Polymagnet - programmable printed magnets?

tightbox

1 mW
Interesting! Anyone tested these out yet? I can foresee tons of interesting new applications for this tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANBoybVApQ

I talked to these guys at a conference a couple years ago. That had a lot of different magnets to play with at their booth. I asked if they had any ideas about how these would be used with motors and they didn't give me much of an answer. At the time, they were somewhat limited on the grade of magnets that they could use ... I don't know if that has changed or not.

"ES Search found 2 matches: +polymagnet"... both in this thread. I see that Youtube vid already posted here... can only add the Polymagnets website:
http://www.polymagnet.com/

Thought their magnets for Hall effect sensor applications extra interesting.
right1-e1451871842474.jpg

They state:
Polymagnets are the world’s strongest magnets because their magnetic energy has been concentrated near the surface. Polymagnets are up to 5x stronger than conventional magnets.
(Other places they say "up to 4 times".)

So I'm wondering about the implications re magnetic flux in "conventional" designed motors. Electrons flowing through narrower copper wires where there are just more wires used?

Sign me confused.

(EDIT: Per their site "Correlated Magnetics Research (CMR) invented and is the sole manufacturer of Polymagnets®)

LockH said:
Sign me confused.

(EDIT: Per their site "Correlated Magnetics Research (CMR) invented and is the sole manufacturer of Polymagnets®)
A friend of my has beauty salon and she offers cat eye nail polish and has strangely magnetised pads/magnets for quiet complex figures.
http://www.amazon.com/Magnet-Plate-Magnetic-Polish-Choose/dp/B018YTLI36?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
They all come from china for a while, is it something similar? :|
P.S. the black white pattern is just a sticker on top of the rectangular magnet, to distinguish them.

Comment via email from Capital J (Lord Justin) regarding this thread:
Subject: Re: Polymagnet - programmable printed magnets?

Yeah we met them at a tradeshow booth here in Vancouver I think in 2014, the DEX expo IIRC. They had many neat implementation examples of some cool magnetic trickery, but for hub motors this isn't going to be nearly strong enough if that's what you were thinking. You really want solid slabs of rare earth magnets for that. For a tiny micro motor where you don't really care about efficiency and power density, then sure it would work fine.

-Justin

... with a post script "It's probably be another couple weeks before I have a chance myself to log in to ES and contribute directly, just slammed with work associated with the move and setting up shop."

:)
L

Interesting, and I see my question is already answered.

I had assumed a similar thickness single sided magnet would have similar or greater power up close vs a traditional 2 sided one.

I guess I don't understand the difference(s) of their manufacture process (and use?) vs standard motor magnets, but the idea of concentrated magnetism (single sided) was very interesting.

I was also under the impression they weren't actually printed such as with dmls or extrusion, but perhaps I'm wrong.

edit// thinking more about it, perhaps the similar and/or increased magnetic force with polymagnets are only possible when it's magnet to magnet. I would think having north and south on the same side might be why they aren't as strong in other conditions???

Back