Old Ebike, New Hub wont fit

Hello, thanks for your help!

I have an Ecoquip Euro 2900 ebike that I bought used on Craigslist, It has a 300w geared rear hub that I am swapping out for this hub. EDIT: Forgot to mention the original wheel is a 29", the new wheel is a 26" (shouldn't matter, but maybe it does?!)

The original hub was a tight squeeze, needing to pull the frame to get it to fit, but this hub seems to not fit well at all. Once I got the axles in the drop outs, it seems that the smallest cog on this hub is rubbing the frame. There is no way a chain will be happy on there. The hub uses a threaded freewheel. I have a chain whip and am pretty confident that the free wheel sprockets are snug but it looks like the gap between the largest sprocket and the hub itself is large. Links to pictures are below, can you help?

Hjlh0vV.jpg

tVInVie.jpg

Dups4qm.jpg

kN1V81w.jpg

96E3tMS.jpg

thetailwind said:
The original hub was a tight squeeze, needing to pull the frame to get it to fit, but this hub seems to not fit well at all. Once I got the axles in the drop outs, it seems that the smallest cog on this hub is rubbing the frame. There is no way a chain will be happy on there. The hub uses a threaded freewheel. I have a chain whip and am pretty confident that the free wheel sprockets are snug but it looks like the gap between the largest sprocket and the hub itself is large. Links to pictures are below, can you help?
I don't see any pics (you could try uploading them directly, using the Attachments tab), but generally if cogs rub on a frame, you can just add spacers on the axle to fix that.

For the tightness problem, if it's a steel frame you can simply spread the frame apart a little. Using an old rear axle and putting the nuts on the inside of the dropouts, then spinning them in the direction to spread the frame, then remove it and put your wheel in, usually works. Any threaded rod with nuts would work, if it fits in the dropouts.

If it's an aluminum frame then a little spreading is ok, but a lot could crack the frame, so be careful.

Thanks for the reply, the frame is aluminum. I'm not sure about the photos, maybe they are still processing.

As stated above, just add a spacer. Recently I needed the same "fix" on a YESCOM system with a 1985 Schwinn High Sierra bike. I was able to get enough clearance by adding a 1 mm spacer. Only problem might be repairing a flat tire in the dark.

unfortunately, your e bike frame is not standard bike width, 135 mm. But your new motor is. It needs a special d shape hole spacer washer to get the cogs to clear, or maybe a narrower freewheel. single speed might be the easier option to find.

In any case, you might have to spread that frame too far to get that thing crammed in there, and it might break.

On the other hand, if you bust it, you just have to get another bike. And,, you already need to get another bike.

I'd get that washer, since you will need one anyway with any bike. Its too tight to the gears now. Then give it a try, it will always be a PITA to cram it in, but if you can, you can ride it. just don't spread it farther than you can by hand. no pry bars to make it go to the point it cracks.

But it may never work, since you may need even more washers on the other side to get the disk to line up.

Best possible solution conforms to the bike plus one rule. Two bikes. The number of bikes you need, is the number you have, plus one.

Back