• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Robotics Project: Snuggles, The Wolf

The original reason for starting the break was someone pointing out my inability to see that my behavior was wrong (being autistic on top of eternally exhausted doesn't make this easy) so I decided to walk away until I could figure out what I did wrong, and how to avoid it in the future, since it's not the first time I've offended and had no idea what I did wrong. I still have no idea how to do that, but after a few days I also realized I had other reasons to keep myself away (see the section below), and then shortly after that I was handed another mess by fate (see the section after the one below):
I truly mean it when I say that I seriously doubt your behavior could ever be so wrong that it went beyond "just rude and/or insensitive." You don't give yourself nearly enough credit, my friend. I just can't imagine you being so at fault that you have reason to beat yourself up over it. Personally, my method of dealing with people is literally this: "frock 'em, they're irrationally sensitive and I'm not going to let them grind me down any more than they already have." We have just as much right to be ourselves as they have to be offended by that. I know that's probably of no help to you, but it usually gets me through the day. Sure, there are times when I can't just will myself out of dwelling or feeling ashamed, but usually it works pretty well for me. Try it sometime, it might work for you. Besides, do you really want to be friends with people who blame you instead of considering that they might also be at fault? C'mon, people like that are worse than useless.

Find some people from foreign countries to be friends with. They're few and far between, but in my experience, they're much less critical of social customs.

As for the rest of your post... I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry that life can be so difficult sometimes. I wish I had more than superficial words to offer you, but I really do wish you only the best in life. You improved mine just by being around here. Please don't forget that.

Some pics of the "new" face of the current prototype, then replies to the above. I changed my avatar to the happy-face straight-on close-up.

20240610_105419.jpg 20240610_105326.jpg 20240610_105436.jpg 20240610_105226.jpg 20240610_105359.jpg 20240610_105447.jpg

You are a genuine sight for sore eyes bro.... just tickled pink to see your text🥲

I think I understand a 'dogs' needs... I've owned one since I don't remember when. My current 'Lady' needs dental cleaning... sadly, I now live about 100 mi round trip to the closest vet... and not only is she's not accepting new patients... I'm also being quoted $500 to $900. What to do.

Well, at least dental cleaning is something you might be able to do yourself, a bit at a time, if you have the time and patience for it, unless Lady is one of those that will eat you rather than let you help her, and has to be sedated to do the cleanings.

Maybe next time try a smaller dog?
I don't pick them; I end up with the ones that need me. Since i'm "partnered" with the local Saint Bernard rescue, it's unlikely they'd be smaller than say, Tiny, who was about a hundred pounds.
20130723_192740.jpg

I'm not sure what a smaller dog would change in any of the stuff I posted about though? (other than potentially bloat, so not needing the tummytack, whcih is something that happens more to deep-chested dogs than others, but can happen to any dog of any size).

Hang in there AW. 👍🏻
I try to.

Hi Amberwolf! Be well!
Thanks.

I see that you are very fond of "The Wolf" project and all the things going on meanwhile really pushes you to your limit it seems.

Be well and don't forget to ask for help

I did, but there's not much help anyone can give me on it (though from various places around the web and locally that I've asked, I get suggestions to not bother trying to do what I need it to do, but maybe just make it bark, or other similar "simple" things, which is not useful, or to just use one of the existing "robot dog" things that are absolutely NOTHING like this project and cannot do what it must do).

I truly mean it when I say that I seriously doubt your behavior could ever be so wrong that it went beyond "just rude and/or insensitive." You don't give yourself nearly enough credit, my friend. I just can't imagine you being so at fault that you have reason to beat yourself up over it. Personally, my method of dealing with people is literally this: "frock 'em, they're irrationally sensitive and I'm not going to let them grind me down any more than they already have." We have just as much right to be ourselves as they have to be offended by that.

The problem is that if everyone just acts they way they act, and no one steps back when behavior problems are pointed out and tries to fix them, the world just sucks and gets suckier all the time. So I want to at least fix myself as much as possible, since I know that very very few others are ever going to do that.

I know that's probably of no help to you, but it usually gets me through the day. Sure, there are times when I can't just will myself out of dwelling or feeling ashamed, but usually it works pretty well for me. Try it sometime, it might work for you.
I do just be myself, since I can't be anyone else, but when that's a problem for enough people then I have to try to figure out how to fix it. Since they don't tell me exactly what I did wrong so I can fix it (they never understand that I can't know unless they tell me, since normal people don't have that problem), I have to figure it out myself (which is usually impossible) then try different things until it's fixed. It always bothers me when I cause other people problems, and I can't get away from it; it's always in my nightmares and my thoughts all the time unless I'm concentrating on some specific problem (which I can't do for long in isolation since in my brain everything is related to everything else, and at some point all that stuff comes back into the process too).

