So, who's hiding a project?

MitchJi said:
Do you know the approximate prices for the SR6 and SR8 which have a similar geometry?
No, I was interested in the Racelink from the start so I didn't inquire.
MitchJi said:
What are the advantages of the Racelink other than 9" travel rather than 6" or 8"?
I like the placement of the rear shock on the Racelink. I can easily create a new front triangle for it to adapt other motors, batteries and leave the existing shock hard points where they are. I don't know that I need the extra travel, but it will be fun in the trails.
MitchJi said:
If you can fit 2 freewheels on the jackshaft, one for the motor driven sprocket and one for the pedal driven sprocket you will have the advantages of the SRAM with dual FW's but with the flexibility to use any rear hub.
He said it uses a 20mm jackshaft and I think it would be simple enough to put dual freewheels on it. I would have to reduce the rpm at the jackshaft a whole lot more though. I was tempted to do that, but I decided a while back not to connect my crank to the rear wheel. I am going to turn a generator of some sort (possibly a battery powered drill motor/gearbox). Even if it only is to provide a load to pedal against. For a high powered ebike, I just don't see any real advantages to directly coupling the crank to the rear wheel. My cyclone is weak with its sla batteries but I can get to 30mph quick enough. I never pedal due to the incorrect gearing. But even if I could, I doubt I would be able to push it much faster once I am already above 30mph. If Texas laws didn't require pedaling above 30mph, I wouldn't put on cranks at all. In Texas and drivers can pretty much run you over dead without so much as a ticket. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/63116092.html. From riding here I have found any distractions such as changing my gears can be a pain, especially when dealing with traffic. So I have decided on the simplest setup. No more gears for me, just more amps. I want to electronically limit the bike to 30 unless there is a voltage coming in on the generator. Again, I understand I won't be able to add much power wise with it.

Anyway, Joe at BMW just told me he has a used Racelink that would be good to use, so maybe I will have it sooner than I thought. -David.

Hi,

damcard said:
Joe at BMW just told me he has a used Racelink that would be good to use, so maybe I will have it sooner than I thought. -David.

Thanks for the BMW information. I hope you get a great price on the Racelink :D

damcard said:
I am going to turn a generator of some sort (possibly a battery powered drill motor/gearbox). Even if it only is to provide a load to pedal against. For a high powered ebike, I just don't see any real advantages to directly coupling the crank to the rear wheel. My cyclone is weak with its sla batteries but I can get to 30mph quick enough. I never pedal due to the incorrect gearing. But even if I could, I doubt I would be able to push it much faster once I am already above 30mph. If Texas laws didn't require pedaling above 30mph, I wouldn't put on cranks at all…

From riding here I have found any distractions such as changing my gears can be a pain, especially when dealing with traffic. So I have decided on the simplest setup. No more gears for me, just more amps. I want to electronically limit the bike to 30 unless there is a voltage coming in on the generator. Again, I understand I won't be able to add much power wise with it.
You might enjoy this video of a crazily expensive ebike on which the pedals power a generator and replace the throttle (I don't think no throttle is a good idea). OTOH an Ebike that is relatively safe at 50mph is pretty nice:
[youtube]TzdNI8geL7w[/youtube]

Another video here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8147104.stm?ls
A Berlin inventor has come up with an electric bike which you power by pedaling that can reach speeds of 50 mph.

Stefan Gulas has developed a system that amplifies the effort you put in by a factor of 50, meaning you can accelerate quickly and maintain high speeds with very little effort.

OK, so I just picked up what might just be the most suited frame for my own personal ebike nirvana, EXCEPT it doesnt have rear suspension. :cry: It was a good deal, so I couldnt pass it up. Anyway, if you notice the rear dropouts are removable, and the bike actually comes with both styles, vertical and horizontal. If you are following me, that means that I can put a belt on there and tension it with the rear wheel while having it pass through the rear triangle to a frame mounted motor. You will also notice that the rear traingle has dual mounting locations for 24" or 26" rims. I think this would make an excellent location for a friction drive system to mount, or a battery pack, or even a motor mount. There are alot of possibilities for this bike, but I will probably turn it into a single stage build for hucking around town.

I also have a Cove G Spot frame, but I don't think I want to electrify that one. I got it cuz it is really stout, but still relatively light, and I love the machined suspension linkage, and also because I have problem with buying too many damn frames. :roll: So which frame to build, and which to sell. I want suspension, but I REALLY like the useability of that damn Jibster.

Attachments

• jibster frame.jpg
    jibster frame.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2,744
  • jibster brake.jpg
    jibster brake.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,746
  • jibster dropout.jpg
    jibster dropout.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,745
  • cove g spot.jpg
    cove g spot.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,746
that Cove G Spot frame looks alot like a Kona Stinky shaped frame to me

KiM

this old horse was rode hard and put away wet. been in storage for almost 3 years.

