Samsung 40T3 vs Samsung 30T vs Molicel P42A Comparison

Jacka98

10 W
Molicel P42A, Samsung 30T and Samsung 40T3 comparision. All batteries were tested with 30A test. They were charged to 4.2V and cutoff 2.5V. There is little voltage drop between battery and the tester so the real capacities are actually little higher Samsung 40t3 warmed up so hot that I was little worried. It is clearly isn't 30A continuous cell.

But in my opinion if price is not considered, Molicel P42A is the winner. For high current batteries, Samsung 30T is the best, because it has lowest internal resistance and it stayed the coolest.

Thanks for sharing the results of your tests! Assuming all these cells were new, or near new, I think your results mostly echo Pajda's. In his cycle testing, the new P42A outperformed the new 40T3, but the two cells were more closely matched as they aged, and the 40T3 delivered more mAh by the end of 1000 cycles. Granted, his tests were performed at 5c, so closer to 20A. Interestingly, in Pajda's tests, the 40T3 also stayed cooler than the P42A.

Did you solder those 10AWG-ish leads directly onto the battery terminals?

Thanks for sharing the results of your tests! Assuming all these cells were new, or near new, I think your results mostly echo Pajda's. In his cycle testing, the new P42A outperformed the new 40T3, but the two cells were more closely matched as they aged, and the 40T3 delivered more mAh by the end of 1000 cycles. Granted, his tests were performed at 5c, so closer to 20A. Interestingly, in Pajda's tests, the 40T3 also stayed cooler than the P42A.

Did you solder those 10AWG-ish leads directly onto the battery terminals?
Samsung 40T3 was brand new 0 cycles and the P42A and 30T were reclaimed but also 0 cycles before test. That's very interesting thread. Yes I soldered the 8AWG wires to the cells. I think that 30A continuous might be little too much for 40T3. With 20A test it sure would be much cooler.

Back