Newb 1965 Schwinn Typhoon E-bike Build? (hello)+(questions)

ihategeeks

100 W
THIS BIKE BUILD HAS BEEN SCRAPPED BECAUSE IT HAS NO BRAKES. :lol:

Hello strangers. This is a comprehensive introduction/Q&A session on the subject that brings us all here, ebikes.

In the summer of 2010 I deiced I wanted to buy a motorcycle. After a lot of research I set my heart on 250cc bikes or less, like Ninja's and Eliminators. The price , maintenance, and portability of these machines along with several life changes have changed my mind. I do not have a garage. One never came up in my price range close enough to get me to pull the trigger.
Also, the danger of the speed. I know several people that have died in accidents, and the first body in a casket I ever saw was because of a motorcycle crash. I looked into that box at a pile of dead human biology for a long time and saw my reflection. That, and I'm a rambling mess of bad luck with too many stuntman tendencies.

So I stepped down to mopeds/scooters. I've crashed several things at 30mph, bikes, sleds, skis, wagons, myself at the rate of gravity, so these seemed more reasonable. For the past 2 years I've been pining over scooters, once again, not buying because of price/maintenance/portability/service support/life changes. I had my heart set on something like a madass125 or a people150. But they aren't exactly abundant. So I started looking into Ruckus, Zumas, and Elites, but the level of excitement wasn't there for me. 3 years later and I still have a 2 wheel lust in my heart, and no where to go with it. I'm am not very impulsive it seems.

Inspiration strikes at an estate sale 3 weeks ago. In the dark bowels of a former existence, were two bikes, a 1950's Radio Flyer, and a 1965 Schwinn Typhoon 2 speed automatic.
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/30/385633c1e59040d49cfcbb018795cf45/l.jpg (this isn't mine) Mine needs some rust removal and paint along with a bucket of WD-40 to remove the painful seat and a new front wheel.
It rides true and is solid steel. I walked it home 2 miles in the blistering cold and snow as my girlfriend drove by in her climate controlled cage, laughing mercilessness out of the steaming window :D

The woman running the estate sale asked if I was going to turn it into a motorcycle. I was puzzled by the idea of this, is that even possible I wondered? It is, and was. Conversion kits are cheap, excitement returned! I'll slap a 4 cycle engine on this baby, looks like a gas take will fit right into the top of the frame, disk brakes, lights, mirrors, waaaahoooo! I'm no mechanic, but none of this appeared to be beyond my ability.
Then "the man" put a hole in my heart, can't title these things in my state, can't get a licence without a title, and can't get insurance which means I can't ride anything I build on a public road. Devastation. I could create such a beautiful machine, a symbiotic partner for my 2 wheel adventures.

I sulked for days. As I was walking down an aisle at lowes(they pay me to do such things), I found myself gazing at the gas powered trimmers. Then the electric powered trimmers.
Hmmmmm, aaaaa, wait, yeah! Neuron fireworks so powerful they sent shivers down my spine.
Battery tech has taken off in the past decade, the phone in my pocket is basically a laptop, these trimmers are going toe to toe with similar gas trimmers. The same power that can move these out door machines is the same power that could move me on a bicycle. ELECTRICITY!!!!!!!

To the internet I scurried, delicious morsels of information awaited. Street Legal, enough :twisted:
Mad science has begun! Scattered scraps of paper with formulas and notes. Showers neglected, relationships on hold, work even more agonizing.
60 of the past 72 units of time mentally devoted to design and specification. Osmotic transfer during sleep cycles.
It can be done, expensively but within my budget for a scooter.

So here I am. This site has been a useful resource. 3 days ago I didn't know the difference between a watt and amp. Now I am soaring on enough hubris to pick parts for a bike I intend to ride.
I do have some questions. Well, firstly, given the frame choice, any design input you may suggest would be really appreciated. I am not sure if a mid hanging bag will be optimal in that frame (26 inch wheels btw) or if i should put a rack on the back. I do not know a lot about bikes. I can change a tire and (sort of) tune gears, work with brakes, but my knowledge is basic.

The starting point was the motor, a 9C 2806.
From there is still cloudy. Battery I want to go with LiMn or A123. Ping LifePo4 maybe.
My concerns with each of these is C rate, I have read that Pings have very low C, and give the amount of stress I could put on the motor with higher C :twisted: I would be more comfortable with 3-4 C battery types, so I can run 2 C with a little wiggle room. I've also read I would want to keep my power draw under 25 amps to prevent melting Hall Wires. So I don't intend to go too crazy. 48v-25ah appears to be the upper bound(given the motor), and 48-15 the lower. 3-5 years of this battery is still 5-10 times less expensive than gas, so I can justify the price.

I gather I should pair this with a controller that can run 25. If I go ping, is it possible to alter the settings to 10-15 amps to remain at the 1-1.5 C ? Infineon is the most likely choice. Or is that even necessary.

I have more questions, but I have to serve my terms at wage prison. Different Bat Time, Same Bat Channel.

