Repurposing J1772

john61ct

1 TW
I have many uses for the energy stored in my mobile battery banks, not just propulsion.

I want to be able to design a pretty-universal charging setup for use in the US,

that will allow me to also charge from pay-per-use or subscription public charge stations where allowed, let's set aside the legal / ethical dimension for purposes of this thread, focus on the HowTo practicalities.

Obviously in order to implement this idea, I will need my own J1772 "charger", so suggestions on a more flexible "open software / hardware" unit that doesn't cost the world would be appreciated.

But in thinking about this, I realize I don't fully understand what such a device really does.

The signaling apparently is just to notify what voltage and max current is available, the EV side just controls stop / start?

The EVSE seems to just pass through the AC current at the source voltage,

nominal 115Vac means level 1, 230Vac means level 2.

Is that right, no actual conversion takes place, that's all handled by the **actual** charger (AC to DC rectifier) onboard the EV?

I take it the faster DC-direct standards are not yet rolled out enough in the US to justify reverse engineering.

Links to "open software / hardware" projects for spoofing the EV signalling would also be appreciated.

TIA

john61ct said:
Is that right, no actual conversion takes place, that's all handled by the **actual** charger (AC to DC rectifier) onboard the EV?
Correct. It's just a GFI breaker/relay.
I take it the faster DC-direct standards are not yet rolled out enough in the US to justify reverse engineering.
Both DCFC and Chademo are mature and are rolled out in many places.

Back