Now the Math: Ebike vs. Aveo.

My recent investment into my Ebike kit... 48v 1000 watt Whl kit + 48v batt = $750, would really make economic sense if I had a truck or a big gas guzzler car to be replaced by it.

But it's replacing a pretty miserly Chevy Aveo that get's on average 30mpg everywhere... I use $85 in gas a month.

I figure if I really use my ebike a lot, 75% of trip's.... (I live in the city everything I need is a ride away) saving maybe $55 a month... I'll be recouping the cost of the battery, $550, in just around 11 months of use, just considering gas alone. Factor in wear and tear maintinence and maybe the factor would down to 10 month's.

Considering that I''ll probably get 7 month's of riding weather out of this year, if I start next week.
So that leaves 4 month's into next year. And I'll have recouped the cost of the battery in Gas saving's. With the extra benefit of exercise. From there, it's becomes a potential money saver.
(or allows for the purchase of another battery.)

If I'm correct in assuming I might get 3 riding season's out of the battery (ie, 3 years) ('>>800' charging cycles advertised)... .. look's like this thing might be able to pay for itself in fuel saving's. As for putting any extra money back in my pocket?
I think this is where, being careful, avoiding mishaps..being miserly, and planning well, might have some residual effect's. But mostly the hobby seems to be able to be cost effective. (ie; pay for itself over time) which I'm certainly happy with. :mrgreen:

Would you guesstimate any differently?

And this is just started. Battery prices will be going down as small EV and ebikes will be more and more used in cities.
Performance should be rised at short-term time. So this have a very good evolution.

Using now an E-vehicle is like pioneering the energy sourcing change, now hard to choose because the pairing prices with no renewable energy vehicles is not achieved yet..

Batteries that are the most expensive and maybe the main element to needed to be replaced first in EVs along their use, could be the key to a smooth and faster change to cleaner transport :D

My calculations were easier as i live further away from work. I was still driving with $100 a month in fuel and $12 a day in parking (about $240 / month). What tipped me over the edge was the congestion tax for commuting to the city by car. $1300/year Because i need to work in the city and dont live close to public transport.

Actually, making your Aveo last longer, need less repairs, etc by leaving it parked would save you a hell of a lot more than you think. Some of this does get eaten up by fixed costs like tags and insurance, but figure the savings of one additional year you don't have to go get a new car, and pay that payment. Still have to pay insurance, so not counting that. Just what it will cost when you do replace the car.

If for example, you'd be looking at $200 a month if you had to buy a similar car now. That's $2,000 a year saved, in addition to the $600 or so less paid for gas. $2600 buys a hell of a nice ebike, which then could go 2-3 years before you need to spend a lot on a new battery.

Extend the life of your car 3 years, sounds like about $5000 net savings to me, after deducting the cost of the bike.

Back