Sydney group ride - - Saturday 18th August

argh said:
I had a close shave on Thursday

:shock: Damn close. My wife had her car totalled in a similar fashion. Right lane had banked up, the left lane my wife was in was clear. The cars in the right lane had left a gap to allow turning traffic through. If my wife had been 1 meter further down the road when the car hit her, it wouldn't have been just the car that was written off.

I did find the sign on the side of the road moments before your close encounter pretty funny.
Watch Out.JPG

Ride was a blast today. Thanks to all for coming.

On my little ride to use the rest of my battery after you guy's left, I tried taking the cliff face walking path. Maaaaaaaaaaan, we thought the rock was rough on the other track. :shock: I had to walk the bike up/down a few cause they were soooo steep/hairy. Then I also managed to half sink my back wheel in a massive puddle. :lol:
Made it back fine after though. :) Buggered now...in a good way. :D

Looking forward to the videos. 8)

Cheers

Yeah, cracker of a day! Great to put some names to faces. It's really kinda energizing, doing this kinda stuff, still buzzed.

Asked for a "smile please" and this is what I got...(maybe it was all those photoshops of hyenas head on a frock that's made him so.........twisted and evil.... :twisted:
And once again the control ++ seems to work well to get the whole shot in.
Untitled-4.jpg

Hyena, Cowardly duck, Argh!

Untitled-5.jpg

steeds.

mostly where we went....
Untitled-6.jpg

then I zoomed in and found the "sandpit/funbowl" :lol:
5A90530C.jpg

I took about 30 secs of vid on my Iphone basically to test the waters but a sports camera it AIN'T. made it look like the world is made out of piano acordian so I've left it out.

Cool, I didn't realise you were GPS logging. We did a pretty good job of circling the oil refinery without realising.
Next time I'll do my best to take a route through the sand pit that results in tracing that shows a big cock and balls :lol:

I have heaps of vid, some from the sandpit is pretty distant but shows us all zooming around chucking skids and what not. I'll edit a quick segment of the drag race now because that's a quick and easy one to do.

adrian_sm said:
I did find the sign on the side of the road moments before your close encounter pretty funny.
View attachment 1
he he hee, well spotted! I noticed that when I was editing the video. :)
I expect cars to pull out in front of me - all cyclists should,... what I wasn't expecting was that death wobble.

And a Big thank you to everyone today who came to Kurnell, it was an awesome day, again! I'm glad I made it.
The weather was great, the sun was shining, the wind was strong but not bothersome. Interesting terrain, some of it challenging,.. the rest fun :)
Should get the 3D kit for the Go Pro and use both cameras - that terrain today would have looked awesome in 3D! :mrgreen:
I had a ball in the sand even though my skills suck! I need more practice to find the limits of me and the bike. :roll:
Lucky I had some battery left, there was a point failure on the train line and trains were held up indefinitely. At least I could ride home ! :)
I was going to go out tonight, so I won't get to edit any footage this evening.

file.php

But thanks to all again
argh

Attachments

• Kurnell_2012-08-18.jpg
    Kurnell_2012-08-18.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2,060
Drag race video is uploading.
I worked out whats wrong with my software - it's not 1080p it's the hero2 encoding it doesnt like!
None of my footage from today will open in the program I usually use so that's annoying.
Ah well,

Vid still uploading to youtube but when the thumbnail in the below vid shows it's done (around 1hr from posting this)

[youtube]a0HZOIXXODk[/youtube]

After watching that video (damn, I forgot to film!), I am beginning to wonder how much of that extra 50 amps is actually going to the wheel as motive force rather than as heat vented through your cooling holes. I would expect the same result with 2 of the same motors with the same current limit on bikes with 24" vs 26" wheels. - Unless the win was all down to riders skill! :mrgreen:

A chunk of the extra current is definately burned as heat but it's alot punchier off the line and in general. It was only once I was limited by top speed that you caught up. When I first looked down at my CA (49 seconds in) I was at top speed and had stopped accelerating.
With the same current limit the 24" will still be a bit quicker off the line but not as much as mine with twice the current. Again you wouldn't catch an identical setup in a smaller wheel until it was top speed limited.
Also you were crouching which makes you a bit faster - I was sitting up enjoying the the view of the surroundings cocky in my knowledge that you wouldn't take me until I ran out of legs :p

But yeah, both bikes are running the way they were set up to - your largely road going bike with slick tyres has high top speed and moderate current for a mix of performance and range. Mine with knobby tyres has more low down torque for primarily offroad riding.

t3sla said:
I think lost count at the number of excuses you just gave for not winning that race :mrgreen:

stormtrooper%2BcSS%2BLOGO%2B1.jpg

Ironically, I was PWNED by him IN THE SAME RACE :twisted:

haha yes argh won fair and square as was always going to be the case. And hobbit would have caught me soon enough too if we kept going.
I was more explaining about wheel size, current etc to Argh and that current limit and wheel size DOES matter and will determine the outcome in a long race.

