Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

My initial thoughts about the Sur-Ron.

The bike looks amazing and I was also able to get my favorite color in orange. The orange black color combo looks top notch :bigthumb: . It looks and feels like I just bought a new scooter from Honda or whoever.

My first impression riding it was that it was very underwhelming in power. I don't know why anyone said you can wheelie this bike because I can't even lift the front wheel off the ground by giving it full throttle. The best way to put it is my hub motor bike just blows it out of the water with power and speed. I am pushing 8KW peak on my hub bike, and maybe that is the reason why, but my Qulbix Q76R just accelerates from 0 - 55MPH in seconds, you really feel it pull you the whole time until it just stops at 55MPH. I can easily lift the front wheel all the way up by giving the bike full throttle without pulling up on the handlebars. I have tuned my Max-E controller with a very high OVS and very high PWR setting, and these aggressive settings make the bike accelerate super fast.

The Sur-Ron lacks power and you can't lift the wheel off the ground, you surely can't lift it off the ground at any speed. Top speed isn't great, it gets to 35 MPH kind of slowly, then it very slowly climbs to maybe 40-45 MPH. There is no power to lift the front wheel, so when I normally go do a jump off something I full throttle to get the front tire lifted before I get in the air, you can't do this with the Sur-Ron. Big disappointment.

However, that being said I notice that my 2nd ride today I'm starting to get used to the low power and it isn't as annoying, I guess your body adopts to the power level and you forget what you used to ride. However, I won't be able to do wheelies, and will miss out on that "thrown to the backseat" acceleration my Q76R hub bike has.

The other thing is the Sur-Ron does pull better and very low speeds (under 5mph) on hills. You can climb anything with just 1/10th or very little throttle, where on my hub bike I usually need to full throttle it on very steep hills to get the bike moving. So the Sur-Ron does have a slight advantage at very low speeds.

I find the suspension quite good and plush, even with a heavy 450 LBS spring. The rear suspension is much smoother than a hub motor suspension. I was hoping over a large fallen tree and it used to jolt me and hurt when the back tire hit, now it just goes over it smoothly when it hits the rear. :thumb:

The brakes are very good and very smooth, really no reason to upgrade them.

slow speed handling seems very good and I was actually surprised that when doing circles around a car, I was able to do it much tighter and easier than with my Q76R bike.

I totally miss having control of regen. On my hub bike I used regen to stop 95% of the time, on the Sur-Ron I have to use the hand brakes all the time. This means that brake pads will need changing very often.

I can't really fully test a lot of things yet because of the twist throttle. I just don't feel I have good control with it and even when I tried doing jumps I accidentally gave it full throttle on landing once. Another time I must have had my wrist in an awkward angle and had a little pain when landing the jump. The Sur-Ron is also so under powered that I need to pull up hard on the bars when going over many things and the twist throttle makes it difficult.

The thumb throttle allows me to keep my hand in optimal position covering the breaks and giving throttle, while keeping a firm grip on the handlebar at all times. It allows me to very fine tune the throttle in many situations. The twist throttle makes you keep changing wrist angle, makes it difficult to stand up and give throttle. I feel the twist throttle will never give you great control.

Can you say that its because I'm not used to a twist throttle?, I just don't think that is the reason. Try standing on your bike and give full throttle while applying braking at the same time. I can easily do this with a thumb throttle, and I can go from sitting to standing without moving my wrist or my position on the handlebar. Basically the thumb throttle is for precision control and you can't beat it :thumb: .

To sum it up this bike will be outstanding once I replace the thumb throttle and get more power and regen control.

XWkpVsF.jpg

YQJj15J.jpg

aspencreek said:
fechter said:
Nice!

I bet it won't stay that clean for very long.
You'll probably need to crank up the spring on the rear shock as they compress it for shipping.

Any other suggestions for setting up the bike? Did you guys grease up axles? Just unboxed mine and getting it ready to ride.

One suggestion which I didn't know and maybe this is common knowledge here. When I first used my bike it was speed limited to 40 KPH and had very low power no matter if I put it on Eco or SPort. I thought my controller or switch was bad, kind of bummed as it seemed the sport mode didn't work.

