Rolling Resistance (RR) - Understanding Tires

DrkAngel said:
Might have just found my new - Best Bargain Tire!

2.125" x 26" and it doesn't look too impressive ...
But!
Kevlar Belted!
40-65psi!
Price: $15.38 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. (I bought 2 & $5 gloves to get free shipping)

Just ordered 3 more of these for my Schwinn Meridian Trike.
These are heavy, presumably very durable tires.
The relatively flat tread, large size and Kevlar belting, should be ideal for cruising an eTrike.

Sorry, I got the last available ....
But Amazon.com promises "more available soon".
To guarantee low price ... You can order now and they will ship when new stock arrives. Higher price w\shipping from alternate sources ...

Nice find on the tires. I would love to hear how they work out, although my trike has 26 and 20" tires.

Speaking of trikes, I am guessing you could ballpark rolling resistence for a trike by evenly dividing the space under the rr line, bisecting the angle and adding to the top?

Sound reasonable?

Only problem I see is that rolling resistence becomes nonlinear with increased torque, aka spinout territory has very high energy loss and heat produced with slippage, and electrics are notorious for instantaneous torque.

Sancho's Horse said:
... Speaking of trikes, I am guessing you could ballpark rolling resistance for a trike by evenly dividing the space under the rr line, bisecting the angle and adding to the top?

Sound reasonable?
RR is a combined factor of tire and weight ... deformation.
3 tires bearing same total weight as 2 tires likely have the same total RR ... if trike wheels precisely aligned!

Where the rubber meets the road
By: Lennard Zinn
What makes a tire fast? We went to Nastola, Finland to find out. There, in the labs of Wheel Energy Oy — the best facility in the world for evaluating rolling resistance — we tested 34 tire models to separate the hype from the science.
http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast
VeloNov_TireChart.jpg

No tires from Serfas. No tires from Maxxis. No tires from Panaracer?!

And no tires from Grand Bois, who've made rolling resistance their whole deal, ever. They even consider total rolling resistance including bump losses instead of only rubber losses (which I'm sure the Velonews tests did not consider).

My other observation is that not a single one of the tires they did test would be appropriate for an e-bike, except maybe in some sort of specific single event application.

Some may be curious now... what exactly a ("good") "ebike" tire looks like.

speedmd said:
Another specialized puff pc. When will this monster be slain!

HEY! I just bought this am a Bontrager tire. Watt is listed near top of list... (grumble grumble)

Back