Besides, do you really want to be friends with people who blame you instead of considering that they might also be at fault? C'mon, people like that are worse than useless.
No, I don't try to be friends with anyone like that; it would be pointless. But few normal people even accept that people like me exist, they just think I'm normal but an asshole or whatever because I don't understand them and can't "read" them like other normal people do, and am not interested in the same boring things that most people are and can't stand spending so much time on all that when there are more important things to do and say. (though almost none of the things that are important to me are important to almost anyone else).

Find some people from foreign countries to be friends with. They're few and far between, but in my experience, they're much less critical of social customs.
Um, this place is full of "people from foreign countries", and there's no detectable (by me) difference in how they accept or reject me vs anyone from this country (same in all the other places I've been).

But mostly my problems are not with people I'm friends with, it just with people that come here for help that don't know me or anyone else here. Usually I just hit the "ignore" button when they act in ways I don't like, but when they point out that I'm acting improperly, they're probably right--I can't tell most of the time so I have to trust what they say if I don't just know that they're wrong and it's just them.

As for the rest of your post... I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry that life can be so difficult sometimes. I wish I had more than superficial words to offer you, but I really do wish you only the best in life. You improved mine just by being around here. Please don't forget that.
I'm glad I helped.

Life is life; it is what it is. That's why this project is important to me so I can have something to help me with that (since other people don't usually help, just make things worse usually, and not all dogs I end up with can/will help either). I also know that it would help other people in such situations, if I can ever get far enough along with it.

Ok. I don't yet know how to do this stuff, or which things are good for what. So whatever alternatives you (or anyone else) can think of for processing this data, I'm up for trying out. :)
Maybe a Rockchip 3588 based SBC would work. in addition to an 8 core 64bit processor it has a 6tops NPU. being arm based it doesn't use as much power as computers of the 90's.
Later floyd

like this?

not sure it would help more than the assorted computers i already have, though; i still don't know how to write software that would run on it. i'm more or less still just at the (not useful) stage where i can directly take the 3-axis sensor readouts and feed them to the servo controllers in realtime to make the servos move when the axis tilts. that is, when i can get the compiler to even run instead of crashing out on dependency failures, even though the stuff is all there where it should be (the ide is just too poorly written to look for it in the places it's already been told it's at, and there is no way for me to fix that).

in otther news, jellybeantheperfectlynormalschmoo is doing "fine" so far, but the vets don't know what causes the siezures, and it could cost many thousands of dollars (that i'll never have) to go to all the other different vets and run all the expensive tests they want like cat scans and mris and stuff, which will probably not show anything anyway, so she's just going to have to stay on the keppra anticonvulsive meds; at least that is relatively cheap, if not as cheap as the phenobarbitol that tiny was on for hers.

cat scans
Lady was driving her car. She had a accident and drove over a squirrel. She picked up the squirrel and was not sure what to do. Across the street was a veterinarian. She took the squirrel the the vet. Veterinarian looked at the squirrel and said "The squirrels dead and that will be $50 for the examination." Lady said "How do you know the squirrels dead? Aren't you going to do any tests?". Veterinarian said OK and he took the squirrel into a room and put it on a examination table. A Labrador Retriever dog walked in. The Lab Dog sniffed the squirrel, barked and walked out of the room. Then a cat dog walked in the room. The cat sniffed the squirrel, meowed and walked out of the room.

Veterinarian said "Your squirrels dead and and now you owe me $450." Lady said $450? Why? Dog? Cat? I don't understand?" Vet said "$200 for the lab work, $200 for the cat scan, and $50 for the examination, and now you owe me $450.

Lady was driving her car. She had a accident and drove over a squirrel. She picked up the squirrel and was not sure what to do. Across the street was a veterinarian. She took the squirrel the the vet. Veterinarian looked at the squirrel and said "The squirrels dead and that will be $50 for the examination." Lady said "How do you know the squirrels dead? Aren't you going to do any tests?". Veterinarian said OK and he took the squirrel into a room and put it on a examination table. A Labrador Retriever dog walked in. The Lab Dog sniffed the squirrel, barked and walked out of the room. Then a cat dog walked in the room. The cat sniffed the squirrel, meowed and walked out of the room.

Veterinarian said "Your squirrels dead and and now you owe me $450." Lady said $450? Why? Dog? Cat? I don't understand?" Vet said "$200 for the lab work, $200 for the cat scan, and $50 for the examination, and now you owe me $450.
The fact that this lovely, deserving man's creation would have applications far exceeding the monetary value of anything I currently have available is irrelevant. I'm still saddened that nobody seems to take him at his word when he simply says, "I need this."

Back