I found out through searching that there are two Green black wires inside the wire harness of the 6 prong connector to the battery. You can look inside the black insulation and you will see them cut. I had to pull both wires out an inch with pliers, strip the wires, and solder them together.

You may know this but I certainly never heard it as I didn't read the very early posts on this thread and maybe it is common knowledge.

grease anything? Surely you don't have to do that. I noticed a big mess on my bike where they must have lubed the chain. It is a really sticky mess that is hard to clean off. I assume it is chain lube because it went everywhere on the chain side.

3DTOPO said:
Offroader said:
I wanted to ask you, do you think it would be highly likely I can put an ebike thumb throttle on the bike? Do you think the controller takes the normal hall throttle voltages?

How easy would it be to figure out the wiring, would a voltage meter be enough?

Congrats! First impressions?

The throttle is a standard motorbike using a co-axial cable. I guess it ultimately goes to a hall sensor, but not sure if you are aware the stock throttle is a cable.

Thanks, yes I was actually working on my post when you wrote this.

yes, I heard that was the case so I'm wondering if the hall sensor where the cable connects will output the same voltage that my ebike thumb throttles will.

I also want to make sure I don't short anything out by connecting the wires incorrectly, if that is even possible?

BTW. how do you ride in the winter without having your fingers freeze? Gloves don't seem to help for long.

aspencreek said:
fechter said:
Nice!

I bet it won't stay that clean for very long.
You'll probably need to crank up the spring on the rear shock as they compress it for shipping.

Any other suggestions for setting up the bike? Did you guys grease up axles? Just unboxed mine and getting it ready to ride.

Yeah, they recommend some grease on the front axle at least.

Besides the X-Controler, I think the single best upgrade was new tires. I got a set of these M403's:

https://amzn.to/2QL0j42

I converted them to tubeless too - very happy I did - no more snapped stems.

Note that if get those tires you will want to cut off the tire-sprues (rubber hairs) or they will cut into the fork. I also had to add a couple washers to space the peg mount with the kickstand out to keep it from rubbing on them.

Offroader said:
BTW. how do you ride in the winter without having your fingers freeze? Gloves don't seem to help for long.

I wear nice ski/snowboarding mitts. They do a pretty good job.

Grantmac said:
Snowmobiles and some ATVs use a cable thumb throttle which you may be able to swap in to activate the stock cable.
Just FYI.

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at how those throttles are at a local ATV shop.

Need your advice on an issue with my bike.

I noticed my battery display didn't line up with the cover closed, but I didn't really look at it closely until tonight.

What I notice is that my battery moves from left to right as you can see in the video. Even with the cover closed it still has lots of play in it. From what I can see the battery does not make contact with the plastic spacers/inserts on the sides.

Can you tell me if your bike does the same thing or is it held firmly inside your bike.

look forward to your opinions about this.

Thanks,

[youtube]aarSEc5063w[/youtube]

You can see in this video better the battery doesn't make contact with the side inserts of the frame.

[youtube]f-FxEdc0aZA[/youtube]

Here are some pics of the inside of the battery compartment.

7RGZCl9.jpg

0nbQDhp.jpg

haLZ4TV.jpg

LP0FxD7.jpg

Offroader said:
Can you tell me if your bike does the same thing or is it held firmly inside your bike.

With the lid open, I have about 1/8" wiggle room. Nothing like you show. I've never had the display outside the lid portal.

3DTOPO said:
Offroader said:

With the lid open, I have about 1/8" wiggle room. Nothing like you show. I've never had the display outside the lid portal.

I just checked mine after watching your video and it doesn't move that much. Lid closed it moves 2mm.

Mine is really tight. It's hard to pull the battery out. The sides of the pack are supposed to sit against the black plastic pieces on the frame. I'd guess your frame is a little wider than normal. Maybe you could loosen the black plastic piece on the left that holds the wires and put some kind of spacer behind it. Might need longer screws.

MinoRoad said:
Qulbix Q76R looks much better than Sur-Ron :D :D

Looks like it costs nearly twice as much as a Sur-Ron (177%), has a smaller capacity battery, and a hub motor. Not to mention the Sur-Ron's forged frame looks infinitely more professional.

No thanks.

Everything is stock except controller which is a ASI.

Battery trips at over 85A. Battery limited to 4200W. Needs a ;arger rear sprocket badly.

