• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Bafang Crank-Drives

I sell the 4 arm ones as well. They are more lightweight.

made from 2.5mm stainless steel, very tough! weight: 59g

only 23€ each. I sell 0.8mm spacers to adjust chainline (have a look at the pic below). 3€ each.

I can make 5-arms as well, for 25€ each.

you can also ask freeride he has some of these in stock that he got from me.

Attachments

• 4-arm.jpg
    4-arm.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,700
BTW: Anyone from Switzerland reading that thread and thinking of buying one of the bafangs? Could be worth ordering those together to minimize shipping / customs handling.

Anybody know if there is a new bbs 48v 250w version? I dont thrust the chinese information.Cohnismotor are selling them.see link:

http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=435

Been working on a little design project that has the potential to enhance the BBS drive offering. Ideas are still in the concept and modeling stage but I thought I would throw it out there to gauge interest.

So the idea is to attach an integrated battery compartment that attaches to the drive and frame in such a way that it gives the install an overall OEM look. The idea also is for the battery compartment to clamp to the sides of the drive and act as extended heat sink and as such reduce the chance of burning out the motor under prolonged high load conditions.

At this stage the compartment is designed around 4 x 6S 5.8ah Zippy compact LiPo's but no doubt, there would be plenty of battery options that would fit inside the battery compartment.

So this is the concept.

Drive and battery cover.png

This battery position isn't going to suit every type of bike but it will suit many bikes bikes out there especially bikes with slacker head angles.

This render is just to show how the battery compartment would integrate with the frame.

bike assy.png

Biggest problem with this type of project is the cost to produce them in low quantities. Taking into account low volume laser cutting, CNC folding, Aluminium TIG welding and custom machining of mounting hardware, cost do add up very quickly.

Anyway, I am pushing forward and should have a prototype ready in a few weeks.

And it solves any issue of motor bracing to downtube for heavy duty users, until factory add a lug to a future generation motor.

P.s. by strange small town circumstances I met Timma (Paul) via Gumtree who was selling a B1 Hornet frame by luck. After all that I realise can't use belt drive for obvious suspension belt growth required... But now that means you have me as a clone onboard, waiting for Cellman to get supply.

Looks really good. i thinking of something equal, but i'd like to add a IGH transmission to the box. No more hassle with the transmission at the wheel.

Your upper frame clamp wont fit most frames. I would go for hose clamps. Very tough, looks good if you but some heat shrink on it, and it's universal fit (no gaps and so on)

Looks good Kepler

I like it. It can be made in two parts (left and right) by thermo molding two sheets of poly for your prototyping and low volume initial beta production. Easy to adapt to different battery widths and swap out packs when service is needed this way if you are allowed to disassemble or unfold it. Something in the 3-4mm thickness would prove it out well and be strong enough. Like the idea of a radiator in the front section for a water cooling option. Has mass potential for many mid drive designs. I will take one for certain if you build them. Long term once you have the design worked out, it would be a perfect candidate for injection molding if the numbers justify it.

cheers

Is the 750 w bbs02 powerful enough to drive a 100 kg man up an 20% hill on throttle only? If so what speed can be expected?

Hi Folks,

We're planning our BBS02 test installation 'workshop' this weekend. Workshop is actually overstating things as they'll only be 3 of us and a bit of beer involved. I'm sure someone will take notes and maybe some pics!

However I have a choice of 2 bikes to use as a test bed. One is an old Moulton 20" APB with 2 X 8 derailleurs and the other an old, nicely made 700C lady's frame with a Sachs Orbit 2 X 6 hybrid gear train.

There are various reasons why both frames make worthwhile test beds - gearing (the Moulton has a 56 tooth front chainring and 11 tooth rear high gear) and the difference in wheels sizes of course. But the immediate problem I face is that the APB has v-brakes whereas the lady's frame has long-reach calipers.

The BBS01 kit we have came with a nicely made set of e-brakes I'd like to use. These come with well-made dedicated cables and connectors but have long levers reminiscent of the old Dia-Compe or Shimano 'motor cycle' style, canti/drum brake levers from the early mtb days. I suspect that these long Bafang levers will not pull enough cable to work with v-brakes and might be better suited to the long reach calipers on the lady's frame.

Does anyone have any experience with the BBS01 kit's levers with V-brakes? Do they pull enough cable to work properly without hitting the bars or feeling mushy? I'd appreciate the hive-mind's advice please.

