Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Aebrennan said:
Here are some pics of the newly fitted primary drive chain conversion, 13-30T sprockets.

That came out great. Is the primary chain conversion kit something that Sur-Ron sells Or is it something you are doing?

Aebrennan said:
You can find the manual for the Fastace forks on the www.aebikes.com.au website under downloads.
Do not attempt to add air pressure to the forks without reading the manual first, you may do a Hyena. :roll:

If you remove the key switch surround, you can unplug the brake sensor cables and prevent unwanted brake cut/safety when using the throttle. I have removed them completely on 2 of my bikes.

Out of the box the chains (Choho brand) are poorly lubed, a good clean a proper MX chain lube will get a quiter chain instantly.

Hope this helps a few new owners.

So in reading the manual, the bottom leg (left leg) is the positive air chamber and the top of the leg is negative air chamber. The verbiage is somewhat hard to interpret as this is obviously translated, but if I am reading this right, set the sag (30-40mm) with the bottom positive chamber first then add air to the top negative chamber so both have the same PSI, which will somewhere between 50-100. Looks like there is a slow and fast circuit on the right leg for rebound as well. The circuit on top of the cap which has a 12 click positions, and the circuit on the bottom which is inside of a hex shaped screw. The top is obviously for slowing rebound, is the bottom just a high speed circuit then? Do I have this right?

Attachments

• FASTACE_ALX13RC_146_Manual.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
So I was not happy with the Fast Ace fork from the beginning. The RST Killa fork that came on the test bike was awesome with
zero maintenance. With the Fast Ace, the right side started weeping oil from the seal after the first easy ride. The factory sent
me a new one right away. After several weeks I noticed the forks were lower in their travel. I bought a Fox shock air pump
on amazon for $23 because I knew that when the connector is unscrewed the air leaks out and spoils your air pressure.
I recommend the pump to every Fast Ace owner. My fork keeps leaking air from the main chamber to the negative air chamber
and the fork gets lower and lower. To temporarily fix the lowering fork you let the air out of the top of the fork (negative spring)
so the fork pops up. Then you connect your Fox shock pump to the Schrader valve at the bottom front of the tube and pump it up
to 70 or so PSI. Make sure the fork is all the way extended. Unscrew the pump quickly as it leaks some air out as it is removed. I do the same thing with the negative air chamber from the top of the fork, but put in 40 or so PSI. Figure out what pressures work best for you.

Did you folks get the option to choose what fork you wanted from the Luna site? I don’t recall seeing that option. Thanks everyone for the great info!

motomoto said:
So I was not happy with the Fast Ace fork from the beginning. The RST Killa fork that came on the test bike was awesome with
zero maintenance. With the Fast Ace, the right side started weeping oil from the seal after the first easy ride. The factory sent
me a new one right away. After several weeks I noticed the forks were lower in their travel. I bought a Fox shock air pump
on amazon for $23 because I knew that when the connector is unscrewed the air leaks out and spoils your air pressure.
I recommend the pump to every Fast Ace owner. My fork keeps leaking air from the main chamber to the negative air chamber
and the fork gets lower and lower. To temporarily fix the lowering fork you let the air out of the top of the fork (negative spring)
so the fork pops up. Then you connect your Fox shock pump to the Schrader valve at the bottom front of the tube and pump it up
to 70 or so PSI. Make sure the fork is all the way extended. Unscrew the pump quickly as it leaks some air out as it is removed. I do the same thing with the negative air chamber from the top of the fork, but put in 40 or so PSI. Figure out what pressures work best for you.

Finally someone speaking my language. Thanks Kim for the info. I will stick with your ratio, except I will go 80 PSI on the bottom and about 45 PSI up top. I think my weight is outside of the max limit range, 245# however, while riding smooth and avoiding air time, I should be fine.

Rix said:
Aebrennan said:
Here are some pics of the newly fitted primary drive chain conversion, 13-30T sprockets.

That came out great. Is the primary chain conversion kit something that Sur-Ron sells Or is it something you are doing?

Yes this is produced by Sur-ron, another one of their secret options that they dont tell anyone about!
Luckily i came across it in their parts catalogue when looking to replace my large belt pulley.

motomoto said:

I havent had any issues with the Fastace forks. I run 100 in the lower and 80 in the top no problems with leaks.
I find the RST fork even on full compression uses the full travel of the fork on the same trails tho.

The recent batch of bikes we have received no longer has air chambers, it is purely spring with no adjustment on the left leg.
I have been told this is due to many people having issues maintaining them. It is likely that most people are just pumping up the top chamber and blowing out the seals from the start.
We recently supplied Hyena with a new (spring) left fork leg as his had issues, when we pull it down and investigate we will see what has happened.

The recent batch of bikes we have received no longer has air chambers, it is purely spring with no adjustment on the left leg.

