• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

PaulD said:
liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:
Dam wished I could come.... Its going to be next year for me though.. :(

If you can make it down to Oregon, I bet PaulD will give you a ride to SF area, where he is meeting with me and some friends to carpool the rest of the way.

For sure, west coast riders coming from anywhere north of Ashland, OR, can meet up here and carpool down to meet up with the Bay Area carpool.
Hmmm Thanks Paul.... But I don't really have a bike ready for this or the cash. As for carpooling that helps a bunch but the time is the other issue. I will see what I can come up with.

Seriously Arlo, you've got over 1 month... We built entire bicycles from scratch in 4 days... The last race you helped me with, the engine and tranny and fueling system of my racecar were in little pieces all over my work bench 2 days before you got there, and I got everything put together and we made it to the race (which was tragically rained out).

I just can't accept 1 month as an excuse to not have enough time. If it's really a cash problem, you can borrow what you need from me.

My guess? Arlo's woman doesn't like the thought of Arlo racing because she worries about him getting hurt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :)

New rule for gas and ebikes: All bikes must have an adequate front and rear brake.

So called "regen brakes" are not acceptable as a braking system.

The only exception to this rule is for the guys in the 50 cc 4 stroke class and
the 2 stroke Chinese kit bike class that only have a coaster brake and are not
serious racers.
It is a fun event and i don't want to discourage new riders in the 2 low powered and
speed classes from participating.
To everyone with only a coaster rear brake it is strongly recommended to get your
bike fitted with a front brake.

Only 33 days to go to the big day.

liveforphysics said:
Seriously Arlo, you've got over 1 month... We built entire bicycles from scratch in 4 days... The last race you helped me with, the engine and tranny and fueling system of my racecar were in little pieces all over my work bench 2 days before you got there, and I got everything put together and we made it to the race (which was tragically rained out).

I just can't accept 1 month as an excuse to not have enough time. If it's really a cash problem, you can borrow what you need from me.

My guess? Arlo's woman doesn't like the thought of Arlo racing because she worries about him getting hurt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :)
Hahaa No she doesnt care if I get hurt. I will get insurance. I dont have the parts I want to build a race bike and dont want to spend the time or money on them right now. I have little time because I will be taking time off work for a trip already the start of next month. I made my self a rule that I will pay off my VISA by sept 2012 or I am selling my Road Runner. I know i can build bikes fast but when I have to order parts and wait for them to come in and when I have to use borrowed money for that..... IDK I would rather get it together properly and make a killer bike in time for next year so I can sort out all the bugs. But I will see what comes in for money and work over the next few days....

Paul_D :!: :!: :!: :!:

There's a benchmark to get us building . . . . fassssstttttt . . . . . .

Use your x5 bmx dude. Good riding on that bike would get you to the podium.

liveforphysics said:
You think 50mph top speed is good enough?

From what I have read about past races 45mph is about the max the guys could hit before running out of straight... I think ThudSTeR got to 50 on his twin turnigy 2speed Bully though, over heating would be your issue IMO, the constant stopping and accelerating is tiff for the frocked bikes apparently...you run active cooling IIRC Arlo1? Might help a little, be nice to see another smoking frock though :p

KiM

Arlo1 said:
liveforphysics said:

50mph will be plenty fast. Seriously.

AussieJester said:
From what I have read about past races 45mph is about the max the guys could hit before running out of straight... I think ThudSTeR got to 50 on his twin turnigy 2speed Bully though, over heating would be your issue IMO, the constant stopping and accelerating is tiff for the frocked bikes apparently...you run active cooling IIRC Arlo1? Might help a little, be nice to see another smoking frock though :p

KiM
If I ride it It wont smoke I will tell you that much :wink:

OK so...... IM still pushing in 13-15 kw to get 6.5 hp out Don't the rules say power in is limited below that? Should I bring my dyno to prove everyone's power??? (This is if and a BIG IF I can come)

Arlo1 said:
OK so...... IM still pushing in 13-15 kw to get 6.5 hp out Don't the rules say power in is limited below that? Should I bring my dyno to prove everyone's power??? (This is if and a BIG IF I can come)

Doesn't matter what you put INTO a motor, it's mechanical power limited, not input power limited. lol

Otherwise, the best gasoline bikes would be stuck at about 3-4hp. lol

SoSauty said:
1) e-Bike: generally <9K peak input, 8.1K output almost 11 electric hp
dual motors sum <9K
Turnigy's, Colossus, Astros, others,
<9K input for hubbies C9s, 53XXs, Stoke Monkey, BMC, others
>9K nominal input races in unlimited
Remember, Paul D won at Tucson running <5K though he pedaled and was pretty light :wink:

See MBRs' post below for classes 2 thru 4 and unlimited.
This is what im talking about. I just do want some sorry looser wining that they saw my CA reading 200amps at 93 volts peak when we all know MY x5 stops making any more power at 6.5hp with 24s lipo

