• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

seen this....?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9102

Looks like a nice ESC for brushless systems capable of short bursts of 200 amps!

I'm just finishing my RC motor electric scooter now. There is a similar 120A ESC on hobbyking, but it can handle 36 Nimh cells instead of 18. That will probably be my next choice ESC If i build an electric BMX next. Along with a 6kw RC motor rather than the 3kw I'm using at the moment.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Castle Creations HV110 ESC for your purposes. It is good up to 50 volts at 110 amps and is fully programmable. I have a number of them and love them.

You can skimp a bit on the motor, but not the controller on a RC based system.

Matt

Hi Matt,
Check out this thread on the HobbyKing forum: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=289 by liveforphysics (from our forum as well?)
He says that the new generation of Turnigy ESCs are pretty good, and do not loose sync with the motors at any time.
These controllers are half the price of Castles.
His experience is good enough for me, so I placed an order for one for my next project.

nutsandvolts said:
Look at the rpm numbers. It's not for hub motors, it's for RC cars. Now some people are using RC motors on ebike,
and you can find tons of info on this forum archive if you look, but it's not good for the motors most of us use.

I'm a newbie here and not familiar with the locations of things yet - could you point me in the right direction to review the forum archives you mention above? A simple link would be nice. I am interested in understanding why the RC controller mentioned in this topic is not viable for a hub motor. The size & weight are minimal while the power rating is phenomenal. I am also very interested in regenerative braking configuration as a way to to provide additional (power assist) braking as well as initial power surge reservoir with a small bank of super capacitors. Thanks! :)

wundermaus said:
I am also very interested in regenerative braking configuration as a way to to provide additional (power assist) braking as well as initial power surge reservoir with a small bank of super capacitors. Thanks! :)
Hi wundermaus. Welcome aboard ES. Getting OT so ya might start a separate thread on this subject, but my take from what I have read is that the gains from regen for a light weight vehicle are minimal... that ya need mass to see any real advantage versus the extra complexity of the caps and electronics necessary to handle the massive flows... Having said this, I have toyed (literally) w/tiny toy electric cars that are caps only... caps only because the masses involved were soooo tiny.
Looking at available RC product for terrestrial traction now works for some only because the RC product is designed for giant RC apps, none of which are concerned w/regen (yet) AFAIK.

I would look at a bank of caps for acceleration definitely (for light-weight EV), but for regen, not so much.
Go with the flow
tks
Lock

Dave-s said:
Hi Matt,
Check out this thread on the HobbyKing forum: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=289 by liveforphysics (from our forum as well?)
He says that the new generation of Turnigy ESCs are pretty good, and do not loose sync with the motors at any time.
These controllers are half the price of Castles.
His experience is good enough for me, so I placed an order for one for my next project.

I am familair with the issues related to the old style controllers and the new style controllers. There are more issues than just syncing. Programmability is one major thing I look at and the Castle controllers are second to none in that area. Then there is warrantee/repair. Again, Castle is second to none there. Also, the Castle controllers are in their second generation as well. They run nice and cool, the start without pedalling, they are very smooth and linear in throttle response, etc, etc, etc.

I do not mean to argue about this. However, I have found the added hundred bucks for the Castle controllers is well worth the money. For someone starting out, I want to make sure everything works without problems.

Matt

Thank you nutsnvolts & Lock for your generous replies and warm welcome. Your forum is a wealth of information, experience, and collaboration. I think I am in very good company here. - & Will take your good advice!

Back