New Bafang Crank-Drives

You need to rotate the magnet so the other side faces the sensor. It's easy to check, there's a red LED in the end of the sensor, which blinks each time the magnet passes - if the correct side of the magnet is facing the sensor.

dirkdiggler said:
samsavvas said:
Kai said:
I took a closer look and found out that the sensor was broken. When unplugging the sensor, the female part came off too revealing three internal contacts. one had a piece of glas. I believe it was the remains of reed relay. I hope I can get a spare speed sensor from Amy.

Green Bike Kit have them as spares!

Savvas

Kai,
I had the same issue and still do. My speed sensor wasn't working, couldn't see anything obvious. I would just set the assist level before I started riding. Stinks not to be able to change settings without powering off/on and it was nice to see speed and such. I then broke the rear triangle which did in all the wiring, cut through all of them.

Savvas,
I see the extension on Green Bike Kit but not the actual sensor. Curious as to how much that part is. It might be worth it to have it again. Wonder if this is a flawed part. I had the kit for only a month or so before it went out on me.

I emailed CNE bikes and will post their reply about a replacement speed sensor.

BTW - the latest price is now $462 shipped for the 750w on aliexpress. How low can it go?

Kai said:
Edit*: I took a closer look and found out that the sensor was broken. When unplugging the sensor, the female part came off too revealing three internal contacts. one had a piece of glas. I believe it was the remains of reed relay.
I hope I can get a spare speed sensor from Amy.

Kai,
If your sensor is indeed broken and a reed switch is involved don't ditch it - it may be easily repairable with just a new internal reed switch.
Or you could try splicing in one of these http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/661-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html from BMS - less that US$4. I would expect speed sensors to work in the same way.
Savvas.

Rollodo said:
Quick question. So I've received the unit, watched the video below, but cannot see him use the outer lockring (the right black one in the pics).

How does that mount?

The black one mounts facing out as per your second photo.
You need a C-spanner for the first plain steel lockring. The user manual says to torque that to 30-40Nm.
Then fit the black lock ring with the open side of the collar over the fist lockring. Use a Shimano Hollowtech spanner with 16 notches and torque that up to 25-30Nm.
This new black lockring makes for a nicer looking install

Those lock rings are the same as what I got with my 36V350W units from NNEbikes and my 250W units from BTN on AliExpress.

All motors have the first four digits as the date code. First 2 digits are the year, second two digits are the month then the next 6 digits are the serial number. My motors with the new lock ring are all made 2014.

Attachments

• BBS01 BBlock nut.jpg
    BBS01 BBlock nut.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,704
jateureka said:
Those lock rings are the same as what I got with my 36V350W units from NNEbikes on AliExpress.

The black one mounts facing out as per your second photo.
You need a C-spanner for the first plain steel lockring. The user manual says to torque that to 30-40Nm.
Then fit the black lock ring with the open side of the collar over the fist lockring. Use a Shimano Hollowtech spanner with 16 notches and torque that up to 25-30Nm.
This new black lockring makes for a nicer looking install
Will this one do as well?

71m4L5YTBPS._SL1500_.jpg

jpo said:
Can a 48 volt battery be used with the 36 volt bafang bbs 350 watt. I am not trying to hot rod my 350 just trying to work with batteries I already have.
thanks
I suspect you would blow the caps in the controller. - Not advised.

Rollodo,
that Park Tools BBT-9 is exactly what I used, but it is not ideal as the head on the tool is so large it hits the side of the motor so puts the tool on an angle so you only get about 2/3rd the teeth engaged.
It was what I had and it did the job, but if I were going to buy one I'd get one like a socket for use with a torque wrench as this should clear the motor case better.

teslanv said:
jpo said:
Can a 48 volt battery be used with the 36 volt bafang bbs 350 watt. I am not trying to hot rod my 350 just trying to work with batteries I already have.
thanks
Samd got an over voltage error message when connecting 42V to a 36V BBS01 see http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=867139#p867139 . The Bafang software allows configuration of the low voltage cut off but not the maximum. Perhaps maximum voltage is factory but not dealer configurable because the number of turns on the stator relates to the appropriate maximum voltage on a mid drive. Running the motor at higher than intended voltage would make the pedal cadence too high for a rider to match.

Thanks for the info.
As for cadence it's a little slow for me and would not mind it a little fast. I'm afraid it will blow the caps if I run higher so I will stick with recommended voltage unless someone knows for sure.

jpo said:
Hey Does anyone know what the max voltage the 750 watt 48 volt bafang crank drive can handle. I am looking at cell man"s batteries. the batteries I like are 14s apposed to 13s which is what the system is designed to work with.
The only reason I want to run more volts is because of the size of the batteries he offers. I need a 15 amp hour battery to make my round trip commute.
thanks
Joe

From a discussion in my build thread I was told 60v cut off by controller. I'm using 15S LiPo and will have to reduce the peak charge to be less than 60v total.

jpo said:
Hey Does anyone know what the max voltage the 750 watt 48 volt bafang crank drive can handle. I am looking at cell man"s batteries. the batteries I like are 14s apposed to 13s which is what the system is designed to work with.
The only reason I want to run more volts is because of the size of the batteries he offers. I need a 15 amp hour battery to make my round trip commute.
thanks
Joe

HVC is 62v.

