New GNG Mid Drive Brushless 60V650W

The GNG motor shipped at an impressive speed, 3 days and arrived in the morning. I did some tests and made videos of the results. The chain drive is definitely not as quiet as the belt, but it looks ready to handle what can be pumped through the motor. If anyone can suggest another test or video to post, please let me know.

GNG 60V650W Brushless Mid Drive Low Voltage Cutoff Test (40 volts)
[youtube]OOmVayD9qtE[/youtube]

GNG 60V650W Brushless Mid Drive RPM Test at 50 Volts (739 RPM at secondary jackshaft)
[youtube]T5XRueief0s[/youtube]

GNG 60V650W Brushless Mid Drive Primary Chain Drive Runout Test
[youtube]qr0_P9Bbygs[/youtube]

GNG 60V650W Brushless Mid Drive Secondary Sprocket Runout Test
[youtube]xpvWXhW1v1Q[/youtube]

what power supply is that you use ?? also what voltage and amp will it run at ??

i have been looking on ebay for a new one but can not seem to find one with a high voltage and amps output,
the one i have only go upto 20v and 5amps,

In that video it sounds freakishly loud ! is something rubbing on the chain ? or are all the 60v chaindrives GNG's that loud ?

Sheeze and that is with no load , imagine what it would be like on full load ?

It's probably louder then a cyclone kit it sounds like?

The sound is so much worst under, load I tried it. That is why i am replacing both those sprockets and the chain for #25. Not to mention the ratios are horrible on the new chain drive.

Wishes

justlooking said:
what power supply is that you use ?? also what voltage and amp will it run at ??

i have been looking on ebay for a new one but can not seem to find one with a high voltage and amps output,

It's a mpja.com benchtop DC power supply 14602PS. It tops out at 50v 3amps which is just enough for no load testing.

I bought it a number of years ago. I checked the mpja.com web site and the photos and model number are different, but the specs are the same.
http://www.mpja.com/0-50V-3A-Variable-Benchtop-Power-Supply/productinfo/9612 PS/

There is also a 60v 10amp power supply that they sell which would be even better. http://www.mpja.com/0-60V-10A-Variable-Benchtop-Power-Supply/productinfo/9960 PS/

Here is their list of benchtop power supplies: http://www.mpja.com/Benchtop-Power-Supplies/products/2/

kifukarider said:
justlooking said:

It's a mpja.com benchtop DC power supply 14602PS. It tops out at 50v 3amps which is just enough for no load testing.

I bought it a number of years ago. I checked the mpja.com web site and the photos and model number are different, but the specs are the same.
http://www.mpja.com/0-50V-3A-Variable-Benchtop-Power-Supply/productinfo/9612 PS/

There is also a 60v 10amp power supply that they sell which would be even better. http://www.mpja.com/0-60V-10A-Variable-Benchtop-Power-Supply/productinfo/9960 PS/

Here is their list of benchtop power supplies: http://www.mpja.com/Benchtop-Power-Supplies/products/2/

thanks m8 , i will look at them ,, im getting intouch about the 60v 10a one and see if they are getting any more in stock

skyungjae said:
I didn't expect it to sound like that despite actual dB levels.

The chain tensioner is basically the same design as the belt tensioner. There are two metal roller bearings clanking on the chain to hold it tight. With adjustable sheets installed it will certainly sound much better.

GNG 60V650W Brushless Mid Drive Test without Chain Tensioner
[youtube]QWgx0SH4-SI[/youtube]

Under load, even without the tensioner, it is still loud as hell. You will get some of the noise you hear with the tensioner back when the chain is under the stress of a load.

My advice, if you plan on staying under 2000 Watts, stick with the belt driven.

Wishes said:
Under load, even without the tensioner, it is still loud as hell. You will get some of the noise you hear with the tensioner back when the chain is under the stress of a load.

My advice, if you plan on staying under 2000 Watts, stick with the belt driven.

In my experience, the belt starts showing it's weakness at 1500 Watts. At 2000 Watts and my weight, the belt can fail pretty quickly.
I've got my controller tuned down to about 1500 Watts and while the belt has been holding up it will skip above 25 mph under load. So far the belt has been the only think holding me back. My bike is for ready for 2000 Watt baseline and 4000 Watt peak. I just need to install the chain drive and program the controller.

Update: I have the chain drive GNG installed now and it turns out that the skipping I was getting was in the smaller rear wheel sprockets. I removed some links from the rear wheel chain to tighten things up and it has solved the issue. I still think 1500 Watts is probably a good limit for the belt reliability-wise, but I had misdiagnosed the skipping and faulted the belt. There are other people reporting rear wheel sprocket skipping on the original GNG thread now.

so, this kit I know has a good top end speed, say 35-40mph?

