Scratch Built - Stealth Fighter Style Bike

The bike was finally out for a test ride at the weekend. It's not finished, the side panels need closing off from behind, it needs painting, wires tidying etc but the weather was good so it was time for a ride.

I did 80 miles in total. One ride was 60 miles on a single charge with still some reserve in the pack. I was pleased with that.

The bike is now in pieces for a few tweeks, ready for some more testing next weekend.

Attachments

• Test Ride 2.jpg
    Test Ride 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,735
Storapa said:
One more pic from the weekend.

Long time lurker, just purchased my first conversion kit. I must say though, this is one of the best looking bike builds I've seen yet. It looks very balanced, purposeful, yet beautiful. Very nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project, thanks for posting.

Wolfeman said:
Storapa said:
One more pic from the weekend.

Long time lurker, just purchased my first conversion kit. I must say though, this is one of the best looking bike builds I've seen yet. It looks very balanced, purposeful, yet beautiful. Very nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project, thanks for posting.

Morning Wolfeman,

Thanks for the compliment. The bike has been driving me mad recently, so that was much needed. It's two steps forwards and one back at the moment.

I'll post an update later today when I've sorted the latest photos.

Man, this project has been driving me mad. I've made a few more changes to the bike. The weather in the UK is not that good some of the time. As this machine is designed to be used all year round, I made some changes to the motor cable protection. All connections now sit within the frame, out of the weather. This is why the bottom bracket area has been redesigned. I've also made some changes to the main frame area. This has made the bike a bit stiffer.

0833.jpg

I've also mounted a rack so that I can use panniers to save me using a rucksack.

0831.jpg

All cables and wires are cleaned up and the CA has a dedicated mount.

0830.jpg

The final picture illustrates how marrow the frame is. It's just under 100mm wide. I wanted to make sure I could use a regular 68mm bottom bracket shell easily.

I've covered about 200 miles so far, testing the bike. Range between charges has been encouraging. Riding it fairly hard, but not taking the pi** too much has resulted in 75 - 80 miles, and not dropping below 3.6 v per cell. If I took it easy, I feel that 100 miles plus is possible.

Last night was a bit of a disaster. I've spent so many hours on this project I was getting frustrated. I plugged in the charger as I wanted to cover another 100 miles or so before the final strip down for paint. The charger made a buzzing sound and then popped, letting a small amount of smoke out. It's been used about three times. I need to figure out what the issue is as I only have a balance charger available now. It looks like one of the FETs has let go? I don't know enough about these things at the moment, so need to do some investigation work. Sigh. I'm struggling to find an 84v bulk charger, but I do have a Brusa charger that I might be able to program and use.

Anyway, the bike is now at my mates workshop as I was tired of looking at it. It was in danger of being chucked out of my workshop to reside in the garden.

That's it for now.

sweet job mate. Best Stealth clone I have seen.

Willow said:
sweet job mate. Best Stealth clone I have seen.

Thanks Willow.

I was close to giving up on it last night. We will see if my enthusiasm returns.

Shit to hear about your power supply dying. I've been using the 900w dcdc convertors on ebay for £16, they have a digital screen and are cccv and you can easily program them for different voltages and current limits. I can also sell you a modded 12v powersupply to power it (or use anything below the max voltage 60v input) you can parallel the if you need more amps too.

There are cheaper ones which do 1200w but they don't have the screen and the limiting is done via a variable pot so not as precise or easy.

What I do is have the bulk constant voltage psus (36v server supplies 12x3 in series for potentially 1200w) at each end of my commute and only carry the dcdc as its soooo light. Been great so far. Must build a better enclosure for it though. Failing that a satiator from Grin is what id get if I had the mooola.

Btw like the bike, nice electra style mud guards.

Hi Whereswally,

Thanks for the charger info and offer. I'm going to try to repair the original charger first. It looks like a FET has let go, but not sure why.

Thread here:- https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81537

If anybody has any advice about repairing my charger I'd be interested to hear and grateful.

Cheers.

Cyclezee said:
Hi Storapa,

I saw your bike this afternoon when I was visiting Graham T, an impressive piece of work :D

Morning Cyclezee,

Thanks for the compliment. The bike is having a rest with Graham, as the charger issue nearly drove me over the edge. It's nice not to be working on it all the time.

Graham does a good job with his wheel building. I've seen your motors at his workshop a few times now.

Can't believe I've missed your thread mate. Awesome build and rock hard skills.

macribs said:
Can't believe I've missed your thread mate. Awesome build and rock hard skills.

Cheers Macribs,

It's been a tough build. I need to summon up the enthusiasm to finish it now.

Shit forgot about this thread. [strike]Looking back storapa was a way ahead of Stealth. He made his version before the Stealth/FUTR frame kit was available[/strike]. Seems I miss read the year. :oops:

Morning folks,

Yup, I finished the bike, other than paint. It rode beautifully and the range was excellent. The EIG cells just keep going. The complete package worked very well. The issue was that the bike was just too fast. A bit of a mallet to crack a nut as In reality, I just wanted a commuter bike. Anyway, the bike is now sitting in the workshop whilst I decide what to do with it. I'll either sell it, or break it up for parts. I could do with the CA for another project.

I've since built a bike with a torque sensing BB and a Mac motor. It's much better for my commute.

Back