• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Bafang Crank-Drives

There is no import duty payable on bike parts. I've bought several items over $1000 such as you have and paid no duty!

Interesting. Did you get hit with GST and customs forms though??

I have suntour and acera and they're fine for Perth bike paths (done 950kms epowered on this to date, about 1,000 kms before that) - the crank you won't use so keep it spare or sell it on ebay/gumtree. You would get a few bucks back for the deore, probably nothing for the other one. saying all that, if you can afford the better model with better shock I'd recommend it. Buying the whole bike is always cheaper than buying the upgrade parts.

Really looking forward to hearing about your build as this is the direction I'll be going next time. Rich.

astmacca said:
.... ordered..... Now have to wait....
Waiting for the Bafang to arrive is the hardest part. It's all downhill from there (or at least it all FEELS like downhill with the Bafang pushing you along). :)

Tats said:
I have suntour and acera and they're fine for Perth bike paths (done 950kms epowered on this to date, about 1,000 kms before that) - the crank you won't use so keep it spare or sell it on ebay/gumtree. You would get a few bucks back for the deore, probably nothing for the other one. saying all that, if you can afford the better model with better shock I'd recommend it. Buying the whole bike is always cheaper than buying the upgrade parts.

Really looking forward to hearing about your build as this is the direction I'll be going next time. Rich.

thanks Tats. I will definitely report back.

Yesterday I posted a separate thread, with a pic of what is apparently a seal being forced out of the non-sprocket side of my BBS02 (only 160 miles on the odometer). One fellow posted a reply saying that he had simply removed that seal on his, and didn't think it served any real function. Any opinions on that?

FWIW, BMSBattery has yet to respond to my inquiry about it....

c2.jpg

I occasionally feel a bit of surging, or shuddering, from the motor; usually when I take off from a stop. I wonder if that could have anything to do with that seal being chewed up?

beachcruiser said:
samsavvas said:
There is no import duty payable on bike parts.

Are you sure about that. What makes them exempt? I would love to think they are as I am in the same boat as astmacca!

OK - maybe I replied in haste. I agree with suggestions that the information is a bit hard to track dow. All I can say is that I have bought from EM3EV twice, the second purchase costing well in excess of $1,000. The packages were delivered by courier (DHL). At no point was I contacted by customs or asked to fill in anything in the way of declarations or forms. My statement about bike parts stemmed from a phone call to the customs info number. It's what I was told. They were extremely helpful. I have also imported a bike frame from Europe costing around $1,700. Again - no duties, no forms - just straightforward courier delivery.

Savvas.

There are a number of tariff concession orders for bikes, bike parts and electric bikes. All of them waive the 5% duty. e.g. http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L00913

TCO No 0933578 was made on 27 November 2009. It declares that those certain electric bicycles are goods to which item 50 of Schedule 4 to the Tariff applies since the CEO was satisfied that no substitutable goods were produced in Australia. The general rate of duty on these goods is 5%. The rate of duty for the goods subject to the TCO is free.

If the cost of the goods and shipping is over $1000.00 you will most likely have to pay 10% GST on the goods and shipping, or you may get lucky.

Tom L said:
If the cost of the goods and shipping is over $1000.00 you will most likely have to pay 10% GST on the goods and shipping, or you may get lucky.

thanks Tom. Let's hope we are lucky then!

BTW, I purchased my donor bike tonight.
Giant Talon 1 27.5 (specs below). I went for the Talon 1 rather than 2 due to the air shocks rather than coil.
Now the wait for the BBS02 kit so we can get this baby up and running!

FRAME ALUXX FluidFormed alloy
FORK Rock Shox 30 Gold 100mm travel
HANDLEBAR Giant Connect XC 690mmx19mm rise
STEM Giant Connect oversize alloy, 8 degree, 4 bolt
SEATPOST Giant Connect 30.9
SADDLE Giant Connect Upright
SHIFTERS Shimano Deore Rapidfire 30sp
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore 34.9 10sp
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XT Shadow 10sp
BRAKES Shimano M395 hydraulic, 160mm rotors
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M395 hydraulic
CASSETTE Shimano HG62 11-36T 10sp
CHAIN KMC X10 10sp
CRANKSET FSA MegaExo 24x32x44T
BOTTOM BRACKET FSA MegaExo cartridge
RIMS Giant S-XC2 alloy double wall 32H
HUBS Giant Tracker Sport disc, cassette
SPOKES 14G stainless steel
TYRES Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 27.5x2.25

Attachments

• Talon_27.5_1.jpg
    Talon_27.5_1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,054
I've also picked up a bike and ordered kit + downtube battery. Hopefully I'll get everything up and running next weekend.