100_1013.JPG100_1015.JPG

due to light wheel loading, that front hub motor has got to go. not enough traction. the motor just knid of skips along. thinking of going with a mid drive motor driving through the gears and a true differential on the rear. also needs suspension on the front.

i'm not sure if i want to keep the current Shimano Auto-D Nexus automatic (4spd internal) or go for a NuVinci.

decisions, decisions. anyone need a Crystalyte 409/4011 dual speed front motor?

rick

rkosiorek said:
thinking of going with a mid drive motor driving through the gears and a true differential on the rear. also needs suspension on the front.

I recall a character from here did a non hub mid mount drive setup on his trike, bit of a back-yard-hack he was though, theres a video of the trike on Youtube
Seems to GO alright though, I hear this blokes a bit of a ladies man to gets all the wiminez :mrgreen:

KiM

Aussie

Nice trike! How do you keep it from locking up when you steer? Is it a one-sided rear wheel drive or are you working with some kind of a freewheel setup to allow the drive train to push both wheels?

dequinox said:
Nice trike! How do you keep it from locking up when you steer? Is it a one-sided rear wheel drive or are you working with some kind of a freewheel setup to allow the drive train to push both wheels?

Cheers mate...it has exactly the same rear end as the trike posted on the previous page by rkosiorek actually...You can buy them for ~120 bucks from ChoppersUS...One side is the drive wheel the other freewheels. Riding it though you wouldn't know that both rears aren't doing the pushing...well...cept on right hand corners, the wheel REALLY likes to let rip and smokez up hehehe...

KiM

I'm not hiding anything so much as waiting for stuff to come in. The trike is here, but the laundry list of other things I need to get together is a mile long.
4190137124_5d7f995f83.jpg

There will be fear in their hearts when she is finished. Meanwhile one step at a time.

Thats a nice looking trike :: cough:: for a tadpole :: cough :: <--attempt at 'baiting OtherDoc' hehe..seriously though, what model is that? looks fast just sitting there with its slick road tires, what motor setup you getting ? pleeease say rc setup with a Mr Recumpence SiR reduction drive and other assorted CNC and carbon fibre bling pleeeeease....LoL

KiM

AussieJester said:
Thats a nice looking trike :: cough:: for a tadpole :: cough :: <--attempt at 'baiting OtherDoc' hehe..seriously though, what model is that? looks fast just sitting there with its slick road tires, what motor setup you getting ? pleeease say rc setup with a Mr Recumpence SiR reduction drive and other assorted CNC and carbon fibre bling pleeeeease....LoL

KiM
It is a slightly modified Catrike 700. Shellly the lady who welded the frame made a few adjustments for me at the factory. I plan on using Recumpence's RC gear ofcourse nothing, but the best will do for her. While the front Kojack tires will always remain. The rear Durano that is on it, is just the roll around wheel. For road running it would be a Durano Plus, and for track a Ultremo R radial. Hopefully all the data can be logged in the Garmin Edge 705 on the left tiller bar. I'm still working on the program for that. The rear aerodynamic housing is being built in Tucson AZ. I am hoping to see it by the end of the month, film at 11. With any luck, and nothing untoward raises its ugly head. Early May should see her red hot and rolling. As for nice looking. That is just the chassis without anything but the mirrors. You haven't seen nuthun yet bud.

Kirk,
That trike is sleeeeekk!! Lovin the design on the frame, especially the rear dropout/ triangle. Don't you think she is a bit llllooooowwwww for riding on the street?!! Are you gonna put a bashguard on that bottom tube to keep from denting it on speedbumps etc...? I would fall asleep motoring around on that seat. :mrgreen:

Hey Kirk!

I own the same trike (in black). Kirk and I ageed it would be best for me to work out any clearnace issues on mine before he orders his drive parts.

I am mounting a drive on mine over the next month or two.

Matt

Kirk,
Looks like a good place to sleep when you get tired. ;^) Sounds like it will be fassst? Good that Matt has one and is going to werq out the kinks first. Hard to beat that kind of thing. Lots of us from Oregon here. I was born on the southern coast but now inland in the big city.

She does appear low, but that is deceiving. She clears all but the more serious speed bumps just fine. The recline angle is 27 degrees. Which I must admit is not for everyone. I on the other hand can't ride a recumbent with it any higher, without increasing my pain level beyond what I feel is acceptable. I have a 53T Rotor Q Ring for my big chainring,and can get over 40 MPH without E-Assist. 700s in the right hands are by nature of their basic design fast. I've already done some things to improve her performance. With the parts that Matt has, the 700s promise to be pretty interesting builds. I expect Matts to be much faster than mine though. I think Matt's designs lends themselves to the tadpole trike design. It all flows in a linear fashion, and just makes sense.
Waldport is just 15 miles down the coast from my place. I live in South Beach, just South of Newport. For the present I'm in Lincoln IL until the little woman finishs a project for her company.

Kirk said:
It is a slightly modified Catrike 700. Shellly the lady who welded the frame made a few adjustments for me at the factory. I plan on using Recumpence's RC gear ofcourse nothing, but the best will do for her.

eeeexcellent, your lucky Matt has one too! when your parts arrive you will be certain they will be a bolt up fit ready to go without any modifications needed! I'm even more looking forward to seeing it up and running now i know Matts cnc pr0n is being used!

