New Crystalyte Motor series (HT35 / HS35 and HT24 / HS24)

hello,

any recommendations for rims to lace those motors? as the hubs require 12ga spokes, the bmx rims cannot be used.
Im having hard time googling around to find a 16'' motocycle rims here in Europe.

What rims are you guys lacing? :shock: :shock: :shock:

wojtek said:
hello,

any recommendations for rims to lace those motors? as the hubs require 12ga spokes, the bmx rims cannot be used.
Im having hard time googling around to find a 16'' motocycle rims here in Europe.

These motor can take 13g without any problem.

for 20" rim, the available are:
- Alex DM-24 (31mm)
- Alex Supra G (??mm)
- Alex DX-32 (38mm)
- Alex Supra Dome (34mm)
- Sun Rhyno Lite XL (29.2mm)
- Alenation Deviant (30mm)

Ken

i found some information about motocycle rims in older threads on ES but it seems that they take 8-9ga spokes..
At least Excel rims do..

EDIT:

12.99USD for RIM STEEL ACTION 20X2.125 HD 12G 36H
http://www.amazon.com/RIM-STEEL-ACTION-20X2-125-12G/dp/B001CG3YSQ

I wonder how much it weighs..

I have heard again and again that these freewheel better / have less DD drag.
But no real comparisons thus far.

Can someone spin one of these and post a youtube vid?
I'm really thinking about buying one, but this is my reservation.

neptronix said:

That will be a highly subjective and misleading test...
The hub alone wont spin. With a big heavy 26" tire it will spin for days, but that cant be compared to a different bike with a different weight tire. You need identical rims/tires for this test.

-methods

methods said:
neptronix said:

That will be a highly subjective and misleading test...
The hub alone wont spin. With a big heavy 26" tire it will spin for days, but that cant be compared to a different bike with a different weight tire. You need identical rims/tires for this test.

-methods

So in other words it cogs like a mother just like every other DD?
Just looking for a test as in, spin the wheel laced up to a rim, and spin it.
I know it is pretty variable, but i just wanted an idea of it was actually improved ( as claimed ) over the previous motors.

wojtek said:
hello,

Spoke washers can also be used at the hub's spoke flange holes to run smaller gauge spokes.

13/14ga butted spokes are a good option since 13ga at the head fills the hub's spoke flange hole well and 14ga at the threads fits into almost any MTB/BMX bicycle rim. Good quality spokes in a well trued wheel can take a lot of power & I think they're a better option then low quality 12ga spokes.

EDIT: you can also drill out rims to fit larger spoke nipples.

Three questions about this motor from an excited lurker motivated to sign on by these motors.

1.) Can a pair of the HS35 motors be run off a single controller - say something like this Kelly sensorless brushless 24V - 72V controller specced at 75A continuous and 150A peak?
http://kellycontroller.com/ksl7215024v-72v150asensorless-bldc-controller-p-668.html
I understand that a pair of identical brushed motors will split the current coming from a brushed controller but that a pair of sensored brushess motors would not play nice if run off a single sensored brushless controller. I have not seen a discussion about driving a pair of identical brushless sensorless motors with a single brushless sensorless controller.

I think I can source a frame with a front fork with 135mm steel dropouts so I wouldn't have to use a HS24 in front.

2.) Assuming (a) I fail to source the 135mm front dropout front fork and (b) an identical pair of sensorless brushless motors will work well on a single controller would a single controller drive a front HS24 and a rear HS35 without problems?

Of the various resellers for this motor I've only seen one indirect mention of the upcoming Crystalyte 72V 40A brushless sensorless controller.

3.) Who, in North America will be selling the Crystalyte 72V 40A brushless sensorless controller in the near future? A pair of these are my likely fallback position if I can't go the single controller route.

sorry to get back to it, but those rims that you have mentioned - are they OK for 13g radial lacing?
Do you know if they are eyeletted? unfortunately this information is somehow not given clearly on their website.

BTW Crystalyte Europe is providing quality rims but they are only 19mm wide [inside]

itselectric said:
wojtek said:
hello,

- Alex DM-24 (31mm)
- Alex Supra G (??mm)
- Alex DX-32 (38mm)
- Alex Supra Dome (34mm)

Ken

I did originally order my 40amp Crystalyte sensorless controller from europe, but then quickly changed the order with email confirmation from company to an HS rear Motor.

Packag arrives at door and it's a damn controller and not the wheel I ordered, several emails later with no replies grrrr! So I just order the Motor as well. Bit poor service really not answering any of my emails regarding sending the wrong item.

Anyhow I also have my 4 x 8S 5.8ah lipo long sticks arrive as well which made me happier :D I think these will be 66V off the charger...my main question is will this work fine with my 72V 40amp Crystalyte controller? Worried that the LVC will cut off way before the battery pack is empty?

hi,

72v controller's LVC is 55v according to crystalyte europe but i would still advise to double check it..
36-48v can take up to 66v [but not sure if nominal or peak]

EDIT: they say 36v-48v should work with the 66v setup and confirmed LVC at 55v [nominal]

they are very slow to answer emails - best is to call them. They normally pick up the phone pretty quick and are helpful.

I ordered stuff on monday, still no news whether it is shipped or not. Emailed them this morning but no answer.

