Sydney group ride - - Saturday 18th August

I would just say BYO mate to save any mucking around working out numbers etc. And if it rains on the day then I know i wont be coming LOL so would most i guess as well.

So ill just bring some food and drinks etc for me.

Of course if everyone else is thinking huge surf adn turf with beers etc then im in for sure LOL.

But yeah unless otherwise stated ill bring my own.

The BOM forecasts nice sunny weather on both saturday and sunday so it should be perfect weather :)
It's been raining a few days this week so there might be a few puddles here and there in low lying spots but it should be fine for even the most basic of mtbs.

Oh dammit, that reminds me I have to rebuild the rear wheel on my fighter. It currently has half the spokes broken, about 6 in a row so I definately won't be taking that out!
Better quickly strip it and relace it tonight. Lets see how true I can get it by building it just sitting in my lap... :lol:

saiyan said:
cant wait......
can some1 provide me a mob no? in case i get lost getting there? lol

and just wanted to know, what sort of A/H you guys guna run on the day so i can plan accordingly. :)
PM sent

Cowardlyduck said:
Dang...looks like I can't come. Still got no back brakes or Regen...unless someone's got a spare 4pot Gator brake pad handy, or a Regen switch?

Cheers

Just take it a bit easier. dont not come mate!

saiyan said:
what sort of A/H you guys guna run on the day so i can plan accordingly. :)

I am going to have 1300 Watt hours I think Jay has about the same in his fighter. But i woudl think that there are others with less so we will just go as far as the smallest pack i guess.

Yeah mother ducker that's no excuse - cowardly indeed! :lol:
Seriously you'll be fine with no back brakes, we're not going to be going that mad. I rode my fighter for months with no back brakes connected and I've never had rear brakes on my commuter (only regen) As long as you've got strong front brakes you'll be fine.

That said I can rig up a makeshift regen button for you on the day if you like. Is the wiring there but just missing the button or what ?
And whats wrong with the pads ? Worn down to the metal or just glazed / noisy ?

Saiyan, Ah capacity depends on your power set up and how you plan to ride. I have an 18ah 18S lipo pack but did this ride regularly before with only a 10ah pack. Don't accelerate everywhere like a maniac and you'll last the distance fine. There's only a few little hills (mainly one coming back up after lunch) so as long as you've not used more than 70% by lunch time you'll be right.
I assume you have a CA ? If not I'll have one for sale on the day :lol:

Hyena said:
Seriously you'll be fine with no back brakes, we're not going to be going that mad. I rode my fighter for months with no back brakes connected and I've never had rear brakes on my commuter (only regen) As long as you've got strong front brakes you'll be fine.

That said I can rig up a makeshift regen button for you on the day if you like. Is the wiring there but just missing the button or what ?
And whats wrong with the pads ? Worn down to the metal or just glazed / noisy ?

Saiyan, Ah capacity depends on your power set up and how you plan to ride. I have an 18ah 18S lipo pack but did this ride regularly before with only a 10ah pack. Don't accelerate everywhere like a maniac and you'll last the distance fine. There's only a few little hills (mainly one coming back up after lunch) so as long as you've not used more than 70% by lunch time you'll be right.
I assume you have a CA ? If not I'll have one for sale on the day :lol:

Well one of the rear one's fell out when the clip holding the pin in place disappeared and the pin worked it's way out before I noticed. The regen switch is broken, but i've still got the cables.

And my front brakes are glazed. Was planning on moving the front pads to the rear and putting the new one's on the front when they come.

So hmmm, not sure. Might just come along any way. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Dang...looks like I can't come. Still got no back brakes or Regen...unless someone's got a spare 4pot Gator brake pad handy, or a Regen switch?

Cheers

Any momentary switch will work. Or perhaps the one you have can be repaired - check the back to see if the wiring has broken free from the 2 pins on the switch. If so, they can be re-soldered into place.

eg http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0700

The original switch was damaged (probably by me!) when the twist-shift for Duck's rear gears were installed. Unfortunately it wasn't discovered till after he got the bike home.

re: glazed pads, just pull them out (don't lose that pin!) and sand them down. They should go from shiny dark brown/black to light brown. I think someone already gave similar advice in the Stealth owners thread. While the pads are out, you need to put something in the calliper body to keep the pistons from pushing out and dislodging.

