New project, need help and input for design specs.

I am looking for recommendations for the ideal 36-48V, 10-15ah battery to mount inside the frame triangle hanging from top tube off my cyclocross frame.

I want to design a bike similar in appearance only to this bike by Hi-Power Cycles
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?productId=109&categoryId=16

I am trying to source out a battery that will meet my design needs for a small thin light weight battery.

Total length cannot exceed 20” long, 3” thick, and 6” deep.

I would prefer one already made as I do not wish to by individual cells and construct my own. I am hoping to find someone already making something similar.

Ebike of New England offers a custom battery that mounts to the water bottle attachment points that nearly fits the bill. There battery is a LiPo 36v 12ah that weighs 8.7 lbs and is sort of cylindrical tube shape measuring 16” x 3.9” x 3.5”. This will work unless I can find a 36 or 48v version that is skinnier to fit under the top tube so I have more leg clearance. I would prefer a LiFePo4 battery if I could get near the weight and size.

Additionally I am looking for a good 20-30amp controller that is longer and skinnier than the common 6 x 4 x 3..if such a thing exists. I want to mount his inside the bag with the battery.

I want to buy a pretty much plug and play setup, and preferably, from a source inside the USA. My target investment goal is around $1500, for hub motor with DISC brakes, 700mm rim w/ 9spd freewheel, batteries/charger, controller, thumb throttle, CA, and material for homemade battery bag.

For more detail, This will be my first E bike and first build. I am good mechanically with bikes but am weak in the electrical area.

I am a very fit 40 something cyclist and runner, average around 100 miles a week. I am under 160lbs fully dressed and am looking to add a rear geared 350-500W hub motor on an extra bike I have to use for my morning 20 mile commute to work. I do not have access to shower facilities and need to get to work in the summer without being a sweaty mess. I plan on using ZERO assist on the way home as part of my training so free wheel and light weight are mandatory.

My bike is currently setup as a double in front 39/53 and 9 spd rear 11-32.

I am hoping to be between the 15mph-20mph speed going to work (with light pedal input). I live just south of Chicago IL, (USA) in a nearly completely flat area.

Easy as pie actually, to pedal around 4.5-5" wide. So the list includes the 48v 15 ah pingbattery.

But the way you get a battery that small and light, is the way they did. Hobby King for RC lipo packs. About 2 inches by 2 inches by 6 inches per pack. Pairs of em fit inside that 4" wide easy.

Because of where you live, you should look up Chicago Electric Bikes. Not sure what dimensions he has, but Lester sells a small and lightweight battery.

63corvairsprint said:
Ebike of New England offers a custom battery that mounts to the water bottle attachment points that nearly fits the bill. There battery is a LiPo 36v 12ah that weighs 8.7 lbs and is sort of cylindrical tube shape measuring 16” x 3.9” x 3.5”. This will work unless I can find a 36 or 48v version that is skinnier to fit under the top tube so I have more leg clearance. I would prefer a LiFePo4 battery if I could get near the weight and size.
Have you actually tried a bike with this battery? I rode one the other day with an identical looking battery from AmpedBikes, and there were no issues with leg-knee clearance.

tubefull.jpg

Back