Rear U brakes on a MTB?

I had a quick look on Google images and there do seem to be bikes with U brake mountings down there.

I have seen some continental bikes that have pedal back brakes, I rode one once and immediately crashed into a fence! Cant recall what mountings they had, I can remember the howls of laughter from my friends. :oops:

Just get a real motor, one with a disc mount on the cover.

dogman dan said:
Just get a real motor, one with a disc mount on the cover.

Might be the easiest solution, then find a frame mount for the calliper.

If the motor is a direct drive unit you could rig up some regen braking.

Something like this might work to allow you to fit V-brakes but not sure how strong they would be.

These are clearly to fit front brakes but the principal is there.

Attachments

• pace%20rc31%20kit%2006.jpg
    pace%20rc31%20kit%2006.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,473
RustyKipper said:
Something like this might work to allow you to fit V-brakes but not sure how strong they would be.

These are clearly to fit front brakes but the principal is there.

Looks like a possibility...do u know the name of those?

Identiti Rebate Rim Brake Adaptor.

The front fork version is easy to get hold of but can't seem to find one for the rear.

You need to insure that they'll fit the seat tube; years ago some full suspension bikes like Intense had them; Chalo might remember.

A recent post in the Electric Worksman Trike thread used another version of those; they used some tubes inside them to enable clamping onto the smaller diameter seatstays.

Personally I'd also use a brake booster arch with them, to stiffen them up, and ensure that even if a clamp were to somehow loosen they still couldn't rotate around the tube and would still allow braking.

2old said:
You need to insure that they'll fit the seat tube; years ago some full suspension bikes like Intense had them; Chalo might remember.

I remember various such things going back to Moots Mounts in the mid '80s. I think the idea for those was being able to use cantilever brakes with different sized wheels and various width rims on the same frame.
561417d1281409796-moots-mounts-img_2586.jpg

There is a current item by another manufacturer called Evolution.

In the "For what it is worth (maybe nothing)" department: I was pondering the problem of adding studs for V-brakes. So I attempted to draw a plate to be used to hold the bosses. See the following thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82702

file.php

No point in reinventing the [strike]wheel[/strike] adapter plate if someone already has them at a reasonable price.
"... to be used with 20x1.5" and 20x1.75" rims only ..."
I should not think the diameter of the wheel makes much difference ... only the rim cross section.

V-Brake https://www.danscomp.com/products/489051/V-Brake_Plate.html
U-Brake (aka 990) https://www.danscomp.com/products/489057/990_Brake_Plate.html

You can get that adapter for free if you have an old junk suspension fork laying around:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82702&p=1213850&hilit=brake+clamp+fork+CrazyBike2#p1213850

file.php

Works just fine, even on Crazybike2 stopping it's over-200lb-mass plus my own 170-180lb mass plus whatever I'm carrying for cargo in the trailer and the pods. ;)

CB2's is on the front fork but the same thing can be done to add rear brakes (is what I'd planned to do to add them to the SB Cruiser before I put fat moped tires on that won't fit inside the arch :oops: ; I can still do it but now I have to cut the arch part).

file.php

U-brakes were designed to work where cantilvers brakes would not. They do not stick out from the frame so you don't catch your heel on them. They were also mounded right behind the crank on many bikes as this gave a cleaner look to the bike.

If the mechanic knows how to adjust them they can work as well as most V-brakes. They are significantly heavier than V-brakes. The Pivot on a V-brake is below the rim while the pivot on a U brake is above the rim.

They are still used on some BMX bikes because they tuck nicely out of the way without being outside the frame.

Back