• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Sokey smell from motor at higher current? Crystalyte Crown

ronbrown629

10 mW
I have a 96V/120 Volt TC air cooled Revolution X Motor at 6000W (Thunderbolt High speed winding). I'm running it at 100 volts
It's paired with a lyen speed controller. 15 fet.

The original battery current setting was 30 amps and the original phase current was 80 amps. This was programmed on the controller.
I was getting about 40 mph on the bike and the bike is capable of 60 and it has the speed winding.
I changed the settings to battery current= 50 amps and phase current=100 amps

I tried a no load test and almost immediately there was a burning smell coming from the motor.
This is the first time i have had it on this high setting and before the motor just got fairly hot after a long ride depending on the hills.

I don't have a heat sensor. I also had to change the hall phase combos after the setting was made and I don't know why. I'm worried I have the wrong hall phase combination.
I don't have a ampmeter to see if there's ridiculous or unreasonable high current going to the motor at no load.

I have gone through this chart http://www.lyen.com/Manual/Sensored_Combination_Worksheet_V2.htm and I stopped at the 2 nd block and last row
Hall Phase (from controller) Hall Phase (from motor)
Y G B Y G B Y B G B G Y

I stopped at this configuration because it was super smooth at 48 volts and the low current setting. Then I commenced to experiment at the high current setting. I programmed everything from my computer and boom smokey smell at immediate no load throttle. I'm afraid to run the motor again at this setting from damage.

I'm positive the hall/phase combos are correct but I'm not sure what effect they're having on the higher current setting. Also how to space out them out? 50 amp 120 phase?
50 amp 100 phase? 50 amp 80 phase? How do you space the battery current and phase current out? Is the general rule to multiply by 2.

Why did you have to change the connections in the first place? That's not clear, it sounds like you did more than just reprogram the power levels on the controller.

This could be a good question for the person who sold you the controller if they know how to program it.

Ok let me be clear. The goal was to go 60 mph. and after this was accompplished I was going to lower the speed.

The first thing i did was change the power settings on the controller. Next I tested it out on the motor and it didn't move. Now before this it did move but now not at all.

So then i commenced to switching the hall phase combos and I found a good setting.

For a second time I did a final test at higher power levels and that's when the smokey smell began. The motor ran smooth but smelly smokey smell came.
I hope that's clear.

Sounds like you still have a wrong phase/hall combo; you should find the one that has the lowest no-load current and runs it in the direction you want.

Alternately there could be smoked fets in teh controller, shorted, so that current is not being limited thru the motor.

Ok guys this must have been a false alarm because I was just out riding it for about an hour and no heating issues and no bad smell at 100 volts and high current. I wonder what it was?

Back