• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

Oh, yeah, I also have motocross style knee and elbow pads if you would prefer to use that type of setup. They are the EVS ones that have the velcro straps to hold them in place, so I do recommend wearing something over them to keep them from coming off in the event of a crash. I'll throw those in my gear bag too just in case you want to try that route.

I got these leathers plus 2 more sets if you want to use any. But some of them will require you to ride with my name on them. It will look like I'm racing different year versions of myself. :lol:

Jay64, you'd be my hero if you bring a set of leathers, boots and gloves for me. I'd have less fear of going down on a track that way. Bike parts are cheap, hospital visits aren't.

Last thing I'm going to worry about is the name. Duct tape and a sharpie can fix that. I rode my 26" bike this morning and took a corner too fast while leaning pretty hard (now I wonder how far over I was) and had the rear end start skidding out, but I saved it by counter steering and turned it into rear wheel hopping drift for about 10 feet, I wish I had on video now. I guess I'm lucky that this bike counter steers like a MC does over 25 mph. The part that scares me is that it didn't freak me out the least little bit and it should of. Even had an audience so I'm glad I didn't go down and lose skin + bruised ego.

This was my first and last street bike '91 fzr 1000, sold not wrecked (I learned for several 1000 miles on a dual sport first).
Yamaha%20FZR1000%2091%20%204.jpg

I only go the point of using all by the last 1cm of the rear tire, but our roads are slick. No short side radius rpm increases in a turn for me please. I'll most likely just take it easy around the track and just have fun.

Zombiess, what size boot do you wear? I'll definitely bring some extra leathers, boots, and a bunch of gloves. You did say that you have a helmet, right? Now I just gotta get my bike going. A this point I might just be bringing a 30 mph hub motored bike myself. :lol:

Jay64 said:
Zombiess, what size boot do you wear? I'll definitely bring some extra leathers, boots, and a bunch of gloves. You did say that you have a helmet, right? Now I just gotta get my bike going. A this point I might just be bringing a 30 mph hub motored bike myself. :lol:

I'm a 10 to a 11 depending on the boot/shoe. 10.5 is probably the sweet spot, but 10 will work fine for a 5 lap race even if it's small. I like ankle protection.

Jay64 said:
A this point I might just be bringing a 30 mph hub motored bike myself. :lol:

I'm not sure if we can remnant friends if this happens, Jay :mrgreen:

Seeing those leathers hanging up brings back memories, Jay, my father made tailor made leathers for over 25 years, if you went to drags, speedway or road racing meet 90% of the riders wore my old mans leathers, he had quite the reputation in his day.

KiM

They all fit differently. I'll try them all on and make sure I bring the loosest fitting one.

Kim, how a bout if I hold 30 mph through every turn, will that make up for it? :mrgreen: That's cool that ur pops used to make leathers. I owe my life to guys like him.

Please email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com
to Register for the Saturday Oct 22nd Grange Race.

Please put your Race Number and Forum Name as the
email subject so I know who you are.

Copy and paste the questions below.

1) Forum name.

2) Real name.

3) Race number from Willow Springs if you had one.
( You can pick a number if you don't have one )

4) What type of bike / class / engine are you riding?

5) Are you arriving Friday or Saturday?
If on Friday do you want to practice on the track?
( $20 cost if there are at least 10 riders ) $30 reg price.

6) How many people, spectators or pit crew are coming with you?
$10 each paid at the track gate.

7) Are you racing in 2 classes?
What bike / class types?

=============================

If you are coming as a spectator I would appreciate an email
too so I can plan for the event.

Thanks.

Ebikes get from 100 to 130 so please pick one.

Please email me as per the post above.

100-liveforphysics
101-Etard
102-Jamie P. (not a forum member), electric hubmotor sub-4kw
103-Stevil_Knevil
104-Paul S. (not a forum member), electric hubmotor sub-4kw (if he can finish his build in time)
105-SoSauty
106-Noah (not a forum member) #106 , electric, perm 132, 7kw
107-shinyballs
108-Grifftek
109-PaulD?
110-Trevor D. (not a forum member #110 , electric hubmotor sub-4kw
111-Evoforce
112-
113-ZombieSS
114-
115-
116-Farfle
117-Dan
123-Dennis
130-RWP
140-Thud
164 Jay64

Jamie P. (not a forum member) #102 , electric hubmotor sub-4kw Saturday only
Paul S. (not a forum member) #104 , electric hubmotor sub-4kw (if he can finish his build in time) Saturday only
Noah (not a forum member) #106 , electric, perm 132, 7kw Saturday only
Trevor D. (not a forum member #110 , electric hubmotor sub-4kw (if he can finish his build in time) Saturday only

I can confirm PaulD (we just talked about it today, he is in a frantic scramble with his bike in about 50 pieces with lots of custom work left to do before he can assemble, but we think he will finish in time. Electric, 6kw, Saturday only.

Finished the mechanical side of the race bike today.

ebike1a.jpg

Tonight I'm starting in on the electrical side.
ebike2.jpg

liveforphysics said:
I can confirm PaulD (we just talked about it today, he is in a frantic scramble with his bike in about 50 pieces with lots of custom work left to do before he can assemble, but we think he will finish in time.

