New/Re-build. Drop Deck Omen e-Chief (Dual VESC/R-Spec 63mm)

sl33py

10 kW
It has begun.
My board being stolen is an "opportunity" to build it's replacement with the minor/major improvements i wanted anyway...

Components:

Deck - Omen Chief. Credit to rs4race who got it built originally. I called and spoke with the folks at Omen and they had a double thick deck i was able to score. I have it routered out partially already to sink the electronics and batteries into the deck bottom. I want to tweak it just a little bit w/ some CF "bling", but it's just about perfect right now.
20150817_140456.jpg

I was curious so i weighed it. Just the deck (mostly routed out) - 7.6lbs/3.45kg. Will not be winning any "lightest e-board" comparisons... (29mm thick!)

Motor mounts - Torque / DIYElectricSkateboard.com new "v1" fully adjustable:
DIYElectric-2-2.jpg

Motors - dual Onloop / Enertionboards.com R-Spec 63mm 190kv:
how-to-install-motor-pulley-electric-skateboard-enertion-1.jpg

ESC's - VESC's the only way to go! I got two from Jamesonotc and just finished swapping connectors (xt-60->xt-90, and 4mm female connectors replaced wire leads to motors):
20150816_010743_001.jpg

Misc Electronics - Will definitely have a Watt Meter (shows peak Amps, Ah consumed, Watts, etc.), and possibly a voltage display or "fuel gauge". Going to use an anti-spark XT-90 for power "switch". Just thought up a great way to do it the other night (literally just waking up and came to me - nothing ground breaking, but neat tweak) so need to fiddle with it and test.

Still a LONG way to go. Planning to reinforce the deck bottom w/ CF square tube (trying to maximize battery area and minimize flex). Also thinking to try laying Carbon Fiber into battery pockets to reinforce it. Looking at difficulty of vacuum forming now... Don't know what i'm doing but it will be a fun adventure! Ideally and somewhat uniquely (i think) setup to be modular.

I envision 2 typical configurations:
1. Short range/low profile setup - 4500mAh batts w/ 5000mAh swap packs. Almost flush with deck and the *super stealth* configuration (also lighter/more portable).
2. Longer range setup - 5-8Ah batts w/ cover that will stick down below deck.
Both will keep ability to easily swap batteries to extend range (pull cover easily w/o tools and swap packs).

Speaking of weight... It's not going to be an ultra-light. But i hope to keep it in the 15-20lb range. Dual motors, big wheels (83-97mm), etc. 7.6lb deck means it's going to be heavy.

Low-tech charging - No BMS, regular old RC car charger for the packs between rides. As part of the primary/key modular concept - pulling batteries to charge needs to be as easy as pulling them to swap and extend range.

I'm at least a week away from some of the final bits to arrive. Not counting time to further recess/router the bottom for batteries.

Will be on hold until then, but feel free to comment away. I am reserving the "unveiling" of the deck bottom until i have electronics installed. Will show all then. Just to build anticipation a bit.

You wouldn't respect me if i gave it up too easily right? :wink: hehehe

Has anyone tried the Mellow board style battery approach of

Making a bus for a pouch lipo that allows the battery to slide/snap in similar to power tool battery packs?

Hi Sl33py, good luck for your new build.
I supposed there is no good news about the stollen one?

subscribed ! this omen deck is rock solid ! You can dig into the board to make areas to host batteries.

the drop is challenging as it lowers the deck to the ground and requires to use risers in order to have enough clearance for the motors ?

sl33py said:
I was curious so i weighed it. Just the deck (mostly routed out) - 7.6lbs/3.45kg. Will not be winning any "lightest e-board" comparisons... (29mm thick!)

You wouldn't respect me if i gave it up too easily right?

Damn! In comparison, my baseboard, with a 30mm cavity in the centre for batteries is under 2kg... I think the current build is around the 1200 gram mark?

Regardless, I am interested to see you fully uncloaked, in all the glory down below. If you are anything like rs4race, I can think of a few tricks to use that will really make you smile. All smooth and hard and looking fantastic.

Vulthor said:
Hi Sl33py, good luck for your new build.
I supposed there is no good news about the stollen one?

Thanks! Unfortunately not. I've been checking local area craigslist, ebay, etc. It's pretty distinctive so should be easy to spot.

I'm looking out for local kids as well - likely the guy wearing my Santa Cruz hat w/ roadrash!

okp said:
subscribed ! this omen deck is rock solid ! You can dig into the board to make areas to host batteries.

the drop is challenging as it lowers the deck to the ground and requires to use risers in order to have enough clearance for the motors ?

