Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

RemoteRoad said:
To you distributors, have you sensed Sur-Ron has some deep pockets behind it?

From my dealings with the export manager i sense they are very keen to sell their products and also interested in feedback. They are genuinely interested in knowing what the customers want. They are also dictated by their investors.
It is difficult to communicate clearly and whilst they do not keep me updated, i found that sometimes you get lucky by asking the right questions.

I can confirm that the first batch of bikes we received early December chassis numbers were 210-220, the latest batch arrived last week is up over 1200 so they are building bikes a lot quicker now.
They are doing small upgrades and increasing the range of options, often without telling anyone!

I have just found out that the recent bikes i have received are version 3 of the Light Bee.
They have a revised headlamp. They have a revised headset. They have the same motor as version 2, but have some secret mods done to the motor and a revised wiring harness.

As far as optional accessories, there are 3 rear sprocket options, 42T, 48T and 58T. There is a chain primary drive upgrade available too.
There are supermoto wheelsets available. I will be doing a few vids soon to show everyone the parts.

Very cool. Sounds like a fun space with some interesting challenges.

It's my understanding that the Chinese Govt. has a fairly strong hand in all business (w/ exemptions for various foreign companies operating in nation). Essentially structured as though the entire nation is one giant company and the Head of State also ultimate Chief Executive Officer. That's how you'll see CEOs (more like COOs in the larger scheme) who go a bit rogue now and then suddenly vanish into State run "rehabilitation" centers as leadership for major operations change unexpectedly. All a bit behind a veil for me still.

Distributors have regional monopolies on the bikes?

Marksteamnz said:
Aebrennan said:
Sur-ron vs Subaru 150m race

https://www.facebook.com/mi.micky.520/posts/150667182428199

Great balls of fire! std or tweaked and derestricted controller?

I wonder what the numbers 50, 100, 150 are related to?
Would be nice if it means kmh.

Probably just meters. Kmh would be sweet though. I don't think I will ever want to go 150 kph on this!

but have some secret mods done to the motor

Oh come on,, really? So what secret sauce are they using? Snake oil i bet :roll: so what is 'version 4' going to have? Sounds like disbributor marketing bull to me.

Will these be available? Luna said no when I asked them about the factory sprocket.

I am the guy that designed and make all of Luna's fancy Bafang sprockets.

I will sell these Sur-ron sprockets when they are finished after anodizing on my website at www.sur-ronusa.com

Luna might also sell them at some point but we haven't talked about it yet.

aebikes.com.au has 42t, 48t and 58t sprockets in stock. They also have a primary drive chain kit to replace the belt as well as rear hubs (and more it seems like, including used and demo bikes for purchase).

motomoto said:
Here is the tweaked version of the 58t. A little sexier.

58 tooth 1.JPG

That is sexy Kim, put me down for one as soon as its available. I contacted Luna about getting a steel sprocket, no dice, at least not directly from them. BTW, mine is scheduled to arrive thursday, so feel free to hurry on production :D .

Just drew lucky order number 49000 with Luna... Definitely excited to get them in and put them to use. I have been following as well for some time, and wanted to say thanks to Kim for the advice so far.

I am planning to swap the light out, adding a fender, and then ordering a couple 58T sprockets as well... then wearing the tires out :D

@heyena... keep the vids coming! I like the upgraded moto bars and grips!

madin88 said:
Marksteamnz said:
Aebrennan said:
Sur-ron vs Subaru 150m race

https://www.facebook.com/mi.micky.520/posts/150667182428199

Great balls of fire! std or tweaked and derestricted controller?

I wonder what the numbers 50, 100, 150 are related to?
Would be nice if it means kmh.

The numbers represent the distance in metres 0-150m drag race.

I suspect they are testing the new sine wave controller with FOC, but it could just be distributor marketing bull....

The 58T tooth pros - more torque, more low speed fun, easier wheelies, more dangerous.
cons - less top speed, less top speed , less top speed

I would like a 52-54T if Motomoto is tooling up, as i feel the bike tops out too quick now on the flat sections that i hit on the trails.
It is even more annoying as the speedo still shows 70kmh when it clearly is not. I need to use GPS or fit a wheel speed sensor for accurate testing. I will need to test the top speed for the 42t sprocket as well.

Aebrennan said:
It is even more annoying as the speedo still shows 70kmh when it clearly is not. I need to use GPS or fit a wheel speed sensor for accurate testing. I will need to test the top speed for the 42t sprocket as well.

Isn't it possible to program the wheel size somewhere?

Looking forward to your vids or more news about the parts and supermotor version.

I would like a 52-54T if Motomoto is tooling up

Same here. I think a 53T would be the perfect compromise. But a 58t will still be better for me than stock as I got a lot of mountains around here.

stonezone said:
aebikes.com.au has 42t, 48t and 58t sprockets in stock. They also have a primary drive chain kit to replace the belt as well as rear hubs (and more it seems like, including used and demo bikes for purchase).

I already knew about the 58t sprocket with 112 chain but can you explain the second part? What does this mean "they also have a primary drive chain kit to replace the belt as well as rear hubs", could you put an image? I may understand it in my language, but I'm not that good with english.

racingame said:
I already knew about the 58t sprocket with 112 chain but can you explain the second part? What does this mean "they also have a primary drive chain kit to replace the belt as well as rear hubs", could you put an image? I may understand it in my language, but I'm not that good with english.

here is a good reason for the primary drive belt to chain conversion.. premature belt / sprocket wear :

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&p=1359899#p1359899

the primary drive is from motor to jackshaft.. the secondary drive is from jackshaft to rear wheel..

TB2ywkJdQonyKJjSZFtXXXNaVXa_!!3280167576.jpg

fechter said:
What size chain/sprockets are you thinking of for the primary reduction?

with the primary drive chain and sprocket conversion you may want to keep the same sprocket outside diameter as the stock belt drive to maintain the same reduction without having to use a huge sprocket at the rear wheel.. but since chain drive does not need as much chain wrap on the sprocket as belt drive then you could go down to ~13 tooth (420 chain) for the motor sprocket (don't go much smaller or it will wear faster) with a bit smaller diameter second sprocket..

artisanstone said:
I went ahead and ordered one. The only complaints I've run across are that front brakes might be a tad weak and rear sprocket could be bigger. Any comments on those issues? Also any parts compatibility?

I'm guessing that "light bee" comes with downhill mtn bike style brakes with 8" disc rotors.. for more front brake leverage and bite (to endo, lift the rear wheel like trials) you could probably run larger diameter 9" / 224mm rotors such as from Hayes.. i think some ppl on here are even running 10" rotors on some of their ebikes (Rix) ???

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
fechter said:
What size chain/sprockets are you thinking of for the primary reduction?

with the primary drive chain and sprocket conversion you may want to keep the same sprocket outside diameter as the stock belt drive to maintain the same reduction without having to use a huge sprocket at the rear wheel.. but since chain drive does not need as much chain wrap on the sprocket as belt drive then you could go down to ~13 tooth (420 chain) for the motor sprocket (don't go much smaller or it will wear faster) with a bit smaller diameter second sprocket..

This is true, I am guessing that Sur-Ron has some kind of Delron guide that protects the chain from grinding on the swingarm. Running a 12t or 11t would cut into that deeper causing accelerated wear.

Back