• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Bafang Crank-Drives

Drove by a bike shop this morning and saw a beautiful orange frame Fixie with lime-green aerospokes (6 star spoke wheel). Super sexy looking. Thinking that's my birthday present (november) and adding a bbs-01 (christmas present) to it.
I've never rode a fixie bike before but I would think that bike is pretty light-weight and a perfect candidate for a bbs-01.

edit: hrrm, only has front brakes, no rear brakes. :shock: can switch between fixed or freewheel mode.

nukezero said:
Drove by a bike shop this morning and saw a beautiful orange frame Fixie with lime-green aerospokes (6 star spoke wheel). Super sexy looking. Thinking that's my birthday present (november) and adding a bbs-01 (christmas present) to it.
I've never rode a fixie bike before but I would think that bike is pretty light-weight and a perfect candidate for a bbs-01.

edit: hrrm, only has front brakes, no rear brakes. :shock: can switch between fixed or freewheel mode.

Why not the BBS-02, I thought you wanted 750w 48v 25A? Also, drilling the townie downtube..its an alloy frame, right? If so no rust issues, but strength problems(?)

RoadWrinkle said:
nukezero said:

Why not the BBS-02, I thought you wanted 750w 48v 25A? Also, drilling the townie downtube..its an alloy frame, right? If so no rust issues, but strength problems(?)

Yes, I may spring for the BBS-02. I'm a speed freak! So I will talk to lecrewse about buying a kit from him later on. I need to do some research on the fixie bike first. It's a cheap and flashy bike, and I like cheap and flashy. lol.

The townie frame is some kind of alloy. Probably won't risk it to drill. I'll leave it be.

btw, I responded to your thread in the other post about bbs-01 73mm mounting.

nukezero said:

You're joking, surely. The whole point of a crank drive is that you can use the gears to get good climbing from low power. If you don't have gears, a hub-motor would be a much better option.

For those wondering about the noise level on this motor, below is a short video where you can hear (or rather not hear) how quiet the motor is. Any tire noise, especially off-road completely drowns out the little noise it makes.

[youtube]jqsMRjOev3k[/youtube]

lcrewse said:
For those wondering about the noise level on this motor, below is a short video where you can hear (or rather not hear) how quiet the motor is. Any tire noise, especially off-road completely drowns out the little noise it makes.

[youtube]jqsMRjOev3k[/youtube]
Yes, I can now definitely say this is nearly silent. Was it wide open throttle?

Rollodo said:
Yes, I can now definitely say this is nearly silent. Was it wide open throttle?

All videos are taken at WOT

d8veh said:
nukezero said:

You're joking, surely. The whole point of a crank drive is that you can use the gears to get good climbing from low power. If you don't have gears, a hub-motor would be a much better option.

Yeah you do have a point , and I was being semi-serious. Hub motor would be better but Id lose the aero rims.

BTW, I still have not figured out how to reset the ODO and the DST in the Bafang LCD. The manual says to press the mode for 0.5s and then press the light button 0.5s to clear the distance, but that doesn't work. Pressing mode for 0.5s just switches the mode to different speed.

If anyone figures it out, let me know.

I would order one too, if I just knew who is selling them.

Way too expensive (for me) to order from the States. I'll wait till chinese start selling these directly to consumers worldwide.

I have the mod-fever with my bicycle.

I kind of want to upgrade my Motiv e-bike bafang bpm rear to the 48v 750w mid-drive. Primary reason is to get 30mph+ top speed with the 11T. I also want to get some flashy rims, 5 spoke aero wheels. As it turns out, I can put on a 8, 9, 10 speed cassette on the aero wheels. But I think I may just go with the 8, Shimano HG-41 sound good?

Aero wheels x 2 = $800
48V 750w BBS-02 = $700
HG-41 cassette = $40

Dang this hobby is getting really expensive... My girlfriend, soon-to-be fiance probably won't be happy with this. :D

nukezero said:
dirkdiggler said:

that's probably not the US version. probably has a limiter on it like my girlfriend's bike.

Damn...Hope NOT. Are you sure your has a limiter? Or its because of 36T/14 gearing that is limiting?

I got my 36v350w from CNEbike aliexpress shipped to Australia... getting it this week(?)

Melbourne said:
nukezero said:
dirkdiggler said:

that's probably not the US version. probably has a limiter on it like my girlfriend's bike.

Damn...Hope NOT. Are you sure your has a limiter? Or its because of 36T/14 gearing that is limiting?

I got my 36v350w from CNEbike aliexpress shipped to Australia... getting it this week(?)

Many of the Chinese kits come with a limiter on it, a software limiter in the LCD system. Mine is limited to 35kph and it is in the programmable menu. Lecrewse's USA version that he got from Bafang has that limited removed.

anyone managed to put one on the specialized big hit frame? or how i can check if it will fit it before buying the bike?
thanks for any advice..

Many of the Chinese kits come with a limiter on it, a software limiter in the LCD system. Mine is limited to 35kph and it is in the programmable menu. Lecrewse's USA version that he got from Bafang has that limited removed.[/quote][/quote]

Is it not possible to remove this limiter ?
I am ready to order this kit but must send to Norway so the Aliexpress kit seems like a god option for me with shipping.