Thanks,

Savvas.

That's an awesome design Kepler, and what a nice render. If you can make it for a 50mm dia downtube, there's still ten new dual suspension frames in my shed with a std BB width 8)

Looks great.

samsavvas said:
Hi Folks,

We're planning our BBS02 test installation 'workshop' this weekend. Workshop is actually overstating things as they'll only be 3 of us and a bit of beer involved. I'm sure someone will take notes and maybe some pics!

However I have a choice of 2 bikes to use as a test bed. One is an old Moulton 20" APB with 2 X 8 derailleurs and the other an old, nicely made 700C lady's frame with a Sachs Orbit 2 X 6 hybrid gear train.

There are various reasons why both frames make worthwhile test beds - gearing (the Moulton has a 56 tooth front chainring and 11 tooth rear high gear) and the difference in wheels sizes of course. But the immediate problem I face is that the APB has v-brakes whereas the lady's frame has long-reach calipers.

The BBS01 kit we have came with a nicely made set of e-brakes I'd like to use. These come with well-made dedicated cables and connectors but have long levers reminiscent of the old Dia-Compe or Shimano 'motor cycle' style, canti/drum brake levers from the early mtb days. I suspect that these long Bafang levers will not pull enough cable to work with v-brakes and might be better suited to the long reach calipers on the lady's frame.

Does anyone have any experience with the BBS01 kit's levers with V-brakes? Do they pull enough cable to work properly without hitting the bars or feeling mushy? I'd appreciate the hive-mind's advice please.

Thanks,

Savvas.

My BBS01 kit (purchased from Lectric Cycles) has two-finger levers, which work well with my V-brakes. Better than the levers I removed, in fact. You can see a photo of levers like those I received in the link below.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/5998/products/BBS_Kit_94b761c7-4e4f-42ff-bae7-ff8bfa5726ed_1024x1024.jpg?v=1385134860

Kepler - I'm all for this system, looks excellent! I would definitely buy a couple and I imagine it would be something we can support going forward. We set these up on a couple of bikes thus far and we have been very happy with the results, it would be nice to have a clean solution for FS bikes with a small frame triangle. Let me know if we can help somehow.

-Chris

Rusty123 said:
My BBS01 kit (purchased from Lectric Cycles) has two-finger levers, which work well with my V-brakes. Better than the levers I removed, in fact. You can see a photo of levers like those I received in the link below.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/5998/products/BBS_Kit_94b761c7-4e4f-42ff-bae7-ff8bfa5726ed_1024x1024.jpg?v=1385134860

Mmmm - they look like old Suntour canti levers don't they. Your levers are somewhat short than the large ones I received which look just like the one posted on (I think) page 26 of this thread.

I'd prefer to use the APB for this trial so I guess we'll just put the levers on the v-braked bike and see what happens.

Thanks for the response Rusty. If anyone else has the 'big' three-finger levers like mine I'd appreciate your experiences with them if using V-brakes.

ta,

Savvas.

Kepler said:
Had a day off today and managed to get the new bike running complete with button throttle and gearshift cutout. The gear shift cutout works perfectly and now allows me to shift any time I want without putting any stress on the gear system no matter what power setting is selected. Button throttle also works as predicted with the simple voltage divider circuit I posted up a few days ago.

I needed to add a some extra tension to the shifter using an O ring to ensure the cutout hall switch was always fully depressed when not shifting.

I stumbled across product news of this switch that attaches to shift cable outer to detect inner cable movement and cut the throttle based on the shift.

http://www.bike-eu.com/Sales-Trends/Product-trends/2013/8/Revolution-in-Bottom-Bracket-Motors-1314760W/
Based on an intelligent gear sensor mounted on the shifting cable, it cuts off the motor drive when the rider activates gear shifting. It eliminates noisy derailleur shifting caused by chain over straining. This new technical solution was developed in the Czech republic and is called 'Gear sensor'. Even in combination with the front derailleur it allows smooth shifting if the e-bike is equipped with a double/triple chainwheel BB motor. The processors enable individual time setting and adjustment for micro-movement sensitivity of the inner cable, to avoid motor cut off caused by cable vibration.

Not as compact as custom, but looks like it has a place in the aftermarket.
Shimano Steps with Alfine 11 Di2 electronic shifting integrated rear hub, 250W mid drive motor would do that all electronically.

