Speed shown on display only if the motor wheel moves backwards

edo2909

1 mW
I have fiido d4s and installed JN controller and s866 display. When using s866 with the stock fiido controller the speed is correctly shown while coasting (motor not engaged). Settings p7=1.
But, when using s866 (JN) with JN controller (DC MOTO controller) everything works fine except the speed is not shown when coasting (motor not engaged). If the motor wheel moves backwards it is shown! Speed is displayed when using throttle or pas.
Fiido motor has built in speed magnet and JN controller’s hall connector has the white (speed reading) wire. There is no self-learning wire, though.
How to fix it? Btw, kt controller on the same bike reads speed correctly.

Sounds like the motor hall sensor wiring is different , try switching the wires. Color of wire is often not the same from controller to controller or motor to motor.

I have fiido d4s and installed JN controller and s866 display. When using s866 with the stock fiido controller the speed is correctly shown while coasting (motor not engaged). Settings p7=1.
But, when using s866 (JN) with JN controller (DC MOTO controller) everything works fine except the speed is not shown when coasting (motor not engaged). If the motor wheel moves backwards it is shown! Speed is displayed when using throttle or pas.
Fiido motor has built in speed magnet and JN controller’s hall connector has the white (speed reading) wire. There is no self-learning wire, though.
How to fix it? Btw, kt controller on the same bike reads speed correctly.

Sounds like the JN controller only reads the motor hall sensor for speed, not the white wire (separate speed sensor). If there is a setting for this in the menus you can see if any of them force it to read the speed sensor, otherwise there isn't a fix without changing the motor for a non-freewheeling hubmotor (either a locked-clutch geared hubmotor, or a DD hubmotor), and that's a lot of money and work for a speed reading and may cause you other problems in the process. ;)

Note that a white wire doesn't necessarily indicate any specific thing on the controller's connector--the "extra" wire on some of them is for a temperature sensor rather than speed sensor, for instance.

Guys, thanks for the answers. It’s not a big deal, i’ll continue using it this way.
Btw, the stock fiido controller 15a (first from the right) on d4s pro is actually great, but the stock display has only few functions. So i installed s866 display and it added few more basic functions. Since it s866 is JN produced i wanted to checkJN controller 17a and found it, except of this problem, pretty good. What i value most, it is exceptionaly silent, even at start and low speed. It provides excellent torque and speed and pas control is great. Pas 1=8kmh, 2=15kmh, 3=20, 4=25 and 5= max(30+). For me it feels even better than “torque imitation” of KT 20a, which i also tried. It is as powerful as KT 20a but much less noisy.

Attachments

• IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Sounds like the JN controller only reads the motor hall sensor for speed, not the white wire (separate speed sensor). If there is a setting for this in the menus you can see if any of them force it to read the speed sensor, otherwise there isn't a fix without changing the motor for a non-freewheeling hubmotor (either a locked-clutch geared hubmotor, or a DD hubmotor), and that's a lot of money and work for a speed reading and may cause you other problems in the process. ;)

Note that a white wire doesn't necessarily indicate any specific thing on the controller's connector--the "extra" wire on some of them is for a temperature sensor rather than speed sensor, for instance.
Facts that i have established by now: there is a speed sensor in motor and it works.
There is no other specific settings in s866 menu that relates to speed sensor, besides p7. And this s866 settings correctly read speed sensor when connected with stock controller.
Hall sensor wires position&colors are identical for all 3 controllers in the photo.
There could be only 2 things: either JN connector’s white wire is not terminated in the controller or it doesn’t, for some reason, gets voltage, which i cannot check at the moment (no multimeter at hand).
Any thoughts?

Guys, thanks for the answers. It’s not a big deal, i’ll continue using it this way.
Btw, the stock fiido controller 15a (first from the right) on d4s pro is actually great, but the stock display has only few functions. So i installed s866 display and it added few more basic functions. Since it s866 is JN produced i wanted to checkJN controller 17a and found it, except of this problem, pretty good. What i value most, it is exceptionaly silent, even at start and low speed. It provides excellent torque and speed and pas control is great. Pas 1=8kmh, 2=15kmh, 3=20, 4=25 and 5= max(30+). For me it feels even better than “torque imitation” of KT 20a, which i also tried. It is as powerful as KT 20a but much less noisy.
I have exactly the same DC 36v/48v 17a controller the same one you have in the picture,can you please tell or post a picture of the PAS. Connector and what colour wires go where.