Slowrider said:
Many of the Chinese kits come with a limiter on it, a software limiter in the LCD system. Mine is limited to 35kph and it is in the programmable menu. Lecrewse's USA version that he got from Bafang has that limited removed.

I am ready to order this kit but must send to Norway so the Aliexpress kit seems like a god option for me with shipping.

The limiter is software controlled in the LCD. It is not a hardware limiter. Lecrewse was able to obtain a limiter removed version from the supplier.

Second issue is the throttle maximum is also limited to each PAS setting. So let's say PAS mode 1, 2, and 3 have a top speed of 10, 15, and 20mph respectively. Then even if you use throttle, the maximum throttle speed can only go as fast as the PAS mode that you are in. Again, lecrewse sells a version where the throttle max is independent of the PAS setting. So anytime you use throttle, you will get full top speed.

The third issue is that these kits ONLY come with PAS engaged all the time. That means once you start pedaling, the motor (PAS) will kick in. However, this is an easy fix. You just open up the motor to disconnect the PAS sensor. Of course, you'd lose PAS. There is no way to disable the PAS in the LCD, unless of course, you get a kit that can be disabled.

So I've been riding more girlfriend's bike more and more lately and have to provide some feedback about crank drives.

Pros:
1. Crank drives are smoother and quieter. No vibrations and loud humming unlike hub motors off the line.
2. More efficient to climb hills at lower gear.
3. Seems to save more battery than rear hub motors.
4. Superior center of gravity and weight balance.

Cons:
1. Constantly have to switch gears, increased chain, derailleur, and cassette/freewheel wear.
2. The switching of gears does get a bit annoying especially in stop and go traffic. Unlike rear motors where you can just hammer the throttle off the line up to 27mph, you have to shift atleast 2-3 times.
3. If you try to shift while the motor is at WOT, then it seems damaging to the chain. So you have to feather the throttle and it will shift quite smoothly.
4. My girlfriend is not very good in matching load with gears, so she doesn't know how to properly shift. I always have to tell her go to gear 1 or 2 when we arrive at a hill.

Atleast these motors have a thermal sensor to shutdown the motor if they overheat. That's a plus for inexperienced e-bikers I guess.

nukezero said:
So I've been riding more girlfriend's bike more and more lately and have to provide some feedback about crank drives.

Pros:
1. Crank drives are smoother and quieter. No vibrations and loud humming unlike hub motors off the line.
2. More efficient to climb hills at lower gear.
3. Seems to save more battery than rear hub motors.
4. Superior center of gravity and weight balance.

Cons:
1. Constantly have to switch gears, increased chain, derailleur, and cassette/freewheel wear.
2. The switching of gears does get a bit annoying especially in stop and go traffic. Unlike rear motors where you can just hammer the throttle off the line up to 27mph, you have to shift atleast 2-3 times.
3. If you try to shift while the motor is at WOT, then it seems damaging to the chain. So you have to feather the throttle and it will shift quite smoothly.
4. My girlfriend is not very good in matching load with gears, so she doesn't know how to properly shift. I always have to tell her go to gear 1 or 2 when we arrive at a hill.

Atleast these motors have a thermal sensor to shutdown the motor if they overheat. That's a plus for inexperienced e-bikers I guess.

I think mid-drives help experienced hill riders, but they can be overly complicated for novice riders who are not good at being in the right gear before an incline. I've let many people ride my GNG Stink-E, and the people who haven't ridden for years have a lot of difficulty with it, but regular riders who are used to the hills around here love it.

nukezero said:
Slowrider said:

The limiter is software controlled in the LCD. It is not a hardware limiter. Lecrewse was able to obtain a limiter removed version from the supplier.

Second issue is the throttle maximum is also limited to each PAS setting. So let's say PAS mode 1, 2, and 3 have a top speed of 10, 15, and 20mph respectively. Then even if you use throttle, the maximum throttle speed can only go as fast as the PAS mode that you are in. Again, lecrewse sells a version where the throttle max is independent of the PAS setting. So anytime you use throttle, you will get full top speed.

The third issue is that these kits ONLY come with PAS engaged all the time. That means once you start pedaling, the motor (PAS) will kick in. However, this is an easy fix. You just open up the motor to disconnect the PAS sensor. Of course, you'd lose PAS. There is no way to disable the PAS in the LCD, unless of course, you get a kit that can be disabled.

Thanks alot for the explanation nukezero. I would love to buy a unlimeted version but if i buy from Lecrewse I would have paid maybe 850 with shipping and that is way to much when I can buy a GNG kit with shipping at about 450!

nukezero said:
Cons:

I feel obliged to chime in on the cons.

1. With my current setup (torque sensor, Smart Pie motor), I still have to switch gears to get more assistance from the motor.
2. Don't know how things are in LA, but if you get to 25+ mph here in Brooklyn, you're asking for trouble - safety wise - even with green waves, which you don't get too often.
3. I personally always ease up my pedaling during shift changes to let the chain roll over gradually.

Back