Hyena said:

Speaking of excuses... I won't be along for this ride - count me in next time! I'm taking it easy after my hernia surgery just over a week ago. The feeling of being kicked in the guts and nuts simultaneously is starting to get old, but it's improving a little each day. I'm supposed to stay off bikes for 6 weeks but I'm not sure I can last that long!

Have fun & take it easy guys 8)
I don't want to see any post-ride photos of people holding ebikes over their heads! :lol:

voicecoils said:
I don't want to see any post-ride photos of people holding ebikes over their heads! :lol:

Man why did you have to post something like that. I can see a group photo now! My bike is heavy

voicecoils said:
If you see a picture of me with my fighter over my head it'd be an action shot of me stacking in quite spectacular fashion :lol:
The nearest I've got is this picture of one of my first builds, which coincidently you actually took!

hyenaopps.jpg

Bummer you can't make it - next time! What are you riding these days anyway since you sold your kona ?

And yeah duck if it's just broken wires at the switch that's an easy fix. I have a gas soldering iron at home somewhere and could probably even fix it in the car park at Loftus. Or get creative with my mains soldering iron and an inverter powered from my main battery :lol:

Hmmmm still not sure.

Tried the sand paper trick...well a nail file actually...as well as some good cleaning with brake cleaner spray, and whilst it did improve the stopping power a little, I'm still not convinced on the safety. A dog ran out in front of me on the bike path and I hit the brakes locking up the front on a wet patch and sliding sideways for a bit nearly taking out the dog in the process. :shock:

I might try moving them to the rear tomorrow and see how I find rear stopping power only on a 35kg bike, but I'm not super keen.

The regen button fell apart when the wires fell out of the back. I've tried putting it back together, but it's all the delicate little parts that need reassembling, so not really possible.

I'm still keen to come, but at the end of the day I need to have a bit of common sense. I've got a lot coming up in the short term and can really REALLY not afford to be out of action due to injury for any period of time atm.

Ill try a few things, give it some more thought and let you know how I go. :)

Cheers

excuse my noobness, but i do not know nor can i calculate W/h, lol
i just go by my amp hour as i originated from rc cars.......

ye, my bike is pretty all setup. got my ca, and i have 15a/h to play with....
knowing me...i will want to thrash it everywhere. :D

I'm a bit slow at replying but, YES I will be there. I'll have 15Ah,so I should be capable of 40kms of hard riding.

If anyone else is going to Loftus by train, I will be on the 9:58am train from Bondi Junction, boarding at Central at 10:12am and arriving at Loftus at 10:55am. :mrgreen:

argh!!!

Watthours is simply Ah x pack voltage

So your 15ah x the nominal voltage. Argh's being 18S is just over 1000 watt hrs. If yours is 12S it'll be about 680 whr.

I just finished rebuilding the back wheel on my fighter so I'm good to go! Voicecoils would probably laugh at my truing job (tightened all spokes with a drill until the last of the thread just hit the nipple) and it's surpringly round :lol:

I'm bringing a falcon EV bag for nanoha, anything else I had to bring for anyone else ?

Better put me down for an EV bag if you have any available. I must work out an alternative solution to carrying all that energy in a backpack!

argh!!!

Hi Guys

Lycra everywhere at lights todAy just drove past its a sh@t fight you won't hang out there long and be careful in the national park lot of police today as I just drove from bundeena
Have fun cheers
Mar

ozman said:
Hi Guys

Lycra everywhere at lights todAy
Hunting season is open :twisted:
Thanks for the heads up though mate.
Police shouldn't be an issue, we'll not be doing anything wrong and only briefly on the road.

argh, no more bags sorry mate. I'll order you one though if you like.

It's late notice now but incase people aren't sure where to meet this is the spot.
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-34.044334,151.053029&hl=en&sll=-34.044541,151.053643&sspn=0.001722,0.003484&t=h&dirflg=w&z=17

Good think most people have internet on their phones now!

See ya'll in 10

Back