problem with anderson connectors? can't get them to click!

lol i haven't have to go that far yet (reuse). the crimp is pretty hard and that seems like it would be tough but good luck.

i am using mostly 45a powerpoles but have some 30 amp ones for high gauge wires.

amberwolf said:
BTW, if you want to *really* learn about crimping problems, try recycling your contacts like I have had to do; prying the old wire out, re-forming the barrel into a mostly-tube, then inserting new wire and crimping again.

To recycle Andersons, i leave the original wire and crimp, cut the wire an inch or 2 from the housing, and solder wire to wire on the new recipient.. :wink:

The retention pin is generally not needed. once slotted together they tend to stick fine. Some glue can be used to weld em permanent if you like that. The pin holds the two housings side by side, and has nothing to do with keeping it plugged into the opposing plug. I think the roll pins are dumb, and redundant.

Numerous methods work to keep the housings plugged into each other. Mostly I just use a wrap of tape for a critical one.

The only real drawbacks of andersons I've found, is the odd one that lets the contact back out of the housing. This problem is sometimes hard to spot, and as said before, when you get to the point of having 40-50 of em on a racing bike it can be a pita to find the bad one. The other is simply cost. Bullets for 50 amps are still cheap, while andersons get quite pricy in the sizes above 45 amps.

Ypedal said:
To recycle Andersons, i leave the original wire and crimp, cut the wire an inch or 2 from the housing, and solder wire to wire on the new recipient.. :wink:
When the wire breaks off at the end of the barrel, that's not really much of an option. :p Or if you need a different wire size or something, or are trying to eliminate splices from the wiring that you've already done during experiments, leading to potentailly risky splices all over. :roll: (no, never happens...ever...really....)

I believe my crimper was faulty. That crimper actually ended up breaking on me. I was squeezing pretty hard on a 45 amp connector when something inside broke. I bought a new one on powerwerx and sent this one back. The new one crimps better and I am able to get the wire into the housing with a nice click...every time.

RVD said:
I believe my crimper was faulty. That crimper actually ended up breaking on me. I was squeezing pretty hard on a 45 amp connector when something inside broke. I bought a new one on powerwerx and sent this one back. The new one crimps better and I am able to get the wire into the housing with a nice click...every time.

Interesting. Not something that happens very often. Glad it is working for you now.

once the tricrimp broke, it was unusable. one of the metal hinges broke off or something so when you squeeze the die cast part would never actually crimp down. i did come up with that workaround though last week so it was usable but those first few crimps were a pain. it's all good now though although i am sort of afraid that i might break it again if i squeeze too hard.

anyone have any tips for making Y connectors (splitters)?

I read that dogman just cuts off enough wires in both wires until they fit (e.g. take 2 14 gauge wires and cut the strands until they both fit into a 45 amp anderson).

another thought would be to cut open the wire a little bit and solder in the 2nd wire into the first one so that you're still just crimping one anderson to one wire.

i haven't seen any places sell these online. the only things i see are the 4 way splitters (like the red dee things that powerwerx sells) but that's overkill.

If you are desperate, the gentle taper of needle nose pliers can be used to open up the barrel to get the wire in. Then, if the wire isn't way too big, the barrel can be reclosed with pliers.

RVD said:
once the tricrimp broke, it was unusable. one of the metal hinges broke off or something so when you squeeze the die cast part would never actually crimp down. i did come up with that workaround though last week so it was usable but those first few crimps were a pain. it's all good now though although i am sort of afraid that i might break it again if i squeeze too hard.

anyone have any tips for making Y connectors (splitters)?

I read that dogman just cuts off enough wires in both wires until they fit (e.g. take 2 14 gauge wires and cut the strands until they both fit into a 45 amp anderson).

another thought would be to cut open the wire a little bit and solder in the 2nd wire into the first one so that you're still just crimping one anderson to one wire.

i haven't seen any places sell these online. the only things i see are the 4 way splitters (like the red dee things that powerwerx sells) but that's overkill.

A pair of 14's is 11 gauge and should fit into a 45 amp pin. The really fine wires are difficult to work with, less fine stranded wires are easier. The insulation turns out to be a bigger problem so use the #14 that has thin insulation and moderate stranding.

Someone, perhaps http://www.dcpwr.com used to have some nice 2:1 Y cables that were made this way. Not sure if they still have them. I don't see them on their website.

I think the slightly more expensive West Mountain Radio crimper may be better made than the Tri-Crimp.

I've used the WMR crimper for over 100 crimps. Sometimes I squeeze past the click. No problems with the crimper itself. I have, however, had trouble with the dies releasing. Keeping them clean is the answer. I've rubbed them with a #2 pencil after I had them clean. I have no evidence that it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.

Back