Yup, slowly but surely knocking out replacement parts for the bike... more or less the same setup as the death race.
welding.jpg

frame.jpg

lathe.jpg

pulley.jpg

mess.jpg

I just got the new 20" front suspension fork fitted to my bike. Now I just need to finish up the wiring and test my phase wire upgrade on the hub motor to make sure it still works (aka, I didn't muck it up). Maybe beef up the traces on the 12 FET. Just waiting on my 20" wheel build with disc mount yet, got the Avid Juicy 5 earlier this week. This bike isn't even built for racing, just a fun to ride bike.

Luke, I wish I had your fab skills sometimes, but if I did I'd be totally broke. Nice front chain ring, looks about as useful as the arms on a T-Rex LOL

How much power do u think that thing is going to make at the tire set on kill mode?

Ill be bringing a good 10Kw Generator. and just a question, who all has their bike done? :lol:

Only 5 days to go.

Please email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com
to Register for the Saturday Oct 22nd Grange Race.

Please put your Race Number and Forum Name as the
email subject so I know who you are.

Copy and paste the questions below.

1) Forum name.

2) Real name.

3) Race number from Willow Springs if you had one.
( You can pick a number if you don't have one )

4) What type of bike / class / engine are you riding?

5) Are you arriving Friday or Saturday?
If on Friday do you want to practice on the track?
( $20 cost if there are at least 10 riders ) $30 reg price.

6) How many people, spectators or pit crew are coming with you?
$10 each paid at the track gate.

7) Are you racing in 2 classes?
What bike / class types?

=============================

If you are coming as a spectator I would appreciate an email
too so I can plan for the event.

Thanks.

Hey Guys - Hope you all have a great time!

Got an event date conflict (Yosemite) so I can't make it this time...but I will run again next year. You can bet it won't be with an over-rated over-priced ASTROfry motor. (Just relating my personal experience and opinion - I know some of you guys love your A$tro$.)

Next year I am probably going with a full suspension CroMo machine of my own build (or maybe part CroMo and part composite) with normal pedal stuff on the right and the motor drive on the left, and with the motor and batteries all in the triangle. It's my winter project. So it won't be a 'just for go kart track' racing build, but a build which I expect will perform very well on and off the track.

Maybe a couple of Turnigys (out of the box not a great motor but with some good bearings and a rewind it's reliable & powerful)...if we ever see them again (my take is not, but what do I know about this???). Or something like Luke is running (good power but for my take a bit on the heavy side)... I really like the Joby motors (which I understand from JoeBen will continue to be available while other parts of the operation have ended.)

GO ELECTRIC! Have a great, fun and safe time!

Bike in pieces and don't have enough time in life. Need to find a sensored 75 volt controller in time...Throttle too...Battery and BMS completely reworked and ready but still untested. Trailer still not available/borrowed for the trip. Have a sensorless controller I could use, but get a hesitation at startup, maybe throttle? Trying different motor to controller wiring combo's but to no avail so far... Hope a flat doesn't put me out of the race again...

I have a crystalyte 12 fet with 100v caps and fets that i will be bringing as a spare, ill bring both resistors to run it at 75V amd 100V in case you need it mate

Thanks Farfle, I sure appreciate it. Took the racer out for a test and got stranded 15 miles out tonight. I didn't take my trusty V-Power secondary battery with me because I didn't want the addittional weight. Wanted to simulate more race like conditions. Still having battery issues caused by signalab BMS's. Got a different brand now but sorting out bad cells due to overcharging pack with the last faulty signalab. The first signalab failure caused at least six cells to be damaged and the last failure is six cells and counting. Got to dig in and see how many went low voltage to cut out bms. Anyway... Does anyone know if all of these sensorless controllers hesitate at start? Can't seem to make the hesitation go away on mine. Well, I need to get in a few hours of shuteye.

Evo, you only need it to last 10 miles so you are good. :lol: J/k man. If you need a ride from Arizona to Cali, let me know, I'm driving through. I can make room if you need. But I won't be able to bring you home right away. But if you found a ride home, I could drive your bike back home about 3 weeks after the event. I'm heading out today, get ES on my phone so let me know, and I can swing by if you need.

Sure would like to ride with you Jay, but I have to make it to Tucson for the Undead Race the following weekend. Got to try and keep my title if luck is with me. I placed 1st in e-bike class last year. If I didn't have this race looming, I would be happy to stay in Cali for a little R&R. Thanks for the offer! I am sure something will need to be repaired for the following weekend race. Hopefully I can get parts in time. Too bad you can't make it to that race also. Well back to work...

Yes Evo Ed, but you now have SoSauty to contend with, no title repeat for you :p

I too, have a bike frame on its' side with a thick gob of epoxy drying within.

Attachments

• epoxy.png
    epoxy.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 3,001
PaulD ... i secretly have my cash on you to take the win (if ThudSTeR blows up)
so don't let me down young fella! ride like the wiiiiiind! hehe best of luck mate :wink:

Turnigy 80-100 H.O.B.O FTMFW :mrgreen:

KiM

Back