Stuck in troubleshooting on dead BBSHD..... - please help

Hello gents...

Im stuck in trouble shooting with a dead BBSHD and I could need some help here....

The motor just stopped working one day and since then i´ve done the following:

Replaced the controller - no result

Replace the motor - no result

I have tried to trouble shooting a bit and what I have done is the following:

- Battery power while everything is connected: 52.7v
- voltage between Black(ground) & blue(speed signal) wire and that varies between 0.8 & 4.2v while activating the throttle.
- voltage between Black (ground) & red (5v power) wire and that is 5

I´ve tried connecting the stuck wiring harness with display and a custom harness that i made myself, to ditch the display as a throttle only solution and no changes is seen.

I´ve sacrified the custom wiring harness to be able to check the above voltages while having everything connected - please see the photo.

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qC6HoXhPdtSmorXrap4-fsJHffT3Gvc1

I have attached a copy of the parameter file for reference: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MyAB-nWpXwxpDvM9jCg61L4W7hbkiZiN

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MyAB-nWpXwxpDvM9jCg61L4W7hbkiZiN

Where to go from here ?

Looking forward to get some tips from you - thanks for your assistance in advance !

All the best - Michael.

First - The motor just stopped working. OK, what happened out of the ordinary right before this? Rain? Heat? Cold? Crash? Fat person rode it? Parts added, parts removed? Did you fart with an exceptionally bad smell? Maybe smelled something like burning electrical insulation?

You have a display and some indicator lights. Any signs of electrical life here? error messages, flash patterns, all dead and no power, DETAILS.

You have replaced motor and controller, battery shows correct voltage. Now, it is always possible it WAS motor or controller and the replacement was also bad. Were these replaced by vendor under warranty, and who was that vendor? Yes, it matters. Warranty replacement parts are often not brand new.

The number one most common culprit for sudden, unexplained, near-total failure is, by a wide margin, a faulty connection SOMEWHERE in the wiring. Check all connections and all wires for continuity, front-to-back, pause, back-to-front, strong lighting, magnifying glass, assistant all helpful.

If there is a component that you have thought "that can't possibly be it", check that one especially carefully.

If there is a component not critically needed to make the motor spin, disconnect and remove it. Lights, horns, signals, e-brakes, etc.

Hi Bob.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes - the display is alive. I can change mode as usually and switch it on and off.

I never had e-brakes connected

I have tried using a different throttle

I have tried pedalling as well as giving throttle to get the motor spinning

I have tried connecting a stock wiring harness including display

I have tried connecting a custom very basic harness, where I have shorted the orange and the brown wires and just connected a throttle to red, blue and black

When I measure with this harness connected, I get a throttle signal as expected - but no life in the motor

Voltage on battery remains when testing and does not cut out

I don’t have a speed sensor connected and never had. Is that needed to get it spinning ?

Parameters are set according to Carl’s settings - reference is made to the parameter set, linked to in this post.

I didn’t get any pre warning with strange smells of burned electronics of any sense.

It simply stopped working - from one day to another.

Looking forward to get some tips - thanks in advance

Michael

Hmm... that's a real head scratcher. If you replaced the controller and have good throttle signal and battery voltage and no errors on the display, there aren't many things left. The speed sensor is not needed to get the motor spinning but may cause it to stop after 10 seconds or so if there is no signal. PAS sensor could be bad, but throttle should still work. You can disconnect the PAS sensor from the controller to be sure. Brake lines are disconnected so that should not be an issue. If the brake line was shorted in the cable, you should see the brake symbol flash once on the display. Looks sort of like (0). Pretty much any other fault will give an error code on the display.

Maybe this wouldn't matter, but just to isolate the components, is there a way to check the phase voltages when you apply throttle, just to determine that the problem is upstream of the motor?

(even though the controller and motor are new, you never know)

For how long did it work? Was this with the stock, unmodified wiring, or the customized wiring?
Now, if it worked for 3 weeks with no issues before the problem, by all means share that information, but if it worked for 20 minutes out of the box and then crapped out the first time you parked it, and you have failed to mention it, well, you will gain a fuller understanding of my user name.

Describe that last ride, in some detail, and also the time interval and storage conditions between that ride, and when you got on and nothing happened. SOMETHING happened during this time, it may not be anything you could possibly be aware of, but also, it might be some simple thing that did not seem at all significant at the time. Did you charge the battery afterward? Carpet spark? Old girlfriend visited while new girlfriend was there? Adult beverages involved?

Are there any differences in functionality between the stock wiring and the customized? Anything?

I have not checked the linked parameters, but if they are custom, I would set them back to factory default, and leave them that way until some function is restored. Same with the wiring harness. Get as much as possible back to bone stock, unmodified, as it was straight from the factory.

If still under warranty, un-doing any non-factory-standard settings before attempting to get replacement parts is a good idea.

Have you done any continuity testing on the wiring, to the motor especially but throughout the entire system?

Back