Rode the Trek 7500 Ebike to work today (12 miles)

Little-Acorn

100 W
Whizzed all the way here nicely, except for the rear rack pack falling off due to my clumsiness at bungeeing it on. 48V, 1000W rear hubmotor, 20Ah two-piece LiFePO4 battery, top speed 30mph on level ground. Registered with Calif DMV, and even has its own cute little moped plate!

At one point, came up a long medium-slope hill and stopped at the stoplight at the top (Clairemont Mesa Dr. and Ruffin southbound in Sandy Eggo). After a moment, a fellow on a road bike pulled up next to me, and commented that I seemed to be going up the hill a lot more easily than he had. I smiled, said "Well, I cheated", and told him a little about the ebike. Light changed, he zoomed ahead, I accelerated more slowly, being in high gear and not wanting to lug it at low speeds. Passed him after about 300 yards, after noting he was going around 22-23mph - pretty good for an unpowered road bike. I can't do that, being an old fat guy. Cruised at about 25-28mph, and turn around to find him drafting me. Very cool! I tried to ask when he had last drafted a fat guy on an upright ballooner, but I think the wind carried my voice away. I'll bet he got a better draft off me than off any other rider. He eventually turned at a corner where I went straight.

Used about 9Ah in the trip (12 miles) according to the WattsUp meter, going mostly around 25mph. Some moderate hills, otherwise pretty flat. The bike is charging outside now.

This is the second time I've commuted on the ebike. First time, I got up to around 35mph on a long, fairly steep downhill section (Black Mtn Rd. southbound from Hwy 56), and then found out the hard way about a major pothole at the bottom, in the bike lane. Went the rest of the way to work, put the bike on charge, and when I came out at the end of the day, found the rear tire flat. Later I found a significant dent in the rear rim, with one spoke so loose it rattled, yipe. A whole lot of adjusting later, it seemed aligned again, but still lopes along. Might write to my friends in China to get a new rim and a bunch of those thicker spokes. Can't find either available here.

Skirted the pothole today, and got to work OK.

Didn't get a dent in the front rim, because (a) there's less weight on it, (b) bike has a front suspension, and (c) there's a Schwalbe Big Apple tire on it, 29x2.35. I LOVE that tire. Can't put one on the rear, since the forks are too narrow where they join the bottom bracket. So it still has the 700c x 40 tire that was on it from China. Seems like a pretty tough tire, the pothole mashed it down enough to dent the rim and put a pinhole in the tube, but still no bulges etc. in the tire itself.

This points out to me one of the major obstacles to e-bikes becoming a common, reliable mode of transportation: If you set one up fast enough to be useful (Calif allows up to 30mph top speed), you don't really have enough suspension or inflated tire space to deal with the bumps that exist in many roads, especially at the side of the road. Yes, it was stupid of me to let it scream down that hill, and I wasn't looking far enough ahead for such potholes. Live and learn. But I'll never be 100% perfect, and it's just a matter of time before it happens again, somewhere else. Wouldn't have fazed a car at all, or even a motorcycle, because the tires are fatter and the suspension better.

You registered it? How much did that cost? And what was your reasoning behind it? Also are you required then to have turn signals and all that like a moped?

*Edit* Awesome story btw, smart biker, may as well use the boost provided to you.

I ride my bike at 35ish mph, and handles cracks, dips, and such well enough. I have narrow tires on it as an attempt to reduce rolling resistance, so I can feel the rim hit now and then when I ride over a curb, but otherwise it is alright. I want to try putting mountain bike tires back on again and see if I lose any speed. They are definitely preferable for handling and safety.

Demosthenes said:
You registered it? How much did that cost? And what was your reasoning behind it? Also are you required then to have turn signals and all that like a moped?

*Edit* Awesome story btw, smart biker, may as well use the boost provided to you.
California law defines two kinds of motorized bikes: Those with a top speed of 20mph, and those with a top speed of 30mph.

The 20mph ones don't have many rules. You have to be 16 or older, and you have to wear a helmet when you ride. That's it.

The 30mph ones (like mine) have more rules. You have to register with DMV (one-time fee of $18), then they send you a registration sheet and a small metal license plate. No recurring yearly fees, which is nice. The 30mph ones must have headlight, taillight, brake lights, and a mirror. And you must have a moped license or motorcycle license, or permit for same.

Both the 20mph and 30mph bikes can be ridden wherever bicycles can go, meaning anywhere except freeways.

To answer your question, yes, a 30mph bike is a moped, by California law.

Other states usually have different laws, I only know about California ones I'm afraid.

I love the story. Where you from in California? I'm just south of San Francisco.

I didn't know about the option for registration either. That's good to know. Any pics of your setup available yet? I'm curious how it all looks after complying with all the registration rules.

If I could pay a one time registration fee to legally be allowed to go 50km/hr I totally would. Course then I would actually have to get my license, which I've been putting off for years. Here in BC you can go up to 70km/hr (43mph) with a "limited speed motorcycle" but you have to be registered and insured, which can cost a fortune.

This isn't the Trek, but is another 48V 1000W ebike I've put together. Performance is the same, and it actually rides smoother than the Trek. I'll probably sell it.

Attachments

• cimmaron00_75.jpg
    cimmaron00_75.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 919
Back