Optibike's "twist" on 2012 Pikes Peak ride

LFP, it was only $2.50 in oil, lol. I actually hope they do go to 24 miles. Curious to see the "twist" on things after that. I suspect the rules would change, probably banning certain types of ebikes, or ending with Opti hosting their own event with their own custom rules. We will see.

Itchy..can you verify....but I believe no Ebike finished behind the Optibikes last year? As far as i remember it the Optibike team finished in dead last. Bike-On...good place to put your money. Are you open to wagers?

Were there any bikes that died last year, or did all contestants make it to the top?

One important thing to remember is Pikes Peak is in Optibikes back yard and that's why they can show up with so many bikes each year. Its a half hour drive. For most everyone else it is a 20 hour drive. Not very fun to compete in a small race.

I actually don't know how many ebikes there were. It's a bit of chaos at the start line. 2 minutes to start, they said "ebikes to the front", so I really didn't have a chance to look around. It is so congested anyway, you couldn't really see what was what, for the first 10 seconds anyway, :lol: . On the way down, there were many people taking breaks, so I can't say if there were any breakdowns. It would be nice if there were records of who was in the electric category.

nicobie said:
Luke, are you up for a trip to pikes peak?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I am if someone will transport my bike there for me so I can fly in. :)

neptronix said:
By the way, not sure if you guys know this, but pike's peak is has been open for bicycling since Jan 1st 2013.
Awesome. I'd heard this from another source today as well. I wasn't sure I could get the vacation time to race in July, but I want to make this ride this year.

I wonder how cold it will be there tomorow? :p

liveforphysics said:
nicobie said:

:idea: :idea: :idea: In that case, I should fly in to your place early and ride it to the race. That would be a hellofan adventure doing it Gumball Rally style..... Catch me if you can. :twisted:

liveforphysics said:
Bike_on said:
If you form team competitions, my money is still on the Opti team.

What's your thinking on placing the bet on an Opti?

He was betting on an Opti TEAM result.
I am suspecting "team" definition may mean bikes from the same manufacturer,
.... or a "production" based specification. ? :wink:

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:
nicobie said:

:idea: :idea: :idea: In that case, I should fly in to your place early and ride it to the race. That would be a hellofan adventure doing it Gumball Rally style..... Catch me if you can. :twisted:

I would like to see you guys show up too. Would be great to see many more entrants. This could spur the organizers to create a separate category for ebikes. I'm sure a waiver in case of death would be a requirement. Hopefully they will have the timer board setup by the time ebikes finish so we can get official times (although "on your honor" has been working so far).

Back