New freeride project - LMX P1

I think if I was going to use two motors I would just put them together and have more power, up the gear for a little more speed and just let the big dog eat!

The two speed planetary could be nice for very little added weigth, but the shifting would take a while because one motor would have to decelerate from max speed and accelerate in reverse :roll:
I worked more on the CAD, I modeled the frame to use a 9c and drive a chain via the disc brake iso mount.
I received my Cromo and my parents are shipping my mig this weekend so the actual build thread should start soon ;)
Lmx-9c-moto.jpg

bzhwindtalker said:
The two speed planetary could be nice for very little added weigth, but the shifting would take a while because one motor would have to decelerate from max speed and accelerate in reverse :roll:
Did you see this thread? http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10998

bzhwindtalker said:

I done some major testing with a Similar 2 speed and the time to stop and reverse a motor up to full speed can be so much faster than you think :wink: , my GB was not a planetary setup.

the bike looks really good! the first thing i would suggest is some sort of brace that goes around the battery box. there should definitely be at least one if not two. maybe one from the crank to just below the seat. and then one further up around the battery. this will help frame rigidity and you'll be able to throw the bike on the ground without worrying about the batteries.

the other thing you probably already considered, but as the rear swingarm moves up - the chain might hit the frame. I'm sure this can easily be solved with a chain tensioner.

btw your video's are great, it looks like you're having a lot of fun! :D

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will simply go for a direct drive hub mounted in frame for this bike.
I just need to find a 6-8kw peak hub with 180mm diameter maxi.

here's a video of the kind of riding I want to do with this bike, that's my heavyly modded GNG bike with footpegs and single stage chain drive.
[youtube]zxQvQ3X5lL8[/youtube]

considered this one??

" Water cooling

We've been working hard on a liquid cooled motor and have succeeded developing a truly leakproof design. We've installed it into a test bike and have began offering it to select customers. The great thing about this design is; all the motors we have sold to date can be upgraded to liquid cooling. Preliminary data shows about twice the output power is possible using this cooling design (20KW continuous and 40KW peak) :shock: . "
IMG_0727.jpg

http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?92-EnerTrac-600-series-In-wheel-Motor/page11

Haha It would properly rip the frame apart ;) My first motor option rigth now is Jhon's 93% eff mini-monster, at 8,5kg it's still a bit heavy but will allow to scale the power levers upwards if 6kw isn't enougth :roll:

Here's my latest vid of urban freeriding on the Blue FR, it pulls like a bullet train :)
[youtube]dLpr9aSfHvE[/youtube]

adam, could this be ran the same way but on other side? So you could keep the original bike crank and rear gears, but run it direct drive like you do?

Probably, but you would have to make a disc brake and sproket setup on the left side. It would not work on my bike due to the asymetrical swingarm. But that would be a very nice ebike setup!

I am looking at rear wheel options rigth now. my first choiche would have been to go with a front 20mm 24" wheel and make a custom axle for it, but as the build is going I am shooting for higher power and consequently more weigth. A front dirt bike wheel in 19" would be just smaller that a 24" bike wheel and be bulletproof. I wonder how much weigth penalty would it be... anybody knows the diameter of a 17" dirt bike front wheel? That's the biggest sise I could find with aluminium rims.. I also need to find a reliable rear brake setup, I don't want to have a brake failure when pulling a wheelie, but pit bike brakes are heavy...

Hi Adam,

I have 17" front wheel, the external diameter is slightly smaller than 24" rim with Holly Roller 2.5" tire but it's depend of the tire that you put on that rim. IF you want something really close to a 24" bicycle rim you need 18" motorcycle rim a 16" rim motorcycle is about the same as 20" rim bicycle.

And your last video is really impressive wow :wink:
Good day!
Black Arrow

Thanks Bruno,
So either 17" front or 18" rear... the issue with front is that the hubs are probably single disc mount, meaning that I will need to run disc and sprocket on the same side. My current swing arm setup has plenty of clearance for this but will be 210mm wide between legs, I feel like to may be too much.
Adam

Hi Adam,

I have used a BMX style HUB long time ago on my electric motorcycle, I think that you can do the same with your motorcycle RIM I let you check this. I strongly recommend changing the bearings in this hub for industrial ones, because those Chinese bearings are often quite cheap.

Hope its help my friend, good day!
Bruno

bzhwindtalker said:
Now I wonder if I should build on a small offroad motorcycle frame like a 85 kx or sx, The sise is right where I want it and they have the geometry all tweaked out already. They weigth 75kg stock for 28hp, I wonder if it's possible to get them down to ~50kg/15kw/1,5kwh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4CMJDeV77U

I started on the frame :) I did not build a jig so I'm a little concerned by getting evrything well lined... I will probably end up using this frame as a prototype, to ride this summer and to build a jig for next ones if the concept proves sucessfull (I hope so!)

I finnaly went for a mid driven 9c front as a single speed. The high efficiency mini monster from John in CR would have been great, with its Kv of 17 and small diameter, but it was a bit too wide and heavy for this project. At 340€ delivered it was decentely priced but i'm just a student :roll: . The 9c option was less than half that price, meaning that I will have some fund for stuff like good suspention components or brakes :)

I will run 20s lipo and reconfigure the motor in delta if I can to get a higher Kv. The motor will power the rear wheel trougth a 14t velo-solo disc mounted sproket, with BMX chain and a 17" pit bike rear wheel. I plan to run 80A peak, so about 6kw, geared for 55-60kph. Gearing changes will be as simple as bolting another cog in front, they make them up to 24t!

Hopefully showing pics of something looking like a moto soon :twisted:
Adam

Cool! Cant wait to see it!

While you wait here's my latest ride video, featuring my once GNG Lapierre blue FR and a lot of snow/ice :

[youtube]VdKNESDhYDw[/youtube]

This was last sunday and my hands still suffer from crispation on the handlebars in -3°C weather! But for once I was very happy with the video footage I got!

Hi Adam,

I currently have front used 9C 2806 front and I'm asking 80$ + shipping I need to put the cover back on the motor because I have open it. But I don't know how it cost to ship this motor to you, pm me if your interested because I will put this motor in a week or two on the sale trade. Since that I'm using a Cromotor this summer I didn't need this motor any longer.

Good day!
Bruno

bzhwindtalker said:
Thanks for the offer Bruno, however I just ordered one! Would have gotten yours otherwise.
Adam

No problem Adam i'm impatient to see this ebike, good day!
Bruno

bzhwindtalker said:
While you wait here's my latest ride video, featuring my once GNG Lapierre blue FR and a lot of snow/ice :

[youtube]VdKNESDhYDw[/youtube]

This was last sunday and my hands still suffer from crispation on the handlebars in -3°C weather! But for once I was very happy with the video footage I got!

mate that was out and out stunning! some fantastic fottage, and well put together. Love how the new bike is looking to. I really gotta get of my ass and get working on my own!

Back