PS: I also read TranzX have a shifter based modifier for other e-bike OEM purpose, and caught sight of their tiny new mid-drive:
http://www.bike-eu.com/Sales-Trends/Product-trends/2013/3/TranzX-Presents-Micro-Central-Motor-1214160W/
Looks like it's on the Bosch frame by Kinesis etc.:
001_logistiek-image-1214162.jpeg

Thanks all for the positive feedback on the integrated battery compartment. Hopefully I can get some limited numbers produced at a reasonable price.

deepfraught said:
And it solves any issue of motor bracing to downtube for heavy duty users, until factory add a lug to a future generation motor.

P.s. by strange small town circumstances I met Timma (Paul) via Gumtree who was selling a B1 Hornet frame by luck. After all that I realise can't use belt drive for obvious suspension belt growth required... But now that means you have me as a clone onboard, waiting for Cellman to get supply.

Good to hear you picked up a B1 frame. I am really please with mine.

crossbreak said:
Looks really good. i thinking of something equal, but i'd like to add a IGH transmission to the box. No more hassle with the transmission at the wheel.

Your upper frame clamp wont fit most frames. I would go for hose clamps. Very tough, looks good if you but some heat shrink on it, and it's universal fit (no gaps and so on)

Thanks crossbreak. That clamp is specifically for my frame. The hose clamp will be a good option to make the install more universal.

amigafan2003 said:
I love that Kepler!

If it can fit 9 4000mah 5s 25c Zippy Compacts in you have a customer waiting!

Unfortunately not. It would fit 6 of those cells though

samd said:
That's an awesome design Kepler, and what a nice render. If you can make it for a 50mm dia downtube, there's still ten new dual suspension frames in my shed with a std BB width 8)

Looks great.

Thanks Sam, Those frames of yours have a curved bottom tube so I don't think it would suit this battery box. Those frame with your battery box a BBS drive would be be a good combo though.

newschoolnerd said:
Kepler - I'm all for this system, looks excellent! I would definitely buy a couple and I imagine it would be something we can support going forward. We set these up on a couple of bikes thus far and we have been very happy with the results, it would be nice to have a clean solution for FS bikes with a small frame triangle. Let me know if we can help somehow.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. Those new bikes you are looking to bring in with the Bosch mid drives look unbelievable btw. Good luck with the sale on those.

deepfraught said:
I stumbled across product news of this switch that attaches to shift cable outer to detect inner cable movement and cut the throttle based on the shift.

http://www.bike-eu.com/Sales-Trends/Product-trends/2013/8/Revolution-in-Bottom-Bracket-Motors-1314760W/
Based on an intelligent gear sensor mounted on the shifting cable, it cuts off the motor drive when the rider activates gear shifting. It eliminates noisy derailleur shifting caused by chain over straining. This new technical solution was developed in the Czech republic and is called 'Gear sensor'. Even in combination with the front derailleur it allows smooth shifting if the e-bike is equipped with a double/triple chainwheel BB motor. The processors enable individual time setting and adjustment for micro-movement sensitivity of the inner cable, to avoid motor cut off caused by cable vibration.

Nice find. Will be interesting to see if it becomes available. At least for now we have a hack that does the same thing. I think this mod was one of the best things I have done with the middrive. Probably not so important on the 250W versions but a great asset on the 750W drive.

This system looks similar, it has been in the market for a year. It senses the movement of the brake cable
http://www.bmsbattery.com/accessory/459-hwbs-hidden-wire-brake-sensor.html

Focus Bikes uses this system, I just recently came across it myself. I was quite impressed with that when I saw it. That with a Nuvinci Harmony and you can have a super smooth system. By the way the Harmony is only available to OEM's, but they might open it up to some dealers. I really hope they do.

Avigo said:
This system looks similar, it has been in the market for a year. It senses the movement of the brake cable
http://www.bmsbattery.com/accessory/459-hwbs-hidden-wire-brake-sensor.html
Out for a year? There must be a thread on ES about it ;)
Only problem I can imagine is it would have a reference to determine brake off,on,off.
With gear cable, it keeps going in one direction for downshift, other for up-shift, so the brake switch would treat it as brake on,on,on,on,on and have no power, then up would be on,on,on,on,off,off,off,off,off and would not cut power on the shifts above reference point.

Freshly built bike out for a midnight test ride! Just waiting for the mid drive now.

uploadfromtaptalk1391785943878.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391786008193.jpg

Back