I'll be running 83-97mm wheels (not sure which yet), so i don't think i'll need risers. I'm going to mount them up and check clearances before i do too much more (i can router out some additional wheel clearance into the deck if needed).

I *really* loved the GBomb drop deck since it gives me foot placement for acceleration and braking to brace yourself. This will be even better w/ more area and grip tape to make it extra secure.

bandaro said:
sl33py said:

You wouldn't respect me if i gave it up too easily right?

Damn! In comparison, my baseboard, with a 30mm cavity in the centre for batteries is under 2kg... I think the current build is around the 1200 gram mark?

Regardless, I am interested to see you fully uncloaked, in all the glory down below. If you are anything like rs4race, I can think of a few tricks to use that will really make you smile. All smooth and hard and looking fantastic.

Bandaro - dude, not fair! There is no comparing your carbon fiber, hollow cavity, baseboard with any normal deck, let alone a double thick wooden deck!! I'm going to try my hand at some CF on this one to save weight and reinforce the battery/electronics areas... but there's no way i could build a full CF deck like yours. You are just showing off and rubbing it in now... I'm jealous for sure.

I'm trying to maximize flexible battery space, so i can run my smallest/lightest A-Spec 4500mAh batteries, with 5000mAh swap pair - almost flush. OR a bigger set of 5800-8000mAh w/ a shaped cover that sticks down a bit below the deck. I'd love to play w/ forming some CF for both, or might do Kydex (since i have some kicking around). Kydex is easy to form and should be durable if scratched. Not sure how many layers i'd need for CF (5.5oz cloth carbon/kevlar) to be light/durable. Feel free to make suggestions. I figured i'd do one layer at a time until it feels reasonably stiff.

Adding a couple teaser images and updates.

Thick Deck:
20150813_080813_001.jpg

And pump for CF vacuum bagging plans!
20150823_222828.jpg

Work bench is a bit of a mess, but lots of little project in the works while i wait for CF spar to finally show up. Pretty much last components needed to finish the wood work and let me start CF bagging.

I"ll have another build up soon. Omen e-Sugar. Should be a great guest board w/ a single SK3 6374 149kv motor or backup for GF.

chaka said:
Nice! Looks about as thick as one of my boards, how much meat did you leave when you routed the battery compartment?

It's either going to be awesome, or it will be kindling for the fire... There really isn't going to be a middle ground.

So, pending the CF square spar showing up i'm on hold.

Currently the battery area is about 18-19mm deep. I would like to widen in to accommodate some of my wider/larger lipos (70-75'ish mm), then go down to 22mm and reinforce w/ CF to make up any weakness. I'm guessing 6mm remaining thickness, but a center area full thickness, then reinforced with the 22mm CF spar inset. Makes sense in my head considering not a structural engineer... I may add one or two layers CF to the top if i don't think it's strong enough. Just depends on how the bottom goes.

I have a friend at work w/ a cnc router for wood, so he is mocking up an MDF cutout for me to verify it's all how we want it before routing out the bottom further. Then it's setting in the CF spars and vacuum bagging last.

Is it possible for you to time how fast your vacuum pump can pull 29 inches of mercury? Im looking for a vacuum pump for a future project for skateboard wheels and definitely the final thing to complete all are eboard builds.

chuttney1 said:
Is it possible for you to time how fast your vacuum pump can pull 29 inches of mercury? Im looking for a vacuum pump for a future project for skateboard wheels and definitely the final thing to complete all are eboard builds.

Sure thing. What volume do you want me to connect to and test. It's damn near instantaneous with just closing the valve obviously. If i measure a 1 liter bottle we'd have a good benchmark i guess (i think i have a 1 liter bottle of Tonic i can sacrifice).

If you know approximately what volume you will be vacuuming i can try to emulate and test that as well. let me know.

If super fast vacuum is a requirement (can be helpful when vacuum molding kydex), i've seen some really simple home-brew surge tanks made w/ PVC! Again you need an idea of the volume you want to vacuum to size the tank properly. It lets you use a slower/weaker pump for forming.

Here's an article worth checking out on building a surge tank. One thing i don't see that i heard in the Youtube video (linked), is using a better type of pvc for the pressure. Seems smart and worth the extra $. Also probably worth the extra $ to build in the access cap vs fixed cap like on the video vs the article.

HTH - GL!

An old gas bottle can make a great chamber as well. Fit two air hose plugs on it and you should be sweet, can double as pressure and vacuum. Just don't use a 44 gallon drum or something, they will be a flat disk when you come back the next day...

I have almost everything and working with my friend to finish routering out the underside. Changing plans slightly so hopefully it works out easier and will be less work to lay in the CF. Instead of two battery "channels" - one big area should *greatly* simplify wiring!