I've always said an extra 2 inches is worth having. :wink:

Thats what she said!
Also, length is nothing without girth :p

Got my software issues sorted, hooray. Turns out I needed a patch for the hero2's slightly different file encoding.
I might do it in a few sections - sand pit first because after skipping though it that looks like the most fun :)

Remember playing with your toys in the sand pit as a kid ? As you get older the sand pit gets bigger and the toys get better! :mrgreen:
I didnt realise until I edited this and watched it back full screen that argh stacked it while skidding around :lol:

[youtube]zS5Gx1nxork[/youtube]

Hyena said:
Remember playing with your toys in the sand pit as a kid ? As you get older the sand pit gets bigger and the toys get better! :mrgreen:
I didnt realise until I edited this and watched it back full screen that argh stacked it while skidding around :lol:

Awesome stuff Jay, thanks for posting. Been waiting for that one. :mrgreen:
The video makes those hills look puny compared to what they were really like. :lol:

Was thinking if we ever go back there, we should take a shovel or something and make a few jumps. :D

Cheers

Yeah hills always look tiny on video, it's very hard to get a proper sense of grade or elevation. Although the video from on top of the hill looking back down gives a bit of an idea.

Yeah taking some little folding camping shovels would be easily done - even with a strap over your shoulder. Though it'd be easier to probably drive to that carpark at the end.

I really like it how, about the most complicated thing i did in that vid was hold jays bike for him but because i'm hanging with guys doing wheelies and burnouts and powerslides, it makes Me look good too. 8) ...or does it?... :|

Hobbit said:
I really like it how, about the most complicated thing i did in that vid was hold jays bike for him but because i'm hanging with guys doing wheelies and burnouts and powerslides, it makes Me look good too. 8) ...or does it?... :|

Hey, you still beat me in the drag race. :wink:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3244
3244.jpg

Just bought these last night. :D

Cheers

haha that scene is like a computer screen saver with things running around all over the place and you don't know where to look :lol:

Cowardlyduck said:
Just bought these last night. :D

They're my tyre of choice for a "mixed use" ebike. The only down side is the sidewalls are a bit thin/soft so you've gotta watch out for ninja shards of glass and thorns that flick up and spear in sideways. Crazy bobs are better in this respect but more slippery offroad. If you want to have fun in the sand though fit big slicks like argh and drift around like you're on ice :lol:
(the frozen water type, not the drug :p )

Hyena said:
They're my tyre of choice for a "mixed use" ebike. The only down side is the sidewalls are a bit thin/soft so you've gotta watch out for ninja shards of glass and thorns that flick up and spear in sideways. Crazy bobs are better in this respect but more slippery offroad. If you want to have fun in the sand though fit big slicks like argh and drift around like you're on ice :lol:
(the frozen water type, not the drug :p )

I'm over my Crazy bobs. They are dangerously slippery in both dry and wet. I liked the squeal they gave when locking up on smooth surfaces, but that was only cause of the hard compound which is what makes them so slippery as well. I just really didn't there severe lack of grip, so I'd rather live with the thinner side wall on the DMR's. :)

On another note, I found the Berm Masters ideal for the mixed type of riding we were doing on Saturday. They had enough flat spots to make them grippy on the hard rock, and they were wide enough to handle the soft sand well too.

When I was coming back to my car at the end after my last little spin, I did a massive power slide up to a gate at the end of the dirt track before the road. Gave some of the local skate boarders something to look at with their mouths open wide as I then zoomed off. :D

Cheers

Cool trails, but where are the motors ?? :p

Part 3 is uploading now - nothing too exciting but some nice sea cliff scenery

Will be live here in a few hours

[youtube]-yxAcN3yZlw[/youtube]

Back