You need to have brake mount tabs welded to this bike if you want to build on it.
Just saying, cause you seem to be concerned about safety :wink:

MadRhino said:
You need to have brake mount tabs welded to this bike if you want to build on it.
Good luck with the build - great candidate for a retro E-Cruiser! I have had many vintage Schwinns and they are indeed "bullet-proof" frames - built to last several lifetimes - you will pay for that however in weight - add a rear or front hub plus a battery and you likely have an 80lb+ bike. Second comment above if your Typhoon does not have front brakes. You may already have the brake mounts on the frame/fork as these same frames were used for the Tigers/Corvettes that had front and rear brakes - then just need to purchase the calipers/levers on Ebay and you are set. The existing rear drums may not provide enough stopping power at E-bike speeds in excess of 15 mph. If you decide to go the rear hub route - the existing rear hub/rim, especially if it is a "kick-back" two speed could finance part of the project - these are worth $$ to Schwinn collectors. I am guessing you could strap a 48v15ah battery in the open space in the frame - best for weight distribution - alternately strap one on a vintage Schwinn rack on the back for a more stealth retro look.
I have a 1962 three speed Schwinn Corvette (pic below) - was thinking about the retro E-Cruiser myself but the bike is too original and nice to start converting...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,041
Is a rear disc break needed at max30mph . Or could I get away with front disk and rear standard? I can't weld :). But I could find someone to help with that. As the bike is now the brake is part of the hub so with a rear DD it would have no breaks until I add them. I have other bikes to strip brake parts from

ihategeeks said:
Is a rear disc break needed at max30mph . Or could I get away with front disk and rear standard? I can't weld :). But I could find someone to help with that. As the bike is now the brake is part of the hub so with a rear DD it would have no breaks until I add them. I have other bikes to strip brake parts from
You can also set up regen braking on some kits/controllers for the rear wheel that would take care of rear braking. My Gary Fisher has front/rear v-brakes (no disks) and has hit a top speed of 32MPH - good kool-stop pads do the trick for me - have no issues braking

As for the battery - anything over 48v15ah will be too big to place in the frame and likely too heavy to put on a rack. How much range are you looking for? With a 48V1000w motor and a 48v15ah battery you can easily go 20 miles at 20-25mph -much more if you lower your speed and pedal some. A cycle analyst can control your batteries discharge for you (and hence speed) but you can also monitor yourself with a $20 Wattmeter while you are riding. Riding WOT at near 30 mph will likely toast a 15ah battery with a low C rate but short bursts and reasonable cruising at up to 25 mph (monitoring your Amps on the Wattmeter) is doable...

I also wanted to keep my Schwinns original for sentimental and vintage preservation reasons. The steel frame certainly is e-worthy, but the coaster brake would be woefully inadequate; even at a regular top speed of 20mph IMHO. Nice bike! I had one just like it 50 years ago. It was my second bicycle that I had as a kid when I out grew the first one. 8)

geeeyejo1 said:
MadRhino said:
Good luck with the build - great candidate for a retro E-Cruiser! I have had many vintage Schwinns and they are indeed "bullet-proof" frames - built to last several lifetimes - you will pay for that however in weight - add a rear or front hub plus a battery and you likely have an 80lb+ bike. Second comment above if your Typhoon does not have front brakes. You may already have the brake mounts on the frame/fork as these same frames were used for the Tigers/Corvettes that had front and rear brakes - then just need to purchase the calipers/levers on Ebay and you are set. The existing rear drums may not provide enough stopping power at E-bike speeds in excess of 15 mph. If you decide to go the rear hub route - the existing rear hub/rim, especially if it is a "kick-back" two speed could finance part of the project - these are worth $$ to Schwinn collectors. I am guessing you could strap a 48v15ah battery in the open space in the frame - best for weight distribution - alternately strap one on a vintage Schwinn rack on the back for a more stealth retro look.
I have a 1962 three speed Schwinn Corvette (pic below) - was thinking about the retro E-Cruiser myself but the bike is too original and nice to start converting...

The hub is the kick back automatic bendix , yellow striped. 2 speed, hold back to brake. There is nothing on the front or back to affix a break system to, talk about an oversight :lol: I have no interest in relying on the stock hub for brakes or going front wheel DD. Rats. The GF will be happy that I don't Frankenstein this vintage bike. I guess I'll just have it re-painted powder blue it and give it to her, she''ll be happy. >_< Looks like I'm moving on to a different bike.
Also, that is a beautiful corvette. Thanks for pointing out an issue that should have been obvious. I don't even have a place to put disc brakes let alone v-brakes, I would be asking too much of my welder to get this job right.

geeeyejo1 said:
As for the battery - anything over 48v15ah will be too big to place in the frame and likely too heavy to put on a rack. How much range are you looking for? With a 48V1000w motor and a 48v15ah battery you can easily go 20 miles at 20-25mph -much more if you lower your speed and pedal some. A cycle analyst can control your batteries discharge for you (and hence speed) but you can also monitor yourself with a $20 Wattmeter while you are riding. Riding WOT at near 30 mph will likely toast a 15ah battery with a low C rate but short bursts and reasonable cruising at up to 25 mph (monitoring your Amps on the Wattmeter) is doable...
That is why I'm not really sold on Ping. If the LiMn and A123 batterys have C rates north of 4, then I could confidentially take a bike WOT with a 20-25 amp controller if it were 10-15amps on the battery , correct? I wouldn't drawing more than 2C.
I'll have pictures of the ordinary department store bike I'll be doing this on tonight. *sigh*

ihategeeks said:
geeeyejo1 said:
That is why I'm not really sold on Ping. If the LiMn and A123 batterys have C rates north of 4, then I could confidentially take a bike WOT with a 20-25 amp controller if it were 10-15amps on the battery , correct? I wouldn't drawing more than 2C.
I'll have pictures of the ordinary department store bike I'll be doing this on tonight. *sigh*
I believe that would be the case but at WOT you would deplete the battery much quicker and have significantly less range. I have a "Ping Clone" pack from Sunthing28 - so far I like it a lot - I can cruise steady at 25mph have pulled up to 30A for bursts - all for $420 including shipping - pretty good deal for 48V15AH. If you haven't bought the motor kit yet - take a look at the Yescom kits - I picked up mine from here: http://www.thelashop.com/electric-bicycle-motor/index2.html - caught a post Thanksgiving "Cyber Monday" sale for only $230 with free shipping - still a good value at it's current price IMHO. Like the motor a lot as well.

Back