[youtube]i_C2EubY3fc[/youtube]

[youtube]u5qtt88XONw[/youtube]

3DTOPO said:
MinoRoad said:

Looks like it costs nearly twice as much as a Sur-Ron (177%), has a smaller capacity battery, and a hub motor. Not to mention the Sur-Ron's forged frame looks infinitely more professional.

I doubt that. It was self built. Quilbix frames are excellent quality too. There is a lot to be said for a silent hub setup. Loads more power than Sur-ron. Perhaps offroader can chime in.

OK, what the heck is up with this now, there is no regen on the bike at all? Sorry guys, I know it seems like I'm bashing this bike pretty hard but these are pretty big deals.

Do you guys get any regen on your non x version bikes?

I hooked up my fluke amp meter and tested the bike on both Eco and Sport. Absolutely no regen as seen by the MIN setting. I know this MIN setting should read negative amps because I use this to test the regen on my hybrid car all the time.

Can someone please explain why I am not getting any regen. Battery was at 93%.

Below the MIN will show regen amps as a negive value, like if regen was 20 amps, it would show as -20 in MIN.

Here is sport mode, 78 amps max discharge, MIN is negitve is -.8 for no regen

UeoyULQ.jpg

JEJxxzw.jpg

Here is ECO mode 48 amps max discharge, -.4 amps MIN which means no regen amps.
fniBAjo.jpg

aEVOdFI.jpg

Ub9oDsp.jpg

I’m running regen braking but with a ASI controller. The stock battery won’t allow much current back, or the bms will trip.

evolutiongts said:
I’m running regen braking but with a ASI controller. The stock battery won’t allow much current back, or the bms will trip.

also, the X model bikes (and later batch X controllers) from Luna do not have regen.. Eric, warned (the fb group) they wouldn't have regen and removed reference to regen from the sales ad.. this is likely due to reliability issues of the initial X controllers.. however, I wonder if they are still getting regen X bikes in Australia or European, or all the same now without regen?? Allex and Adam any comment on that ???

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
evolutiongts said:

also, the X model bikes (and later batch X controllers) from Luna do not have regen.. Eric, warned (the fb group) they wouldn't have regen and removed reference to regen from the sales ad.. this is likely due to reliability issues of the initial X controllers.

That's really a shame. If I had to name the single best feature of my X controller it would be the motor-braking. Since the model names are the same, I think it would have been much fairer to provide a warning that the feature has been removed instead of silently removing the feature. That might not make for great marketing, but would be the right thing to do.

As for reliability; I haven't had any issues so far after about 500 miles on the X controller.

I am really surprised no one has stepped up to the plate and offering a controller for it. Luna was promising they were going to soon offer a range of upgrades including a customized controller - a year ago!

brumbrum said:
3DTOPO said:
MinoRoad said:

I doubt that. It was self built. Quilbix frames are excellent quality too. There is a lot to be said for a silent hub setup. Loads more power than Sur-ron. Perhaps offroader can chime in.

They might be good quality - but they look like homemade bicycle frames. The Sur Ron looks like a professional motorcycle frame that will last forever. The OP said the Quilbix looks better than the Sur Ron and it's my opinion that it doesn't.

Of course, there are pros and cons between a mid-motor and hubbies - but I would take the low-speed torque advantage of the mid-motor over silence any day.

I also don't really need any more power - it would just drain the battery even faster and the Quilbix has a smaller battery. If offered a choice, I would take longer range over more power on the Sur Ron.

And on top of all that, I literally paid half of what the Quilbix cost. I just don't have any buyers remorse and shows what a solid value the Sur Ron delivers.

Someone could offer a better controller but the battery’s BMS still limits you to 85A before it trips. 4000W is the limit, unless you upgrade the battery as well to allow more voltage / amperage.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
evolutiongts said:

also, the X model bikes (and later batch X controllers) from Luna do not have regen.. Eric, warned (the fb group) they wouldn't have regen and removed reference to regen from the sales ad.. this is likely due to reliability issues of the initial X controllers.. however, I wonder if they are still getting regen X bikes in Australia or European, or all the same now without regen?? Allex and Adam any comment on that ???

