• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Sine wave vs Square wave test

I swapped out my 22a KT square wave controller for a 25a KT sine wave controller. The changes were more subtle than I expected with the exception of one. It reduced my top speed from just over 20mph down to just under 18mph. Why would this happen?

Interesting, have you went through and programmed them ( are the settings the same? )

Only thing that changed was the controller so I did not reprogram anything. There really aren't any settings that would change.

Are you running a motor that requires a very high eRPM? I don't really know, but it would make sense to me if a constructed sine wave tops out at a lower frequency than a trapezoidal wave.

I don't pretend to know the reasons behind it but it's fairly well known in the vesc community that you'll lose a small percentage of top end using sine over square. Have a search on the electric skateboard forums and i imagine you'll find a reason behind it

Sine wave has less power take a look at "root mean squared" RMS. Square wave gives 100% power for a time period take a look at "pulse width modulation" PWM.

Back