Real fire from my sabvoton 72150 X_x

Coma11

1 mW
Hello everyone. found this forum on the net just after my sabvoton sparked itself and my rear trunk went on fire.
it all started in a nice drive to the vendor shop because of a loosen wire I wanted to fix. accidently it was torn and I was lucky enough to touch it and link it to a minus on another plug (2 small ones positive and negative) there was a spark X_x big one and the sabvoton turned off.
the nice vendor really wanted to help so he disconnected the positive battery wire from the sabvoton and made some checks. after some time he said he thinks he solved the problem and tried to connect the sabvoton to battery positive. there was a huge spark and the positive wire flew with its plate from the sabvoton. that made a hole in my trunk ,lots of somke and... bbq fire party in my trunk X_x unbelivable! we disattached the battery and turned off the fire.seems none of the other wires were infected by the fire.
I got a new sabvoton now but It was such a big trauma to see the sabvoton in fire X_X I am too afraid to connect it.
If anyone can tell me what to check and how to connect the basic wires to sabvoton without burning it. I just dont know if it was becasue of the short I made in wires before he disconnected and connected back the wires to the sabvoton or maybe there is a special way to connect sabvoton so it wont burn in istallation. how do I do that? maybe connect all wires and then push my battery in? IMPORTANT: My battery has no switch and always on.
Hopefully you guys can help me to check it out before I burn the second one.

all wires externally seems o.k I also looked at the motor wires and they seemed to be clean.
what are the odds its was just shorted and when I linked it again it was toasted. or maybe this is no the way to reconnect sabvoton...dont know.

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_204245.jpg
    IMG_20231209_204245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231209_204255.jpg
    IMG_20231209_204255.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231209_204307.jpg
    IMG_20231209_204307.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
Hello everyone. found this forum on the net just after my sabvoton sparked itself and my rear trunk went on fire.
it all started in a nice drive to the vendor shop because of a loosen wire I wanted to fix. accidently it was torn and I was lucky enough to touch it and link it to a minus on another plug (2 small ones positive and negative) there was a spark X_x big one and the sabvoton turned off.
the nice vendor really wanted to help so he disconnected the positive battery wire from the sabvoton and made some checks. after some time he said he thinks he solved the problem and tried to connect the sabvoton to battery positive. there was a huge spark and the positive wire flew with its plate from the sabvoton. that made a hole in my trunk ,lots of somke and... bbq fire party in my trunk X_x unbelivable! we disattached the battery and turned off the fire.seems none of the other wires were infected by the fire.
I got a new sabvoton now but It was such a big trauma to see the sabvoton in fire X_X I am too afraid to connect it.
If anyone can tell me what to check and how to connect the basic wires to sabvoton without burning it. I just dont know if it was becasue of the short I made in wires before he disconnected and connected back the wires to the sabvoton or maybe there is a special way to connect sabvoton so it wont burn in istallation. how do I do that? maybe connect all wires and then push my battery in? IMPORTANT: My battery has no switch and always on.
Hopefully you guys can help me to check it out before I burn the second one.

all wires externally seems o.k I also looked at the motor wires and they seemed to be clean.
what are the odds its was just shorted and when I linked it again it was toasted. or maybe this is no the way to reconnect sabvoton...dont know.
Got 50A fuse installed. the fuse did not burn. about instructions. although I did find instructions for programing and wiring I did not find any instructions about the first connection.

Always use a good quality proper rated fuse & switch. I would start from lowest rating fuse feasible (better start w/ below lower rating to verify that fuse does blow) & go up to minimal rating required for a working system.

Even when battery comes with a switch, sometimes they are not suitable for turning off at load/short.

Yesterday, my Fluke multimeter fuse did a sacrifice to save the remaining setup, oh 10 cheap multimeters could be bought with the price of that fuse

Is this where spark problem happened? See cropped pictures. Looks like metal plate is missing. Where did it go? You might be able to repair controller?
View attachment 344086

View attachment 344087
It seems that the plate exploded when the worker tried to attach the positive wire from the battery to the controller. the battery was attached to the body so there was a huge spark that exploded my trunk X_x I assume that if the battery was out there was no spark at all but I am still thinking maybe the shortage I made before he tried to run his checks (smaller spark from small positive and negative wires of controller touched and made the green light totally turn off) made an inner shortage so the seller in shop wasnt to blame. he just finished the job I started. what is the best way to connect sabvoton withought exploding it? can I just wire all cables and then push the battery in? I assume it wont make any sparks no?