What I know x-controllers are/could be buggy. Our x-controllers came with regen but this may or may not work on all of them due to reliability issues. Personally, regen is pointless unless you can actually control it with a button, because sometimes you just want to cruise - using the kinetic energy and sometimes you want to brake. Our experimental FOC controllers that we got a year ago, did not come with regen and I am totally fine with that.

Allex said:
What I know x-controllers are/could be buggy. Our x-controllers came with regen but this may or may not work on all of them due to reliability issues. Personally, regen is pointless unless you can actually control it with a button, because sometimes you just want to cruise - using the kinetic energy and sometimes you want to brake. Our experimental FOC controllers that we got a year ago, did not come with regen and I am totally fine with that.

I could not disagree about it being useless more. I've never switched it off (with EP mode) even once. Generally, if I am not accelerating I am wanting to slow down as soon as possible. When I do want to coast, I just give it a burst of power to build up momentum to the desired coasting speed, or on less steep slopes I can give it an infinitesimal amount of throttle and the regen is disabled. And I mean infinitesimal - not even enough power to move the bike if it was standing still (something you can't do on the square controller by the way).

I live in the steep mountains. The regen braking was a total game changer for the bike. I can ride down mountain vastly more confidently than I did before. I have at least double the braking power now (because the pads stay cool until I actually need them combined with the motor-breaking). Before I had the X Controller, my brakes would routinely overheat and become fused. Now I hardly even use them. A bonus is I can get home on 0% charge now too. Win/win/win situation.

I don't know what's up with the bugs since my controller has been flawless. It must be a production issue - some have flaws while others don't?

WOW, just amazing. This thing is an incredible machine.

Took my Sur Ron out for another ride today and since I'm getting used to the twist throttle (2nd day using it) I decided to try these really steep stairs. I'm am starting to get much better control with the twist so maybe I'll stick with it a little while longer.

In the past I have only been able to do one flight of these with my hub motor bike and it was very difficult and I needed to start with a lot of speed. My hub bike always struggled to climb the stairs if moving to slow and if I went to fast it was really hard on the rear wheel. The real wheel also never stayed to the stairs and seemed to be bouncing around the whole way up.

I always dreamed of climbing more then one flight of those stairs, but I knew it wasn't so possible with a hub bike and wasn't worth the abuse to the bike to keep trying.

With just one practice try on the Sur Ron doing only 1 flight of stairs. I decided to set up my cell phone and record another try. I only intended to climb 1 flight but did both flights easily. You can see me turning into the 2nd flight and climbing the 2nd flight at low speed and at an angle.

The Sur Ron suspension and gearing is just amazing and it climbs the stairs at very low speed with ease. The rear suspension keeps the rear wheel glued to the steps the whole way up. There are actually around 6 flights of these stairs in a row and I always dreamed of climbing all 6 without stopping. I think I will be able to do it next time I try.

The other great thing is the motor doesn't even get hot when climbing stairs.

[youtube]-Ow7pu8MmMM[/youtube]

brumbrum said:

My Qulbix was ordered with just the frame and I built everything else. My Qulbix does have a much larger pack at 3.3KWH or 280 cells vs the Sur Ron of 176 cell or 1.9 KWH.

That being said the more I use the Sur-Ron the more I like it. When first using the Sur-Ron you can easily feel the power loss as my Qulbix and Max-E is set to about 8KW. The Sur-Ron is only putting out 4.6KW peak. That 3.5KW is a big loss of power and top speed. However, I got used to the lower power of the Sur Ron and forgot how much power my Qulbix has and it is actually fine power wise.

However, that being said. The Sur-Ron is much stronger at low speeds and low speed climbing because of the gearing. This means I can climb just about anything and not overheat.

Right now I'm liking the Sur-Ron because of the biggest thing I hated about my hub bike is the rear suspension because of the heavy hub motor. The Sur-Ron has much better suspension and handles much better off-road. I can climb stairs with ease, and hit just about anything with ease and not get thrown around.

The advantage of my Qulbix is the range, but I never really needed all that range and only probably used it like 2 times doing really far trips in the 2 years I owned the bike.

While I would prefer the Sur Ron to be silent it isn't a big deal, although many people probably think its a gas powered when I drive by.

To sum it up I like the Sur Ron because of the suspension and the mid-drive low end power.

Plus the Sur Ron just looks amazing,

oULyONw.jpg

Back