Arlo1 said:
SoSauty said:
1) e-Bike: generally <9K peak input, 8.1K output almost 11 electric hp
dual motors sum <9K
Turnigy's, Colossus, Astros, others,
<9K input for hubbies C9s, 53XXs, Stoke Monkey, BMC, others
>9K nominal input races in unlimited
Remember, Paul D won at Tucson running <5K though he pedaled and was pretty light :wink:

See MBRs' post below for classes 2 thru 4 and unlimited.
This is what im talking about. I just do want some sorry looser wining that they saw my CA reading 200amps at 93 volts peak when we all know MY x5 stops making any more power at 6.5hp with 24s lipo

Its impossible for your motor to break the 11hp rule no matter how much power you throw at it. I threw 40kw (54hp of electricity) at my custom wound cylte hub on the dyno for the whole world to see, it made 10.7hp and exploded into plasma seconds later.

Absolutely anything with a bicycle hubmotor is sub 11hp output no matter what you do to it. Zero need to fear breaking the power rules.

What im trying to say is I know that and you know that, but are the rest of the people going to know that?

Arlo1 said:
What im trying to say is I know that and you know that, but are the rest of the people going to know that?
All hub motors are just fine to race. There is no way for a hub motor make enough hp to be in the Unlimited Class.

Do you have the specs and a link to the bike you want to race?

Arlo1 said:
liveforphysics said:
How fast do you think you can build a bike to go on that track?

MotorBicycleRacing said:
All hub motors are just fine to race. There is no way for a hub motor make enough hp to be in the Unlimited Class.
So is there going to be anyone in the unlimited class?
MotorBicycleRacing said:
Do you have the specs and a link to the bike you want to race?
Not realy It just a bmx with a hub motor.
MotorBicycleRacing said:
How fast do you think you can build a bike to go on that track?
Not sure its hard to say but I did a 1/4 mile run and I was at 50mph with in 1/8 mile so I guess I would hit top speed on the long strait all the time but if I have more voltage......

MBR said,
Hey Arlo,
I can't find any 10+h.p. hubbies on ES, not continous (in the sense of mostly full throttle racing) anyway. MBR, LFP, AJ say hubbies are OK, so come on out and give some of the RC guys some humble pie :wink:

13-15K is puzzling, C9s turn into smoke under 4K, seems half your power would go to heat and work against you finishing a 15 minute burst.

A hub motor that fits easily into a bicycle frame is not likely to ever produce over 10hp unless its spun over 150km/h!

This is all not a big deal at this point. I would say there is only 10% chance I will be able to come. Biggest reason is the distance and all that goes with traveling such a distance! Time away from my shop and work, cost, etc. Second is its My 1 year anniversary with my gf and I really would not feel right about ditching her for this even though she told me I can go. Third is I feel like I am bringing something sub par when I know I can build better! I am going to be building a purpose build RC setup over the next while and try to have it ready for the next one.

As far as this race is concerned I am going to work hard for the next week or two on the other things I have to do then decide.
I want to come down really really bad but sometimes its best not to drive across a whole country to go for broke!

Attachments

• Capture trip to cali (800 x 531).jpg
    Capture trip to cali (800 x 531).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,297
If you make it to that little dot a bit less than half-way called Medford, you could relax and nap while PaulD takes the reigns and carrys you down to San Jose area, where I pick you both up and carry you down to the racetrack. :)

I understand it doesn't help the GF situation, or the missing time off work situation, but it would at least let you nap and rest rather than driving it all straight. :)

There was mention a while ago that the registration/sign up was going to be posted soon, but it was stated that it was going to be posted on the other site. I tried goin through that thread, but it is pretty long by now. Has it been posted yet? Can it be posted here as well for those of us that aren't signed up for that other forum?

Neil, is it possible to run a <11 hp bike in the unlimited class if our lap times are at least in the competitive range? Sometimes under powered bikes can be over ridden to be similar lap times to over powered bikes. I realize that we won't win it, but it sounds like there is only one rider in that class at the moment. Might make for a more exciting race if there were more people in it. I'm not sure my batteries would be up for it looking at how the schedule is layed out, the ultimate race and then the next race is the unlimited. But I sure would like to try. If I'm driving all the way out from Florida for this event, I would like to be getting as much track time as possible, regardless of my result.

I am going to the Grange track this Friday to check everything
out for the race and take pics.
Planning on being there at about 10 am with my pal Dan who
will be running his new 4 stroke chopper build around the track.

Everyone who wants to get some practice in is welcome to join us.
Grange track charges $30 to practice on any day there isn't a
scheduled event so you have 30 days before the race.

You can check the calendar here.
http://www.grangeracetrack.com/calendar.htm

picture.php

I know it can be a scoarcher up there in the high desert. Since I'm bringing my race van, I will have a couple of canopies with me. I have a 10x8 and a 12x12. I'll set them both up in the pits and an open invitation to any ES members who don't have a canopy can pit under the shade with me.

Back