Securing Theft and Vandal Proofing ebike ideas?

Rifle said:
thedarlington said:
rifle can you confirm what the price per ping would be for one of these babys
Yes, in my LittleBuddy account it has the option for a pay-as-you go plan. The pay-as-you-go plan is $0.99 per tracking, or you can do tracking every 2 minutes for an hour for $4.99.

I guess you would use the 4.99 plan for when you are actually trying to track down where your bike is after it was stolen?

Interesting find, does the pay per page plan have any type of a charge applied to keep the account active? Or is it strictly pay for what you use and no more? I love the idea of tracking as locks are not 100% effective against a crook.

I couldn't find a mention of any fees to keep it active anywhere.

My main concern is the battery. I suppose I need to make a custom metal battery box that I can lock to the frame. A good small u lock is about all you need here in Austin. There is lots of bike theft here, but I think it's due to idiots not locking their bikes up or using cable locks.

Motion detectors would be set off all the time as I sometimes end up touching someone else's bike as I'm locking mine up. But they might work if you lock your bike alone to a pole where it wouldn't normally move.

Crap, this happened even quicker than my worst fears of it. Little Buddy tracking service is shutting down in April 2012.

Just as a quick aside, I'm at an IT security conference. As a fun semi related activity, they taught us how to make a lock pick, and how to pick locks.

They then gave us some locks which had been modified so we could see what was happening inside, and some pad locks ranging in price from $2 to $80. The big difference was the number of pins and the tolerance of the pin inside its shaft. The less play in the pin, the harder it was to pick.

I'm not going to describe the process here to give anyone ideas, but to give an indication of how easy most locks were to break, a 2 pin lock was broken in 10 seconds. A 3 pin lock took about 30 seconds, and a 4 pin lock took about 5 minutes. I couldn't break 5 or 6 pin locks that hadn't been modified. Remember that I have no experience picking locks whatsoever.

Moral of the story is, make sure you get a good pad lock with a lot of bumps on its key (indicating a lot of pins in the lock)

Sunder said:
Just as a quick aside, I'm at an IT security conference. As a fun semi related activity, they taught us how to make a lock pick, and how to pick locks.

They then gave us some locks which had been modified so we could see what was happening inside, and some pad locks ranging in price from $2 to $80. The big difference was the number of pins and the tolerance of the pin inside its shaft. The less play in the pin, the harder it was to pick.

I'm not going to describe the process here to give anyone ideas, but to give an indication of how easy most locks were to break, a 2 pin lock was broken in 10 seconds. A 3 pin lock took about 30 seconds, and a 4 pin lock took about 5 minutes. I couldn't break 5 or 6 pin locks that hadn't been modified. Remember that I have no experience picking locks whatsoever.

Moral of the story is, make sure you get a good pad lock with a lot of bumps on its key (indicating a lot of pins in the lock)

Yeah, but even using a simple rake you can pick $30-50 padlocks in under 30 seconds 80% of the time. The tools are so small and easy to carry around that an amateur like me can get most locks quickly, you need to get the really good ones to be safe, and replace them before the pins start to wear. A few hours practice and you can get 5 pin master locks (style used around campus) in under a minute consistently, fortunately thieves don't seem to pick the locks very often, they tend to break them.

My Lyen controller has had the mod done to it that locks the motor when the key switch is on. That along with a cable for the front wheel/fork/post and a D-lock for the rear, I feel secure enough to leave it for short periods of time. If they cut both locks they still won't be able to ride it away and as the bike weighs ~90 lbs they won't be carrying it too far.

an update to my post, 2 days ago i lost my lock key after a fall and had to cut my ulock, it took 30 mins with a bad arm, bad hacksaw, no experience, and alot of pausing, so dont think u locks are that safe, it was too easy, so once again think about some sort of alarm, mine cost like $5 and its been good enough

currently im happy with the "a b c" sensor alarm, but its power hungry (9v 300mAh lasts 2 weeks), and 9v's suck, too $$$ for low mAh, so i wired up a JST to charge while still on the bike frame (since alarm must come off frame to remove battery, also blacked out the keypad to hide it better and gonna swap out 9v for 3s cr2 lipo's for longer run time soon, looks like theyll barely fit, 9v spaces are real tight, (still looking for prismatic/ phone batts) but overall im happy with this alarm for now, not super secure but enough of a pain that thieves will just go for another bike

i like the concept of the gps above but how many times has your bike light been stolen? ive had about 3 taken in 2 years, id be more worried about the light than the bike itself! i did find this gps tracker built inside the handle stem, it would be nice to simply keep it charged and activate it when u actually need it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW10QqSPcvE&feature=plcp

Back