Project: Home made velomobile design with crank or mid motor

All brake and gear cables, but I found some in a semi local bike shop with a very grumpy man today. It rolls like it's floating on a cushion of air. I will replace the steering shaft and bearings, and then start installing cables.

I rode a few hundred meters tonight after connecting the gear cable and front brakes. The front brake need a new adapter because the lever doesn't have enough cable pull to operate the calipers fully, so it doesn't brake well. I'll make that tomorrow.

The steering works great. The suspension works great, but the front damping is still too slow so I still want to replace them with plush oil shocks unless they loosen up over time.

The motor isn't too noisy either, but makes a nice low jet whine. I get a lot of rumble and bangs and knocks on the uneven gravel trail I rode, but that's to be expected.

The front windshield would fog up quickly when I rode unassisted, but not with motor assist. I will have to install the front intake fan soon if I want to ride it for long. I haven't decided where to make the exhaust yet, but I'm thinking of making two round tubes in the rear end, with orange LEDs around them to work as both exhaust air and indicator lights. No rush.

I think the "dirt" on the side is just a plant in the foreground. :) I do have plans to make carbon fiber fairings around the front wheels. It's not as important as completing the electronics and mechanics inside it.

The cheap brakes are really bad, I can barely stop in a shallow downhill, so I ordered some BB7 road (because I have road levers) calipers to replace them. Maybe some new pads would have helped.

I also want to double up the steering pulley system, so that I have redundancy, before I take it out on the roads. The steering system works great. It's light and precise.

Absolutely stunning work, I love it!

Nothing is finished, hence the mess. I'm currently working on the wiring for the lights.

I will simply add a second pulley next to the old one and run a second set of cables down. It's already prepared to accept the new cables.

Can anyone here tell me if a solid state relay will be able to switch on the battery connection without failing and without a precharge resistor circuit? It would be wonderful if it was that simple. SS-relays are cheap now. I'd like to use a 50 A SSR to switch everything on. I can't find any internal resistance specs on them though, so I don't know what the losses will be. I guess I can just wire one up and measure the voltage across the terminals.

I modified the Bafang thumb throttle today. It's quite comfortable to operate with the thumb. The steering shaft is pretty stuffed with cables now. The shifter arrangement is temporary. I want to make some sort of paddle setup, but what I would really like is DI2. I could shift with two buttons.

Absolutely brilliant, and on the video it looks like it handles a swerve or two without issue! This is one of the more exciting builds I've seen on ES for a long while!

Have you considered an aparmentbreaker? The 63A models seems to be the goto device in the adaptto community.
I use one on my cargobike and I like it.

Copypasted from the stealth bomber thread:
Allex wrote:
If you want a simple and reliable solution(Adapttos recommendation) just install a regular apartment breaker, I use C63A, it angages at about 135 DC Amps for me and you can use whatever battery voltage.
And you can say goodbye to all prechargers, no need them anymore!
http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329/49a ... 9AAC100489

I found solar DC breakers to be cheaper, DCV and higher ratings than anything sold in any local hardware store around my area.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I use: http://midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=197&productCatName=Breakers&productCat_ID=16&sortOrder=13&act=p

I made a new chainring. 40 t. Should let me pedal comfortably at 40 km/h while reducing the load in first gear.

My DC breaker is here, but I haven't bothered installing it yet.

WOW! That pic looking down on the top looks amazing!
If I saw that out of the blue I would have assumed it was photoshopped up for a fake velomobile company trolling for investment!
And the rear LED panel is pretty spiffy! Is it going to display scrolling messages, like "Pass me or back off, A-hole?"
I've always wanted that. Prelude to the smoke screen and rocket launcher.

How does it work for you day-to-day so far? Do you have a place for it indoors, or a pre-heater?

I haven't really "used" it until now. All I've done with it is test riding short distances. It ran fine today, but I'm worried I'm going to get a flat rear tire because I have no way of propping it up to remove the rear wheel yet. I want to make a light, flat packed plywood stand.

There is still a lot to do before I consider it finished. The motor is strong. It pulls me up hills faster than I expected. I will journey to my "test hill" later on and compare with my BBS01 250 W e-bike.

I hear you. Once my trailing arm loosened up and the rear wheel jammed many miles from home. I had to fiddle around trying to feel the nut lying underneath my velomobile on the side of a very narrow road with cars whipping past.

Since then I added a stand to hold up the back end and a parking lock on the front wheels. The stand is just two bamboo poles which drop down through holes and I put slip pins through to hold them. The poles are braced against the back of my bench seat. It lifts the rear end about a meter. Maybe it would work for you braced against your trunk bulkhead.

That thing looks better and better with every pic you post up. ;)

How many people have asked you where you bought it, so far? :lol:

(even as junky as my trike looks, I still have people ask me where I bought it--I can't imagine you could go anywhere without people asking you about that!)

1JohnFoster said:
Since then I added a stand to hold up the back end and a parking lock on the front wheels. The stand is just two bamboo poles which drop down through holes and I put slip pins through to hold them. The poles are braced against the back of my bench seat. It lifts the rear end about a meter. Maybe it would work for you braced against your trunk bulkhead.

Alternately, somethign like what Li-ghtcycle built for his, using parts off a "walker". He used the legs with their pushbutton height-setting holes as a way to make a stand to work on the bike on roadside, attached to his cargo pod.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35657

I've intended to do this for Crazybike2 for years but keep forgetting when I have time (then dont' have time when I remember, or other interfering issues; happens to a lot of projects).

Now that I have the trike, I also want to do it to the rear end on that one. At present I use cat litter buckets at home to set it up on, or I just tip the whole thing on it's side, but having an actual "jackstand" would be a lot better. :)

Back