I must have the older fork then. BTW, do you have any 58t sprockets laying around I can buy?

Hi all. Just picked up my Sur Ron on Friday. Took it for a short test ride up and down my street for a couple miles, love this thing so far. This new version has the following upgrades as I have noticed so far:

1. Powerful headlight. In fact I’m a bit concerned that it’ll drain more than I’d like. It also doesn’t have a shut off switch so that kind of bummed me, but it’s good quality in a metal housing with heat fins. It does get warm hence my concern about power consumption esp without a switch to stop it. Only qualm is that putting on the handlebars is a bit of a pain since I have to shove the light in the front screw between the clamp. Doesn’t affect tightness much tho. Also can’t adjust without a 3mm hex.

2. The bike seems just as if not a little faster, but tbh it was pretty quick to begin with, even version 1 so that’s not a huge concern. That being said, I hit 30 mph on flat ground in the street on the speedo on EC mode which is what I find myself in most of the time (for now).

3. I wasn’t asked or even given the option to choose my fork, so I ended up with the RST forks. I do love the adjustability on the shock and the ease of it vs using air pumps and such, but these feel a bit soft for anything serious and the thin tubes where the triple clamps go seem a lot weaker than the FastAces inverted design. I was hoping to hit some trails on this thing and now I’m a bit worried. Also kind of bummed that it’s a very conspicuous white fork on a pretty much all black and dark grey bike. Also really wish these were inverted as well. Looks cooler and is stronger and can def take larger hits just by design, but doesn’t seem like any have failed yet. Hopefully I can swap them out for FastAces? Seems like they’re pretty great once they’re dialed in.

Other than that, pretty similar to before, but this is based off of pictures I’ve seen and when I rode motomotos test bikes.

Also, picked up a set of motard wheels with sprockets and chain but haven’t run that yet. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I must have the older fork then. BTW, do you have any 58t sprockets laying around I can buy?

I have a factory 58t that I got from "Sun Tong" a guy that works for Sur-ron and and is a dirt national champion in China.
I let him borrow a Sur-ron bike when he came over to scout the US national supermoto series which he is going to compete
in starting in Boise Id come April. I built a fixture and have the Solidworks file which I showed and have a sheet of 7075 material
to carve up. I might make up 52 tooth sprockets because the blanks are 9 inches and the 58t are 10 inches. The sheet is 48.5 inches
wide and I don't want to waste any material. I will get 30 58t blanks and 22 52t blanks out of the sheet I have.

By the way, Sun Tong wheelied the Sur-ron bike in our parking lot in an amazing way, using the rear brake to balance
the bike. So impressive. I have spent untold hours trying to get up to speed with it, and show glimpses of having it.
I should get some video but have a problem of choking when I think others are watching.

motomoto said:

I have a factory 58t that I got from "Sun Tong" a guy that works for Sur-ron and and is a dirt national champion in China.
I let him borrow a Sur-ron bike when he came over to scout the US national supermoto series which he is going to compete
in starting in Boise Id come April. I built a fixture and have the Solidworks file which I showed and have a sheet of 7075 material
to carve up. I might make up 52 tooth sprockets because the blanks are 9 inches and the 58t are 10 inches. The sheet is 48.5 inches
wide and I don't want to waste any material. I will get 30 58t blanks and 22 52t blanks out of the sheet I have.

By the way, Sun Tong wheelied the Sur-ron bike in our parking lot in an amazing way, using the rear brake to balance
the bike. So impressive. I have spent untold hours trying to get up to speed with it, and show glimpses of having it.
I should get some video but have a problem of choking when I think others are watching.

I will take one of your 52t if thats what you make first. Also, do you know what the BCD for the Sur-Ron Sprockets? I found a place that will cut them and drill them up to 65T out of aluminum, not that I need one that big. I mic'd the center out at 52mm wide but don't want to remove the wheel and sprocket to measure the BCD.

Aebrennan said:
Do not attempt to add air pressure to the forks without reading the manual first, you may do a Hyena. :roll:
In my defense, they were already leaking otherwise I wouldn't have touched them :p
It could be that having the forks ratchet strapped down for shipping is putting too much pressure on the seals. It would be ideal to ship them unpressurised but then I guess it would require everyone to have a shock pump. After transporting the bike on the weekend with the forks strapped down in my trailer I noticed both coming and going the forks lost all pressure from the bottom chamber which essentially left them bottomed out until I pumped them back up. But my failure mode is the same as motomoto described - all pressure going from the bottom to the top chamber and then losing all travel. I'd also get oil spraying/foaming out under pressure when I tried to leak some air out - not sure if this is standard or a result of the above fault. I also noticed the bottom valve can be sticky, perhaps clogged by the oil as above, but on a few occasions I'd put 100 PSI in the bottom chamber only for it to completely hiss back out once the shock pump had been removed.
But anyway as Adam said it sounds like in future these will ship with dual coil forks. But it sounds like the current batch Luna is shipping are the previous versions and depending on how many they ordered the US customers might be seeing these for a while yet.
I'll report on the difference once I fit mine this weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, here's a shot from mine just gone :)
I have some video coming soon - including a drag race with a 125cc pit bike which is a comparison I've been wanting to do since getting the bike.
Both helmet cam and overhead drone footage too 8)

surron-jump2.jpg

Just unpacked my new Sur Ron and can't wait to get it out on some trails.