How many ahs will I need for a 12 mile commute? Would 18s8ah lipo work?

It can vary widely. If you keep the speed down and pedal some...you can get 12 miles with a smaller pack, but...if you ride fast and don't pedal at all, you must have a much bigger pack to make it. Best of luck.

anybody break down why to spend the extra dough on this one? Its harder to find a battery(if you dont go lipo) and more expensive. What is the amp draw for this kit?

Wonder how this kit does vs a 48vGNG with 30 amps

1KW said:
anybody break down why to spend the extra dough on this one? Its harder to find a battery(if you dont go lipo) and more expensive. What is the amp draw for this kit?

Wonder how this kit does vs a 48vGNG with 30 amps

The difference in price is only $10 and shipping differs by maybe $5. The battery selection isn't an issue because the low voltage cutoff of the 60v650w controller is 40v so it shouldn't interfere with your average 48v lithium battery. I'm running on em3ev's 50v battery which is 52v nominal and I don't run it below 45v.

I haven't used the stock controller except for bench testing so I don't know how many amps it's capable of drawing.

The bigger questions would be if you can tolerate the sound of the primary chain and how many watts you eventually want to run.

The biggest issue on the gen1, was the motor shaft not accepting a sprocket without some machining. At least with the 60v version, you can more simply get the ratios to your liking with relatively stock parts and have a much higher powered setup than the belt setup. A no brainer IMO. You can then run reliably up to 100 volts with the right controller. You will want to change out the support plates to the adjustable ones for certain and rid yourself of the crappy idlers. With these small changes, and a good battery, you have a killer kit for not much money.

There's nothing wrong with 219 chain. Jon is just sticking with his design philosophy of going with an undersize driver to get the reduction he wants without going to a large driven sprocket/pulley. His drivers were too small on the belt drive Gen 1, the sprocket secondary on the Gen 2 and now the primary on his chain drive Gen 1. The result is noise and rapid wear.

If ran at 80volts, a new controller would be needed? Since im running higher volts...what sort of amps can I run to make a small battery last even longer?

Man oh man am I confused now. I have read through page after page and even more confused.

Here is my scenario, Giant DH Team and wanting to try a mid drive after breaking an axle on my 4065. I will be running an over kill Lyen 18 FET and have 18 6s 5000 batteries which I would like to run either 18s or 24s and whatever amp hours to equal a 35 mile trip that I would take with the 4065 fast anchor.

Is it safe to assume that with this gear ratio on the 650w chain drive at a safe amperage (30 or 40 amp? 2000 continuous and peaks of 3000 watts?) I will have at least as much torque as the 4065 had on 24s 65amps or around 6000 watts? Top speed of at least 40mph? Past this I'm thinking Cromotor but all that more weight on the tail is freaking me out considering I'll have to go motorcycle rim/tire combo.

Last off I already have a isi crank arm to use with the factory BB and know about the modding need to adapt the kit but wonder if the front freewheel on the crank sprocket needs to be replaced with the sick bike parts heavy duty unit?

Thanks for the help,

Tom

litespeed said:
Man oh man am I confused now. I have read through page after page and even more confused.

Here is my scenario, Giant DH Team and wanting to try a mid drive after breaking an axle on my 4065. I will be running an over kill Lyen 18 FET and have 18 6s 5000 batteries which I would like to run either 18s or 24s and whatever amp hours to equal a 35 mile trip that I would take with the 4065 fast anchor.

Is it safe to assume that with this gear ratio on the 650w chain drive at a safe amperage (30 or 40 amp? 2000 continuous and peaks of 3000 watts?) I will have at least as much torque as the 4065 had on 24s 65amps or around 6000 watts? Top speed of at least 40mph? Past this I'm thinking Cromotor but all that more weight on the tail is freaking me out considering I'll have to go motorcycle rim/tire combo.

Last off I already have a isi crank arm to use with the factory BB and know about the modding need to adapt the kit but wonder if the front freewheel on the crank sprocket needs to be replaced with the sick bike parts heavy duty unit?

Thanks for the help,

Tom

AT 3000 watts, the stock gearing ratio of the 650v kit, you should hit about 65kmh. Hitting higher speeds than that with that setup, is more a question of getting good alignment on your rear cassette so you an use the smaller gears without chain skipping. And my quick estimate, you are going to need 15 AH to get your 30 miles trip at 40 mph.

Wishes

15amps for a 30 mile, 40mph commute! Thats great efficiency.Any issues running one like this? i know the motor/controller would be fine. I would be worried about derailer breaking into spokes or something.

Back