KiM

i stripped some parts off of the Delta Trike frame, put it up on the stand and started looking at options.

1st option - a pair of 500W Cyclone geared motors feeding a mid-drive NuVinci. sort of okay, but those Cyclones are really long. motor sticking out all over the place.
2nd option - a pair of 1000W Powerpack motors through a Jackshaft feeding the NuVinci. sort of liked the idea. so i mocked up the parts into the rear triangle.100_1019.JPGView attachment 2

doesn't quite fit. but i'm sure that with some planning and liberal application of the old Russian Wrench (24oz Deadblow Mallet) we can make it fit.

Add triple clamp forks up front with a 24" bicycle tire. add a differential and disc brakes to the rear axle. finish off the rear with a pair of Pirelli 2.75" wide scooter tires.

View attachment 1

Pirelli semi-slick scooter tires on the right. end up being about 22" outside diameter. You Know, it could work.

rick

rkosiorek said:
i stripped some parts off of the Delta Trike frame, put it up on the stand and started looking at options.

1st option - a pair of 500W Cyclone geared motors feeding a mid-drive NuVinci. sort of okay, but those Cyclones are really long. motor sticking out all over the place.
2nd option - a pair of 1000W Powerpack motors through a Jackshaft feeding the NuVinci. sort of liked the idea. so i mocked up the parts into the rear triangle.

doesn't quite fit. but i'm sure that with some planning and liberal application of the old Russian Wrench (24oz Deadblow Mallet) we can make it fit.

Add triple clamp forks up front with a 24" bicycle tire. add a differential and disc brakes to the rear axle. finish off the rear with a pair of Pirelli 2.75" wide scooter tires.

Pirelli semi-slick scooter tires on the right. end up being about 22" outside diameter. You Know, it could work.

rick

I'm jealous of your 1000W Powerpack motors, they look juicy to me. Aren't they out of stocks for years? How did you manage to get them? :D

lyen said:
I'm jealous of your 1000W Powerpack motors, they look juicy to me. Aren't they out of stocks for years? How did you manage to get them? :D

To paraphrase Agent 86 (Maxwell Smart) "Would you believe, they have been sitting on a shelf in storage for years?"

too bad that i can only find one of the matching controllers. but i have a bunch of Crystalyte V1 analog controllers that i have been procrastinating repairing. a couple of those with some 4110's and the error amps tweaked up to 50 or 60 amp limits should handle that okay.

i had also though of using a crystalyte 5304 in a "Stoke Monkey" style chain drive. but that motor is just too darn large. i would need some seriously large frame mods to fit that. so that was rejected.

rick

The eMundo http://tiny.cc/eMundo will be morphing from the Astro 3210/Phoenix HV-110 to a 3220 (6 wire)/Phoenix Ice HV 160. 8)

P1001169.jpg

P1001171.jpg

The 3210 combo will be installed on this Surly Big Dummy.

It may take some time, as school, work, and aileron construction are also on my plate. Great forum with great people.

Thanks everyone...

Mark W. Dickey
KHYS/KU42

What's the pricetag on the HV Ice 160? Where?

Is the big difference in the ICE the data logging? Is there any other difference?

Katou

Hi,

katou said:

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=393&cat=2&page=1
Price: $271.95

katou said:
Is the big difference in the ICE the data logging? Is there any other difference?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14556&p=217163
Looks like the pricing info I was given (or heard incorrectly) was way off on the pricing. I was expecting prices along the lines of the old HV110, but with so many features it is almost silly to expect that from the Ice HV160. Plus it has an extruded case with bolt holes. But, it is cheaper than the HV140's by a nice margin.

Cheaper than the HV140, and more features to boot. I love the progression of tech. We will be able to measure current ripple with these, and judge just how much our batteries sag under load. On board data logging will prove VERY useful.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11019&p=217072
HV110 and HV140 ESCs are dead in my eyes, I won't be ordering more. I am waiting on a shipment of Ice HV160 controllers at the moment. They had some bugs that needed working out, but they are actually built. Data logging and ripple voltage will be very handy info indeed.

MitchJi said:
Hi,

katou said:

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=393&cat=2&page=1
Price: $271.95

katou said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14556&p=217163
Looks like the pricing info I was given (or heard incorrectly) was way off on the pricing. I was expecting prices along the lines of the old HV110, but with so many features it is almost silly to expect that from the Ice HV160. Plus it has an extruded case with bolt holes. But, it is cheaper than the HV140's by a nice margin.

Cheaper than the HV140, and more features to boot. I love the progression of tech. We will be able to measure current ripple with these, and judge just how much our batteries sag under load. On board data logging will prove VERY useful.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11019&p=217072
HV110 and HV140 ESCs are dead in my eyes, I won't be ordering more. I am waiting on a shipment of Ice HV160 controllers at the moment. They had some bugs that needed working out, but they are actually built. Data logging and ripple voltage will be very handy info indeed.

mitch you are like the human search engine. do you have a photographic memory or something. what was the GDP of Papua New Guinea in 1983?

Back