I'm running mine on 15s lipo with each cell charged to 4.13v (61.95v total) - I get error code 07 - over voltage - if the pack is above 62v. Also, for the first mile or so I get stuttering if I use the throttle until the pack voltage drops a little - I guess the controller is trying to limit amps. No stuttering on PAS though. Not a major issue - just worth noting.

crossbreak said:
The BBT-09 is designed for HT2 cups, if this fits i would better use a well made one like this instead: (Bottom Bracket Tool 11F3)

Doesn't work because of the BB spindle.

I used this bet even that didn't engage fully - did the job though.

An open ended tool like this would work better and you wouldn't need to remove the cranks to check the cup is still tight.

@ kepler - did you get anywhere with your battery mount? I'm really struggling to find a solution that's acceptable on my bike atm.

Hi guys,

I just install the 36v 500w bagang unit, it is a bbs02 unit.
I have it on a 29ner mtb, i find the main chain ring too close to the chain stay, i think this is because of the 46t front ring.
Can any one tell me if the machined adaptors out there change the offset of the front ring or do they still place the chain line in the same place as the original bafang chain ring? reason i ask is my chain line is fine and i dont want it any more outward, just want to fit a 42t front ring for more torque and space between the ring and chain stay.

thanks

I will take some pictures tonight.
Has any one notice that your foot pedal stance is also not perfectly centre with the bafang kit install? any one solved thsi? I am thinking off set crank on one side.

krunchi said:
Hi guys,

I just install the 36v 500w bagang unit, it is a bbs02 unit.
I have it on a 29ner mtb, i find the main chain ring too close to the chain stay, i think this is because of the 46t front ring.
Can any one tell me if the machined adaptors out there change the offset of the front ring or do they still place the chain line in the same place as the original bafang chain ring? reason i ask is my chain line is fine and i dont want it any more outward, just want to fit a 42t front ring for more torque and space between the ring and chain stay.

thanks

Chain rings are limited. Lectric cycles did offer adapters when I purchased my kit a few months back. The adapter is not perfect but works.As you would imagine it will impact the chain line pushing it out 10-15mm. The stock chain line is close to perfect 50mm. With adapter you are looking at 60 or 65. Mine works fine but I am using nuvinci igh.
Another option and what I plan to do with the next build, is to take one of the chain rings that sick bikes sell and with a care drill the 5 bolt pattern to match the holes on the bafang motor. You will have to measure carefully and use a drill press but it can easily be done. This will minimize the impact to the chain line, but still move it over. Some day bafang will offer smaller rings I hope.
In the mean while if you can stand the wait just flip the stock chain ring inside out and it won't hit your chainstay, the chain line will be way off but you can test ride.
For the record I'm using a 36 tooth ring. my main concern was getting up very steep hills without overworking the motor. The thing works great.

Ken Taylor said:
teslanv said:
jpo said:
thanks
Samd got an over voltage error message when connecting 42V to a 36V BBS01 see http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=867139#p867139 . The Bafang software allows configuration of the low voltage cut off but not the maximum. Perhaps maximum voltage is factory but not dealer configurable because the number of turns on the stator relates to the appropriate maximum voltage on a mid drive. Running the motor at higher than intended voltage would make the pedal cadence too high for a rider to match.

Actually it turned out my error was a code relating to a throttle. There are different codes for different versions.

Also, I recently ordered a 250W from Greenbike and a 750W from NNE bikes on the same day. Greenbike unit has been in my shed since Friday, NNE bikes still havent shipped yet - promising for tomorrow despatch . Which is bad news, because the 750W is for my wife's bike. :roll:

amigafan2003 said:
I used this bet even that didn't engage fully - did the job though.
Why didn't the socket type tool engage fully?

krunchi said:
Can any one tell me if the machined adaptors out there change the offset of the front ring or do they still place the chain line in the same place as the original bafang chain ring? reason i ask is my chain line is fine and i dont want it any more outward, just want to fit a 42t front ring for more torque and space between the ring and chain stay.thanks

Eride sells nice adapters - 3mm and 6mm. I have the flat 3mm (130BCD) and it does move the chainring out to be inline with my smallest sprocket. Works fine. But personally I think 'chainline' is an overblown concern anyway! Eride also makes a 6mm adapter with rebates both in the centre (where the motor fastening bolts go) and at the ends of the arms. Not sure what this means in terms of chainline but I suspect that he was trying to minimise any sideways displacement - you may want to contact him via the 'sales' page to see if it might meet your needs.

As an interim neasure you could just try putting stainless washers under the fastening bolts on the gear case - may give you enough chainring clearance. You could also get a 1 or maybe 2mm BB spacer for the RHS (what I did) which will also move everything over to the right a little. I initially used a cassette spacer which works but is a bit excessive (around 4mm) and doesn't leave much thread for the fastening screws on the LHS.

Savvas.

A chain ring adaptor pushes the chain line out slightly, but you will benifit with cooler running temps and more torque for better hill climbing.I run a 34t wide narrow race face 104bcd an its fast enough for me and it runs nice an cool after big hill climbs.

Hi,

Finally my kit (BBS02/750W/C963) arrived from China (China -> Finland) :lol: First I have to clean my bike and uninstall the current Magic Pie 3 kit. Hopefully within couple of days I have everything installed and I can post video review or something. I don't have high expectations of the performance or driving experience because of the great mp3. The reason for the change is to get rid of the heavy back weight of the mp3 hub motor. I wanted to have also more stealthy look. The mp3 draws too much attention from other people...

-rado

Back