Is it yellow and black and brown or brown yellow black in which order did you getFirst yo
Is it yellow and black and brown or brown yellow black in which order did you get
Brown is +, black is - and yellow is signal. So brown goes to red, black to black and yellow to blue. Provided that you already replaced SM connector on DC Moto controller from male to female.

Hi thanks for the speedy reply so let me get this right the PAS. That's coming from the bike has 3 wires red black and blue I enclosed photo is this correct connection

Attachments

• IMG_20240124_180842.jpg
    IMG_20240124_180842.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Why I'm asking is when I had my old controller connected when I walked with the bike the display shows speed ,but with this new controller it does not,I have to pedal before it shows speed is that normal.

Why I'm asking is when I had my old controller connected when I walked with the bike the display shows speed ,but with this new controller it does not,I have to pedal before it shows speed is that normal.
Seem so. I cannot figure it out either. I got all 3 s866 types and cannot get the speed shown in freewheel ride.
i bought some cheap speedometer and shall install it when winter is over.

That probably means the controller is reading speed from the motor halls; if the motor is not a direct drive hubmotor in the wheel then those halls won't be sending any signals because they don't generate any unless the motor itself is spinning, and any system with a freewheel of any sort between the wheel and the motor will not spin the motor unless it's powered by the system.

If you have a separate speed sensor on the wheel, then the controller probably has to be configured to read the speed from it instead of the halls. That's normally done somewhere in the display setup menus...but there have been systems that don't give the user a choice.

As I said im my first post my Fiido d4s hub motor does have a speed sensor and original Fiido controller/display correctly shows it in freewheel. The same with KT controller/display combo.
I couldn’t get speed with JN (DC Moto) controller 17a although it has the (fifth) white wire on tha hall connector, which should, supposedly, read the speed from the hub motor. It doesn’t. Not only for me, but many other people.
What I could try is to use seperate speed sensor on the wheel connecting it with JN controller. One wire to white hall connector wire and other to some 5V wire.

As I said im my first post my Fiido d4s hub motor does have a speed sensor and original Fiido controller/display correctly shows it in freewheel. The same with KT controller/display combo.
I couldn’t get speed with JN (DC Moto) controller 17a although it has the (fifth) white wire on tha hall connector, which should, supposedly, read the speed from the hub motor. It doesn’t. Not only for me, but many other people.
What I could try is to use seperate speed sensor on the wheel connecting it with JN controller. One wire to white hall connector wire and other to some 5V wire.
If the display shows speed under throttle/PAS, then disconnect the white wire and see if the speed still displays. If it does, it’s not using the white wire, but using one of the hall signals to determine speed. The white wire on the hall harness can be speed OR temp sensing.

BTW your subject line is misleading since you state in the post that speed displays under throttle and PAS.

Last edited:
Came to same conclusion since speed is displayed under throttle/PAS with white wire disconnected. But i doubt this cheap controller would read temp Instead of speed. No sense. Maybe white wire is just not terminated in the controller. Maybe it’s there just to be comptible with most used 5-pin hall connectors?

If the display shows speed under throttle/PAS, then disconnect the white wire and see if the speed still displays. If it does, it’s not using the white wire, but using one of the hall signals to determine speed. The white wire on the hall harness can be speed OR temp sensing.

BTW your subject line is misleading since you state in the post that speed displays under throttle and PAS.
Probably. I meant about speed displayed while freewheeling. Doesn’t show when moving forward but only backward coz clutch is engaged then.

Yes changed that of course but I find that my bike is really touchy it's not smooth transition from PAS 1-5 on 3 it's 28km same as 4 and 5 and 1-2 is around 18km was wondering have got the phase wires mixed,as I have them now I have in order yellow to yellow and blue to blue green to green I've read maybe if your motor is really strong maybe the combination is wrong.

Yes changed that of course but I find that my bike is really touchy it's not smooth transition from PAS 1-5 on 3 it's 28km same as 4 and 5 and 1-2 is around 18km was wondering have got the phase wires mixed,as I have them now I have in order yellow to yellow and blue to blue green to green I've read maybe if your motor is really strong maybe the combination is wrong.
Phases colors should match the each other. Still you can try different combinations, no harm.
For me, PAS 1 = 8 km/h, 2 - 14, 3 - 18, 4 - 24, 5 = 28+. Very smooth and silent. Much better experience than notorious KT controller 20a.

Back