Last edited:
My thought was an accidental reverse polarity connecting battery to controller
Thanks for everything.I really appriciate your help. the bike went smooth all the way to the shop. the polarity seemed to be o.k because the worker in the shop only took off the positive wire of the battery from the controller. I am trying to see if there is a link between the first spark that I made accidently ( I think it was the positive of the display controller side and some other negative wire. maybe connected to the switch and then there was a spark and the controller light turned off) to the second spark that was made after the seller just measured the voltage and checking the battery fuse and the battery output. the dc-dc you see is for headlight and horn. I was told the sabvoton is sensitive so we made a system connected directly to the battery. I just plugged the battery back in and the horn and light are working. I checked the harness form the bike to sabvoton and all seemed to be o.k. I assumed the first spark burned the 12V bridge or connectors inside the sabvoton. but about the second spark and smoke...no Idea.
what is the right way to connect the sabvoton? maybe the mistake was in connection. I assume that it is too fragile to connect it with live positive wire but I did not expect it will go on fire X_x do you know sabvoton good enough to tell how to connect the engine and battery to controller? maybe I need to "load" it easy in steps or just connecting it all and then push the battery in will be enough? I actually did it while it was working dozens of times. In Israel we really dont have so many shops that work with sabvotons. I actually called 10 shops in my city and only 2 were willing to accept me only for installation but not programming and I know they also dont work with sabvotons so I am a bit afraid after what happened.
on the first time I installed it by a rookie that did not install the connectors so well so I had a few cuts in wires like this one. the were not so strong. so I wanted to go to another shop for a try out.
Anyway now I have a new sabvoton. but I am just too afraid to wire the battery and engine to it and push the battery in. I dont even know if this is the right way to do it and if it will burn again...I think I might loose my mind X_x

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_204245.jpg
    IMG_20231209_204245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231209_204307.jpg
    IMG_20231209_204307.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231211_184725.jpg
    IMG_20231211_184725.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231211_184738.jpg
    IMG_20231211_184738.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231211_184814.jpg
    IMG_20231211_184814.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231211_184822.jpg
    IMG_20231211_184822.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231211_184845.jpg
    IMG_20231211_184845.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Might be time to find a different worker? No idea what could cause "huge spark"? Remove all wires. Remove fuse. Draw a picture of controller and battery connections. Post the picture here. There are lots of smart electric bicycle mechanics here. Is this a electric bicycle?
Yes this is an ebike. 3000w engine battery 60V 30Ah and sabvoton 72150. you can see the pics in my profile
The wires are all o.k. the spark was from the contoller positive that made the cable fly with the plate in fire making my trunk melt and go on fire.there also smoke from the controller. about the fuse I have a fuse in the battery not the controller.you say I need a fuse for the controller? I also posted extra pictures. hope this will help you to save me the next 300$ that can go in the air in 2 seconds =) I attach also picture of the controller connections but I dont think there is a problem with it.I actually came to the shop riding the bike and all was working fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20231211_191919.jpg
    IMG_20231211_191919.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231211_192017.jpg
    IMG_20231211_192017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231211_192041.jpg
    IMG_20231211_192041.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231211_192104.jpg
    IMG_20231211_192104.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If I am understating correctly?
  • Loose wire
  • Spark during surgery to repair.
  • Buy new controller.
To put it all back together correctly.
  • Draw a picture of controller and battery connections. Post the picture here. This will give you a good understanding of which wire goes where.
  • Remove fuse.
  • Test battery + and - to be sure wires are what you think they are. Test with voltmeter. With a DC battery usually RED is + and BLACK is - . If they are reversed? You will see negative reading on the voltmeter.
  • Have drawing checked by a second person to be sure ya hooking it up right.
  • Connect all wires. Be careful to not to let live wires touch. Don't work when tired, stupid, or drunk.
  • Reconnect fuse.
  • If it smokes? You got a problem.
Story told to me by 100 year old man. I am guessing he was about 20 at the time? So about 80 years ago. Big battery in a submarine. Someone accidentally dropped a wrench on the battery terminals. Wrench disappeared. That must have been a scary spark. Think Amps, lots of Amps.

If I am understating correctly?
  • Loose wire
  • Spark during surgery to repair.
  • Buy new controller.
To put it all back together correctly.
  • Draw a picture of controller and battery connections. Post the picture here. This will give you a good understanding of which wire goes where.
  • Remove fuse.
  • Test battery + and - to be sure wires are what you think they are. Test with voltmeter. With a DC battery usually RED is + and BLACK is - . If they are reversed? You will see negative reading on the voltmeter.
  • Have drawing checked by a second person to be sure ya hooking it up right.
  • Connect all wires. Be careful to not to let live wires touch. Don't work when tired, stupid, or drunk.
  • Reconnect fuse.
  • If it smokes? You got a problem.
Story told to me by 100 year old man. I am guessing he was about 20 at the time? So about 80 years ago. Big battery in a submarine. Someone accidentally dropped a wrench on the battery terminals. Wrench disappeared. That must have been a scary spark. Think Amps, lots of Amps.
can you please tell me what fuse you mean? I have 1 fuse inside the battery (50A) that is connected to battery output. I dont have any other fuse. you mean I should have a fuse bridge from battery to controller?
about "if it smokes" is there a safer way than loosing another 300$ controller? X_x

can you please tell me what fuse you mean? I have 1 fuse inside the battery (50A) that is connected to battery output. I dont have any other fuse. you mean I should have a fuse bridge from battery to controller?
about "if it smokes" is there a safer way than loosing another 300$ controller? X_x
Please draw a picture of every wire and where it goes. Think you will see fuse is between battery and controller.

a big spark is normal,its the caps in the controler charging up.
In the world of auto repair. First step of most every project is to remove negative battery terminal. Last step is to reconnect negative battery terminal.

To avoid big spark? What would you recomend last step be for a electric bicycle? Reconnect fuse? Does controller have a switch so it is not on all the time?

Lets try reading the instructions. What controller is this?
See no user manual. See no instructions. I like pictures.
Hc7146d5a047841238b09cde3c05b4eeeD-3d25.jpg

Back