I also got the RST Killah fork and have to admit I was pretty disappointed. I swore I saw it posted somewhere in the forums or on Luna's site that all their bikes would be shipping with the FastAce forks. I'm about 6'2" and 215lbs, so worried I'm going not going to be happy with the RSTs - I also plan to use my Sur Ron up in the Rocky Mountains during Elk hunts, so I'll be on game trails, old rutted out logging roads, dense forest/rocky/steep, etc where the better turning radius and durability/MX spec of the FastAce was appealing.

There definitely wasn't an option when I ordered to specify the fork - which is why I also thought everything would be shipping with the same fork option. I guess I should have asked specifically prior to ordering as I may be stuck with what I got. Any advice?

motomoto said:

I would love to get in line for one of those 58t sprockets! Need all the torque I can get in the areas I'll be riding.

Gloert16 said:

I also got the RST Killah fork and have to admit I was pretty disappointed. I swore I saw it posted somewhere in the forums or on Luna's site that all their bikes would be shipping with the FastAce forks. I'm about 6'2" and 215lbs, so worried I'm going not going to be happy with the RSTs - I also plan to use my Sur Ron up in the Rocky Mountains during Elk hunts, so I'll be on game trails, old rutted out logging roads, dense forest/rocky/steep, etc where the better turning radius and durability/MX spec of the FastAce was appealing.

There definitely wasn't an option when I ordered to specify the fork - which is why I also thought everything would be shipping with the same fork option. I guess I should have asked specifically prior to ordering as I may be stuck with what I got. Any advice?

You may want to just get a stiffer spring. When buying a set of rockshox domain dual crown forks they came with three springs from soft to hard. It would be of use finding out the diameter and length of the spring in the rst fork to see if any other manufacturers springs will fit.

Hi all, new here but have been looking at the Sur-Ron for a while. I was originally going to mod my fat tire bike(electric motor etc) but decided against that after looking at the Sur-Ron. So far it looks to be a great bike. For those owners is this bike what you thought after you received it? Still deciding on getting the bike. Just not 100% yet. How is the power after say a few miles? Does it start loosing power? or stay pretty much the same until near empty?
I also want to use this on some sidewalks to get to some trails, but am considering adding the pedals just to not get harassed to and from.
Thanks for all the great info so far. Dave

Blade59rt said:
Hi all, new here but have been looking at the Sur-Ron for a while. I was originally going to mod my fat tire bike(electric motor etc) but decided against that after looking at the Sur-Ron. So far it looks to be a great bike. For those owners is this bike what you thought after you received it? Still deciding on getting the bike. Just not 100% yet. How is the power after say a few miles? Does it start loosing power? or stay pretty much the same until near empty?
I also want to use this on some sidewalks to get to some trails, but am considering adding the pedals just to not get harassed to and from.

Its an amazing piece of kit. I ride mainly unsealed country roads in full power mode and usually flat out. At 15% the battery monitor was flashing but full power was still available. I'm a crap rider so it flatters me even in loose gravel piled up on the side of the road. Also using it as a farm bike where it has a number of advantages, quiet round stock but with a horn that shifts stock when you need it, handles steep stuff easily (way past this riders level of confidence)
I have $2500 invested on a 1500W Dillenger kit plus a disk brake front end on a full suspension mongoose mountain bike frame plus I had to machine a few custom bits to get it all to fit. It's great but I'm not riding it now I'd rather be on the Light bee

Gloert16 said:

i-know-that-feel-bro-13879187721275890828.jpg

On Luna's "documentation" site that they lead you to, it states that the Fastaces are production forks, so you're absolutely right. Honestly, I just touched base with them and although it's not set in stone, it's unlikely they'll be swapping them out for free. They are working to get Fastace forks in, and will be offered separately as an upgrade? I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I only have 4 miles on my bike and I'm itching to put more, but I really don't want to kill any opportunity to swap these out for Fastaces. I have a dark grey bike and the white forks are killing me. If they were black I honestly don't think I would mind that much, but the skinny stanchions on top look kinda weak compared to the rest of the bike. Even my roommate said that, which was :(

EDIT: The RSTs are the better forks. Please see below. I’m torn.

