Suspension seat

If you find yourself wanting the saddle positioned all the way fore or aft, it’s sensible to get a post with correct setback to achieve the desired position with the rails clamped closer to the center of their range.

My favorite seatpost for that duty is sadly now a historical artifact:

Vintage-SR-Sakae-Ringyo-MTE-100-Fluted-Adjustable-wayback-Seatpost.webp

It did mount to the seat post (odd 26.5 mm diameter) of my old 1985 mountain bike though. Took it for a 7 mile ride and it was very comfortable. Did not feel hard at all.

IMG_3122.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

The rails are too wide for the seat post clamp. Aren't saddle rail dimensions standardized?

Looks to me like the flat part of the saddle mounting rails are not long enough for your seat post clamp. Poor design. I prefer saddles with longer parallel sections in the mounting rails, for better range of mounting options, F-R.

Looks to me like the flat part of the saddle mounting rails are not long enough for your seat post clamp. Poor design. I prefer saddles with longer parallel sections in the mounting rails, for better range of mounting options, F-R.
Yes, the rails are too short preventing fore/ aft seat adjustment. The bigger problem is the rails are a bit too wide so they do not fit into the clamp slots, preventing me from trying out the suspension saddle on my Arrow 9.

Oh, I was going to say, usually the width between the rails is pretty standard. I am a chronic saddle swapper (in search of the holy grail I guess) (Local bike co-op sells used saddles for $6 so easy on the budget to experiment) and have not come across any that did not fit in the clamps width-wise. Talking name-brand saddles and seatposts. Have not yet tried any Ali specials.

So your Ali special there has oddball rail spacing and minimal clamping area? If you want to use it on your Arrow you will need to get a seatpost to suit.

What makes that saddle a suspension saddle?

I am a chronic saddle swapper (in search of the holy grail I guess) (Local bike co-op sells used saddles for $6 so easy on the budget to experiment)
Have you tried a Brooks leather saddle? That's one I'd like to try but they are kind of spendy.

Just measured the mounting rails on several saddles. The width between the rails varied between 41-44mm, measured at the centers of each rail. Supposedly the "standard" is 44mm. The clamping lengths varied 65-85mm+. So there is some variation, but never been a problem, at least for me.

What do yours measure?

Found this:
unnamed-23.png.webp

Maybe yours is a BMX saddle?

What makes it a suspension saddle is it flexes.

All bicycle saddles flex. That's why the saddle top is attached to its frame like a hammock, suspended at the ends from rails that attach to the seatpost in the middle. The only ways the one you are looking at differs from normal are its Spiderman motif and lack of padding.

I did a bit of investigation and have come to the conclusion the problem is with the seat post with infinite tilt, where it's top rail clamp is too long @ 52 mm, compared to 2 other seat posts that I have where the clamp is shorter @ 40 mm.

Suspension saddle easily mounts to the SR Suntour NCX seatpost without any jury rigging. On top of the Suntour is the seat post with the infinite tilt. Notice the difference in clamp lengths.
IMG_3128.jpeg

Back