The only reason i am buying from them is that they are based in Europe so shipping back for a repair or replacement is much cheaper than to US or anywhere else.
Otherwise i would order from Ilia - as i have been having great experience with him with BMC motors, not only best price but excellent service! + he has more ebike products, even the SPOKES!

Spacey said:
I did originally order my 40amp Crystalyte sensorless controller from europe, but then quickly changed the order with email confirmation from company to an HS rear Motor.

Packag arrives at door and it's a damn controller and not the wheel I ordered, several emails later with no replies grrrr! So I just order the Motor as well. Bit poor service really not answering any of my emails regarding sending the wrong item.

Anyhow I also have my 4 x 8S 5.8ah lipo long sticks arrive as well which made me happier :D I think these will be 66V off the charger...my main question is will this work fine with my 72V 40amp Crystalyte controller? Worried that the LVC will cut off way before the battery pack is empty?

I am wondering can the ebikes.ca's controller handle 99.6v (24s2p LiPo)? Do they still need the pre-charge connector (anti-spark) if they have a rocker switch (power switch on the controller)?

How about the cruise control plug? USB connector for the programming setting for the controller? Like the Lyen controller has almost everything offers.

wojtek said:
sorry to get back to it, but those rims that you have mentioned - are they OK for 13g radial lacing?
Do you know if they are eyeletted? unfortunately this information is somehow not given clearly on their website.

BTW Crystalyte Europe is providing quality rims but they are only 19mm wide [inside]

itselectric said:
wojtek said:
hello,

- Alex DM-24 (31mm)
- Alex Supra G (??mm)
- Alex DX-32 (38mm)
- Alex Supra Dome (34mm)

Ken

19mm is very narrow rim, 30mm is the idea rim. You can use 13g spokes, but i believe most of the eyelet rim will not fit for 13g spokes (i am not 100% sure on this.) The spokes hole for HS/HT is good for 12 and 13G, you can use 14G, but require spokes washer to fit the space. The standard Crystalyte factory laced rim and spoke are generally 12G steel spokes, they are strong but doesn't give. So the best combination of spokes and rim that I recommended are:

1.) 13/14G single butted stainsness spokes such as sapim, DT-swiss, Philwood spokes
2.) eyelets rim in 26" Alex Supra BH (disc), Alex Supra 28 (disc), Rhyyno lite, and SunMTX33S
3.) for 20" rim, the choice are limited, Rhyno lite XL is only eyelet that i know

Ken

Edit due to me moaning on lol...

So 55V looks like it's going to cut off way too early on a 18cell Lipo pack which is a shame. They did send me the controller by mistake instead of the motor so I shall have to send it back to them, silly me though I expected it to have a CA connector.....doh!

hi Spacey,

wdym? there is no CA connector on the controller?

Hi Ken,

thanks for the info. In the meantime i found Odyssey Midway rims at half price. So i emailed Odyssey to ask questions and it seems the rims should be pefect for this purpose. It is un-eyelet rim and should fit 12g spokes. [without drilling they say but i am sceptical about it]

It is for my 31kg velomobile with plenty of luggage space for batteries and all so i just want the heavy duty wheel to last long and manage the extra weight :)

I mean there is no CA Cycle Analyst connector on the Sensorless Controller 40amp 72V, was hoping there was so I could maybe use it with my CA and lower the LVC cut off.

ah crap!!!

so we need a stand alone CA ..

wojtek said:
Hi Ken,

thanks for the info. In the meantime i found Odyssey Midway rims at half price. So i emailed Odyssey to ask questions and it seems the rims should be pefect for this purpose. It is un-eyelet rim and should fit 12g spokes. [without drilling they say but i am sceptical about it]

It is for my 31kg velomobile with plenty of luggage space for batteries and all so i just want the heavy duty wheel to last long and manage the extra weight :)
Wow...This rim looks like it can run over anything.
Odyssey-Midway.jpg
It looks very strong! Good choice!

itselectric said:
wojtek said:
Hi Ken,

Holy smokes! looks like a 2.5" wide tire would be the minimum for a rim like that, lol

Ilya at ebikessf.com also advised that all the controllers he ordered from Crystalyte were specced to have the CA interface.

Ilya was also kind enough to answer the question that I posted on this thread on 3/22. For the benefit of others who might not know, Ilya advised that two brushless sensorless motors can't be driven by a single brushless, sensorless controller because the controller uses feedback from the two of three stator windings that aren't energized at any given moment to provide the same controller input that would otherwise be provided by Hall sensors.

I received HS3540 sensored hub motor from Methods today. Methods is nice guy and met him in person. This is so awesome and I am looking forward mount on my ebike.

Now, I need have johnrobholmes do the lacing to a Rhyno lite rim with the 13g spokes. 8)

For some of you wanted see HS3540 pictures. You got it! Here is the pictures. :D

LOL

maxxis snyper 20X2.25 is on the way for the off-road project :D http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/BMX/Snyper.aspx
http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/snyper_0.jpg
and the loved by everyone maxxis hookworm for the velomobile....

neptronix said:
itselectric said:
wojtek said:
Hi Ken,

View attachment 1

Holy smokes! looks like a 2.5" wide tire would be the minimum for a rim like that, lol
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• snyper_0.jpg
    snyper_0.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 2,987
Back