I intend to use my existing GNG half twist throttle instead of the thumb throttle that comes with the kit. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

111122.jpg

Specialized epic carbon. Im looking at base model though.

This bike a compatible choice?

Bottom bracket is pf30 73mm (43mm diameter) from what i understand.

Carbon frame thoughts or issues?

Thanks

RiverRat said:

Specialized epic carbon. Im looking at base model though.

This bike a compatible choice?

Bottom bracket is pf30 73mm (43mm diameter) from what i understand.

Carbon frame thoughts or issues?

Thanks

As far as i am aware the 73mm BB is no prob.

However, there is a bracket that has teeth that are designed to create indents (as its tightened up) in the metal around where the bearing cup screw in. Stops the unit rotating.

Don't know how that would work on a carbon frame. Does it have metal inserts the BB hardware screws into? Will the carbon part of the frame handle the compression forces?

Be interesting to hear about as one of these days i will upgrade bikes and probably transfer the kit i am awaiting at the moment.

RiverRat said:

Thanks Astmacca Here's a better look at the bottom bracket. Looks like it tapers off really quickly not much metal on the edge. Good / bad ?

Caveat here is that i am not being the most knowledgeable person re: Carbon frames. But what i do know is that if you disturb the structure ( say by denting it) at all it can be a total fwark up.

The "not much metal on the edge" would make me very wary of doing it. The reference to "press fit" in joshseitz's post would concern me as well. Tight tolerances involved and i have seen posts where some people have had issues getting the Bafang into a tight fitting BB hole. From the info so far conservative me wouldn't try it.

PF30 is 73 mm wide for MTB, so it will only just fit. You would have to fabricate eccentric cups for each side of the bottom bracket though for the BBS to fit and provide even pressure on the frame. If you have a lathe, or know someone with a lathe, you can make a couple of cups quite easilly. I made a simple drawing to illustrate. Outside measurements may not be correct.

EDIT: Corrected bottom bracket width.

Attachments

• PF30-adapter.jpg
    PF30-adapter.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,916
I get carbon frames, and am a fan with a brother that manufactures items out of carbon fibre. I don't understand buying a light weight, very expensive frame, with the intent of putting 25lbs/12kg of gear on the bike. It would seem to me the advantage with carbon is to the human powered version, and just bragging rights on the pedelec. Am I missing something?

Tom

tomjasz said:
I get carbon frames, and am a fan with a brother that manufactures items out of carbon fibre. I don't understand buying a light weight, very expensive frame, with the intent of putting 25lbs/12kg of gear on the bike. It would seem to me the advantage with carbon is to the human powered version, and just bragging rights on the pedelec. Am I missing something?

Tom

Every bit of efficiency counts I'm guessing... if you're looking for the practical justification.

Then there are those who just like carbon bikes and the tech. :lol:

skyungjae said:
tomjasz said:
I

Then there are those who just like carbon bikes and the tech. :lol:

My bad, I often lose sight of the age group here. But I do get it on one level or another every time I pull on my White's boots. No one needs handmade boots but they sure are nice on the feet, at 4-5 times the cost of Red Wings. It just seems the performance would be lost with CF frames and a drive system. But if I were smart I'd be rich...

I was getting sick of not knowing exactly what my battery consumption was so I decided to fit a Cycle Analyst completed with custom remote shunt as semi permanent install. Also tapped into the BBS wheel sensor signal and wired this into the CA rather then fitting a second wheel sensor.

While I was at it, I also fitted a Garmin mount and cadence sensor so I could utilize my Garmin 810 when I wanted to. Now I have all the information I could ever want at my disposal. Makes for a busy cockpit but it sure is nice to have.

View attachment 1

Data from today's ride to work. This route is predominantly winding bike paths so to average this speed, you really need to be on the ball. I love the workout I can still get with this setup. I used just over 200Whrs for the 28km covered.

Capture.PNG

If you are interested in more detail, go to this link http://connect.garmin.com/activity/596921673 There is metric button at the top right hand side and the "player" button also on the top right hand side that gives an interesting perspective to the ride.

Back