Blade59rt said:

Honestly, even with the RST forks that I am not a fan of at all, I absolutely love this thing. It is a blast and the torque delivery even at super low speeds is unreal, coming from riding 2 strokes most of my life. The power does not drop much over time, they did a good job and currently it's in the V3 with a lot of improvements over the original. Do make sure you ask for Fastace forks when you do get the bike though, or prepare to be disappointed.

I would totally skip the pedal kit. I wanted it, until I realized that it's like being on the lowest of the lowest gear of a mtn bike...in other words you'll need to pedal like 3-4 revolutions to get the wheel to spin once...pointless.. The Sur Ron OEM pedal kit is basically the same thing, but they include a new chain and tiny rear sprocket...which kind of kills all your torque and will most likely overwork your motor, turning it into a bicycle basically :roll: I’m not a fan of the pedal kit, but that’s just me. Doesn't look good with it on either. If you get harassed, just put it on Sport and book it and don't go back. The people who will most likely harass you will definitely not be able to bother you further.

m3t said:
On Luna's "documentation" site that they lead you to, it states that the Fastaces are production forks, so you're absolutely right. Honestly, I just touched base with them and although it's not set in stone, it's unlikely they'll be swapping them out for free. They are working to get Fastace forks in, and will be offered separately as an upgrade? I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I only have 4 miles on my bike and I'm itching to put more, but I really don't want to kill any opportunity to swap these out for Fastaces. I have a dark grey bike and the white forks are killing me. If they were black I honestly don't think I would mind that much, but the skinny stanchions on top look kinda weak compared to the rest of the bike. Even my roommate said that, which was :(

if you end up keeping the RST forks because you can't get an even swap for the fastace, etc but the white color really bothers you then maybe just paint the white fork lowers black or whatever color you prefer.. you could use vinyl wrap over the existing color and it could be removed later if desired without damage to the original paint.. they also now have vinyl coatings available in spray can (at auto parts store, walmart, etc) for very easy application, again also removable later or easy to touch up if needed.. of course mask off and do not coat any of the moving parts..

m3t said:

Prior to buying two bikes, I spoke with the rep who confirmed they were ‘all FastAce’ going forward. Not sure how this is going to work out, but there was never an ‘upgrade option’ that I was aware of?

**edit. Received a note back from LC. The RST is a $50 upgrade option on the website (just added) and they included it for free to the early adopters.

jph3 said:
m3t said:

Prior to buying two bikes, I spoke with the rep who confirmed they were ‘all FastAce’ going forward. Not sure how this is going to work out, but there was never an ‘upgrade option’ that I was aware of?

**edit. Received a note back from LC. The RST is a $50 upgrade option on the website (just added) and they included it for free to the early adopters.

Same. I can confirm this. Apparently the RST is the better fork, worth $50 more...also the RST has Magnesium lowers, which explains why it's so light. Now I'm torn. Tbh the Fastace looks way cooler though, but I have heard good and bad. Anyways, LC updated their website so now you can choose your forks. If you get the RSTs though, consider yourself lucky. I might just keep them and then buy Fastaces down the line if I really want it. I'm not disappointed with the RSTs though, performance wise, I'll tell you that, but I am only 160 lbs without gear so I think the Fastaces are really more suitable for the heavy riders/jumpers. I'm more interested in the trails, so it might be better with a softer fork? Man, life is hard. jk

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
m3t said:

if you end up keeping the RST forks because you can't get an even swap for the fastace, etc but the white color really bothers you then maybe just paint the white fork lowers black or whatever color you prefer.. you could use vinyl wrap over the existing color and it could be removed later if desired without damage to the original paint.. they also now have vinyl coatings available in spray can (at auto parts store, walmart, etc) for very easy application, again also removable later or easy to touch up if needed.. of course mask off and do not coat any of the moving parts..

You have a good point and at the moment I’m more leaning towards keeping the RSTs and painting them black.

Motomoto has both and I’ve ridden both, and to be honest the RSTs are more plush and feel more responsive, but then again I think his Fastaces had some issues that he is getting taken care of, like Hyena mentioned above. As much as I love the Fastaces and how they look, I think for lighter riders, the RSTs are the way to go, but only time will tell. All I know is that motomoto has taken his bike with the RSTs to the track and has thrashed it quite a bit with no issues so far. Not 100% sure but if you have unused RSTs and don’t want them, you may be able to swap them out for the Fastaces, but know that you’re giving up $50 essentially plus shipping (not cheap). You’ll need to touch base with Luna on that first though.

Could a person put a Fox 40 or some other capable downhill fork on one of these bikes?

Raisedeyebrows said:
Could a person put a Fox 40 or some other capable downhill fork on one of these bikes?

On the supermoto picture, I think the bike had fox forks (unless they were just stickers but I doubt it). I’m sure it can be done, just gotta make sure you get the proper triple clamp. The forks are a piece of cake with the right clamps.

Back