 2230. these were really more like bigger versions of the 1500 series, having the same long 4-poled format. He did show me the 4400 test stator he was working on, which was intended for a giant 40%-scale Cessna 152. He said it would be 12-poled, and would be able to put out about 15-20,000W, I think.

Anyway, I'll give Steve a call tomorrow, and see what's up with these. He might have access to some different, controller options. He's real close with Patrick, at CastleCreations, and he has one of the 400A/SHV controller prototypes. He used this to run the 4400 test motor. Even though Castle didn't take the SHV series into production, the 4400 still needs something to run it. I'll definitely look into this.

-- Gary

I have already asked all of these questions as I was hoping to use his motors on my bike. I haven't called, but sent several emails. I assumed that either he wasn't interested or out of business as I didn't receive any response other than one email that said simply "motor not available". Then I noticed that the newest thing of the website was from 2007 and figured I was barking up the wrong tree. From the website though, it looks like he builds some awesome motors. I'm intrigued to see if someone else from e-bike land can get a response.

Yeah, Steve is not so good with responding to email inquiries. He ignores most of them. :roll: :) He does, however answer phone calls. I have a call into him now, but he is out.

He has a very laid-back work ethic, mostly due to living in arguably the best place on the planet (San Diego...), but his people are great, and work very hard. His motors are without a doubt of the highest quality possible. He uses stators that are wafer thin, made from the best steel he can find, to keep eddy currents as low as possible. The magnets are made from a very high quality material that comes from somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think. He has two guys who live across the border, in Mexico, hand-wind each stator, literally at theirkitchen tables. This is a true art form, and these guys are able to get as much copper in as is physically possible. The cases are machined in China, and I think he gets the bearings from Japan.

Anyway, I'll try and see where he is with the 44-series.

-- Gary

Hi Gary,
GGoodrum said:
Well, Steve Neu finally got around to finishing the 44-series motors. He started work on these several years ago. I used to play a prototype 4400 core he kept on his desk. When he did the 22-series, which is a bit smaller in diameter than the Astro 32xx, but longer. They were real beasts, though. We used to call them "BAMs", for Big-Ass Motor. :) I still have a 2215, but the kV was pretty high (435?) so it has a huge P62 6.75:1 planetary gearbox.…
Please ask about the possibility of using the P62 6.75:1 planetary gearbox with the 44-series motors. A lower kv with a 6.75:1 reduction unit could be a good combination (equivalent to 20kv or 30kv output from the GB?).

GGoodrum said:
He did show me the 4400 test stator he was working on, which was intended for a giant 40%-scale Cessna 152. He said it would be 12-poled, and would be able to put out about 15-20,000W, I think.

-- Gary
Sounds like a high power, high quality Colosus.

GGoodrum said:
Yeah, Steve is not so good with responding to email inquiries. He ignores most of them. :roll: :) He does, however answer phone calls. I have a call into him now, but he is out.

He has a very laid-back work ethic, mostly due to living in arguably the best place on the planet (San Diego...), but his people are great, and work very hard. His motors are without a doubt of the highest quality possible. He uses stators that are wafer thin, made from the best steel he can find, to keep eddy currents as low as possible. The magnets are made from a very high quality material that comes from somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think. He has two guys who live across the border, in Mexico, hand-wind each stator, literally at theirkitchen tables. This is a true art form, and these guys are able to get as much copper in as is physically possible. The cases are machined in China, and I think he gets the bearings from Japan.

Anyway, I'll try and see where he is with the 44-series.

-- Gary

I need to get over my preference of not doing business over the phone. It seems less accurate, and, in a way, less personal, than email, or even snail mail. My phone stinks too. I'm still only 99% committed to the modded HXT and Steve's motors are the 1%. I'm really looking forward to what you find out.

I lived in Ocean Beach for almost a year. I worked temp jobs when I needed to, slept outside most of the time, and basically just learned a lot about people. Other than that, I didn't feel the need to become very productive out there. I spent many days sitting on the cliffs just being. It was nice. I understand.

So....did you ever find anything out?

Back