Stongest tandem ebike wheel build help

RageNR said:
The general consensus of the DX32s is they are nearly indestructible.

I don’t know the general Consensus, but I would have been glad to ship him all of those that I have replaced. :mrgreen:

Don’t misunderstand the following, for I like this rim and always have some in my garage.

The DX32 is a common cheap BMX rim, a disciplin that bends a lot of them. It’s been used a lot in trial too, because it is a fair and cheap temporary replacement that is locally available, until we receive the pro rim that we had ordered. Pro trial rims are normally 44 to 47mm bead width, and much stronger than a DX32. At the very least they are welded and thicker (~1200g for a rear rim), the very best are forged single wall and CNC finished, or carbon lately. Yet they are not nearly indestructible, they break once in a while, because trial does require the grip of low PSI, and hitting square is business as usual.

The DX32 is a good upgrade from average MTB bicycle rims when you need stronger and wider, but for those disciplines where we need the strongest rims, it is low entry level.

MadRhino said:
The DX32 is a good upgrade from average MTB bicycle rims when you need stronger and wider, but for those disciplines where we need the strongest rims, it is low entry level.
... :cry:

Well, that sucks. I was under the impression the DX32 was much better than that. The only issue I was aware of was the potential weakness in the split and pinned seam.
iirc, I only found 2 or 3 posts anywhere on the net where they had either bent or cracked. (1 cracked rim, and 2 minor dents), so I was under the impression that they were much tougher. I asked a few people on other forums and was told they were a high end downhill rim, but most DH riders moved on to newer rims that were lighter.

Several of the hub motor wheel builders use the DX32. Actually, I had email em3ev about buying a pair, was told that's the strongest rim they offered, and their most popular rim. Not doubting what you are saying Rhino, but they seem to be accepted as strong rims by the hub motor builders.

I will be highly annoyed if these rims do not perform as I am expecting. The point was to be 100% confident in my built wheels, so I would not be worried about them failing at high speeds. Moto wheels were just too heavy, and I wanted my rig to remain as close to a MTB bike as possible.

Don't know how I should feel about it now...

Don’t worry. The DX32 does make a good ebike wheel. For off road, most motor sellers would offer the MTX39 as their strongest rim. Pro trial rims are far out of their market. A 100$ Chris Holm rim is too much for them already. Try telling them you’d like a rim that’s 4 times the cost of their motor...

It’s never been used in elite level DH racing, but freeriders and shore amateurs like it for its width. I like it, and still use it occasionally. The rims that I usually ride (Sun Double Track for dirt, 67mm single wall chopper rims for street) are not always readily available.

The DX32 is always at hand, and does the job better than the usual MTB rims that are stock in the local shops. Like I said, the best wheel is the one that is maintained true and tight without compromises. That is much more important than rim strength. The strongest rims are for those who are abusing their wheels with low PSI and ride over the worst terrain. They are expansive, heavy, and hard to find. I did ride expansive pro rims, but found that I still can break them sometimes, and the inconvenience of finding a replacement, along with their cost plus shipping and custom fees, is too much of a turn off.

A friend is running the DX32 24" on his high power bike with Hookworm 2,5" tires. In the rear a heavy (9kg) hub motor is laced, but with properly spoke angle and tension.
btw: Spokes are Sapim 13GA on the rear and on the front there are 14-15-14GA butted DT swiss spokes. The rim has eylets which should help a lot to prevent the nipples to get pulled through the rim.

So far, and after 2000km the wheels are holding up great. One time he forgot to remove the bicylce chainlock on the front wheel and one spoke got pulled out from the nipple when he was shoving the bike, but no damage to the rim..

Yes there are better rims as the DX32, but don't worry it is still a good rim (at least the one that comes with eylets!) :wink:

madin88 said:
A friend is running the DX32 24" on his high power bike with Hookworm 2,5" tires..,

DX32 and Hookworm had been a popular combo. Now we ride heavier motors, so the favor goes to heavier rims. I drill off the eyelets and lace with nipple washers. My street bikes are on wider/thicker rims, with Street Hog or Beach Bum tires for the summer. But, I still keep some DX32, Hookworms and Berm Masters on the shelves. The like, I might go to carbon rims for dirt, but I will not abandon keeping some of my favorite DH combos in stock.

MadRhino do you have a link to the Pro Trial rim you mentiond?
Sounds great, but with 1,2kg it is already very close to a 19"x1,4" moped rim.. hmm but you still can safe a lot or weight when using bicycle tires :)

madin88 said:
MadRhino do you have a link to the Pro Trial rim you mentiond?
Sounds great, but with 1,2kg it is already very close to a 19"x1,4" moped rim.. hmm but you still can safe a lot or weight when using bicycle tires :)
Well, it’s been a while since I have bought trial wheels. I am too old for back breaking sports.
Many high end trial rims are not sold alone, complete wheels only. Or, they are OEM and available only at dealers of the bike brand. Tough rims are not all so expansive. Chris Holm and Nimbus are readily available at a reasonable price. Echo might be easy to find in EU. Check specialty websites, where you will find the most common trial rims for sale. By the way, some of those rear trial rims are better than moped rims, much better. The high end market is turning to carbon right now, with many small manufacturers of specialty rims/wheels. We don’t know yet, those who will emerge and take the lead. But, their thick and wide carbon rims are incredibly resistant. Wanna buy a custom 3000$ wheel set to try? :wink:

What is the reasoning for drilling out the eyelets and using washers? Is it because the washers can rotate, whereas the eyelets are under strain from the twisting forces of tightened spokes?

Yeah, the hookworms have been one of the highest recommended tires for this setup. Also the Cyclops tires, which is what I will be using.

Edit: For $3000, that wheelset better drive and wash itself. LoL

Back