I did get the eagletree i'm going to put into the bottom half of the cover for the "usual" stats - mAh consumed, peak Amps, peak Watts, voltage, etc. Plus added benefit of modular to capture/log temps and rpms! Soldered the rpm sensor leads on my VESC the other night and have temp sensors to install at some point.

Anyone know what on the VESC i should monitor temps on specifically?

Here's the Eagletree v4 w/ bare wire leads (not in pic but now has XT90's):
20150908_211221.jpg

whitepony said:
how heavy is the sum of your components at the moment? was shocked how heavy my setup is - alone the big abecs weight tons, dual motor combo doesnt help either. :?

I'm kind of afraid to weigh them. Those 97mm wheels are BEASTS and HEAVY!! I'm trying to save weight everywhere else i can. Simplifying the enclosure should let me run batteries in series easier w/ less wire. Eagletree logger vs watt meter is a little lighter. CF wherever possible instead of wood or ABS. Lighter/smaller batteries being hopefully the biggest difference. I'll weigh up the rear truck w/ motors... it's going to be a bit painful i think...

But it should be sleek when it's all together!

I also worked in the garage this weekend - made some progress cleaning out lots of junk and got a couple more shop lights up for better light. Productive. I built the bottom half of my vacuum table as well. 2'x4' plywood w/ 12" extension from my work bench with a slick "whiteboard" finish on about 16"x48" bottom half w/ vacuum port on bottom. So i can use a membrane w/ sealed edges and anything that fits should work! Inserted some 3/8 bolts to secure to my work bench instead of clamps. I should be able to dance a jig on it! 3/4" plywood w/ 12" secured to the bench with four 3/8 bolts and washers. Bench is two 3/4" sheets on top and 4x4 legs. Beefy.
20150911_224001.jpg

Before i bolted it down, and cut a slot X for vacuum in the center.

Hey Sl33py, sounds like you are on final countdown.. Tududu du, tududidudu... Yeah end of my night work impact my joke level.

However, can't wait to see the board achieved, ;).

Vulthor said:
Hey Sl33py, sounds like you are on final countdown.. Tududu du, tududidudu... Yeah end of my night work impact my joke level.

However, can't wait to see the board achieved, ;).

:lol: There's the "final countdown" commercial on tv now so it made me chuckle.

Yep - You and me both! I can't wait to get it actually moving. The routering of the underside should be complete this week. I finally have the CF tubes to install. Have the CF sheets and epoxy. Electronics coming out of my ears... Just need to get it done. Will try to get at least most of it done before a week travel at the end of the month... or i'll be hiding out in the garage when mom-in-law is visiting when i get back! Bonus?

The rear truck, mounts, motors, and 97mm flywheels = 6.47lbs / 2.9kg. :shock: I have the front truck, wheels mounted, w/ the board, so not sure what that will add. not going to be a lightweight, but will get some curls in maybe?

sl33py said:
:lol: There's the "final countdown" commercial on tv now so it made me chuckle.?

:D

Well you board will probably close to 9kg I think.

Router out the battery space has take a ton more time than expected... Hope to have actual pics of the bottom this weekend with the CF ready to lay down.

Spent some time tonight getting itchy cutting some CF for practice runs on a spare board... It's a loose plain weave meant for structural bits - not the prettiest but nice and strong i hope. 12k about 9oz:
20150930_004426.jpg

(thanks Vulthor - fixed image so you should see it now)

damn CF is sexy... Can't wait to get it laid down and vacuum bagged!

Hey Sl33py, can't see the image, happy to see some news by the way :)

hey there, I am considering the vacuum pump, I am actually molding many pieces but it's a pain to make the carbon fiber stick to the mold perfectly.

I used a clothes vacuum bag with a hover yesterday.. it was nice but it didn't kept the pressure. I want something more professional than this hover stuff which was a fail. Result is OK but impredicable.

IMG_3950.jpg

I will also use it in my upcoming project with a CF deck.

do you have any thought on this one : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3S-POMPE-A-VIDE-CLIM-FRIGORISTE-DOUBLE-etages-42-Lt-min-electrovanne-vacuometre-/190680830797?hash=item2c6576934d ;

it's 150 euros in France but I found this one in Italy, same price but has some additional pieces

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3S-KIT-POMPE-A-VIDE-42-Lt-min-MANIFOLD-UNIVERSEL-MANO-CLIM-R410A-R407C-R134A/141563299536?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620091323%26meid%3D19bb052efb784a7cbe200aded90855da%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D110769285183

I will have also to get the vacuum plastic bag and some additional sheets.

Back